BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I have no problem altering my day by an hour twice a year. But I guess a small but growing segment are having difficulty coping.

So,,, If we were to lock into one 'time phase', which one, the summer time phase or the winter one? If we lock into the summer time schedule, that means in the winter we north of the 49th parallel can expect it to be dark until 9:15am. If we lock into the winter time schedule, we can expect sunrise at 3:45am in the morning.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would pick summer because winter sucks regardless of the time :2cents
Its hard changing the clocks on all my bikes and truck man :eek

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
3:45am sunrise isn't much different than 4:45am. I'd say lock in for winter "standard" time. It's a needless exercise now.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It would have to be standard time, not because of the children, but because other countries that dont do the time change use it. I would be all for not switching back and forth any more. Reason for switching has become old and useless anyways.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
It would have to be standard time, not because of the children, but because other countries that dont do the time change use it. I would be all for not switching back and forth any more. Reason for switching has become old and useless anyways.
I tend to agree with the one standard time, leave it up to the employers to adjust working hours to give their employees a better chance at enjoying the summer daylight hours.
They can adjust it at 15 min. a crack so they don't have bunch of zombies for the first week of the switch.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
DST is something most folks maintaining a residential building security system have some SERIOUS difficulty dealing with.
i'm willing to bet you've had more than one system go offline because half of it's network used DST, and other devices did not, causing the network to fail.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
i'm willing to bet you've had more than one system go offline because half of it's network used DST, and other devices did not, causing the network to fail.
no network failures due to time adjustment. Most of the systems I service although on a network
are also capable of 'stand alone' mode.

The biggest issues we encounter is people *thinking the entire system is offline only because live
transaction updates are 1 hour behind and you gotta catch up to client time b4 you see 'em.

when it comes to rcmp it is a big PITA as access control systems are most often syncronized where
surveillance cameras will be off by x amount of minutes or as in dst 's case an entire hour or more.

It's gotten to the point over the past few years where itr actually effects me when it takes place, and that sucks.

getting old sucks yeh. im a wreck for at least a week when we lose an hour..

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't find the change over at all inconvenient, I'm up and wide awake well over an hour before I need to leave for work on most days.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the summer dst is nice.

I guess I'm solar powered in this respect. I'd rather have an extra hour of the sun while I'm awake.

I'd be all for tossing the clock out the window and running our lives by the sun.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't find the change over at all inconvenient, I'm up and wide awake well over an hour before I need to leave for work on most days.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the summer dst is nice.

I guess I'm solar powered in this respect. I'd rather have an extra hour of the sun while I'm awake.

I'd be all for tossing the clock out the window and running our lives by the sun.

Exactly. It's about daylight saving, having the most sunlight available to do stuff. Unless your a night owl person, or some kind of human mole, I cannot see why a time change would bother anyone. It must be sheer torture when ever they would get on a plane and fly through a time change.

I like sitting on the back deck in the summer until 9:45, but I don't like the possibility to have sunrise at 3:45 am in the summer.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
LOL ...... this thread if materialized in real life would be a bunch of old retired guys around a table at Tim Hortons!

I say get rid of one or the other, but nowadays you have special interest groups bleating about how it is going to effect their bottom line. The golfing and BBQ shills were saying how much it will take out of their pocket and I'm sure there are others who will complain in the other direction.

In a day and age where every opinion has to be listened to, give equal merit and hugs at the end ....... I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

Now I gotta go hit the head, this coffee goes right thru me, hold me seat.

·
Registered
904 Posts
LOL ...... this thread if materialized in real life would be a bunch of old retired guys around a table at Tim Hortons!

I say get rid of one or the other, but nowadays you have special interest groups bleating about how it is going to effect their bottom line. The golfing and BBQ shills were saying how much it will take out of their pocket and I'm sure there are others who will complain in the other direction.

In a day and age where every opinion has to be listened to, give equal merit and hugs at the end ....... I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

that is the past as now Comrade Horgan would guide BC through such a complex decision :)

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

coffee? gezus you are getting old.. RED TRUCK LAGER for me please ;)

but I agree with the above.. they'll sped a good bucket of cash and come up with no answers, no changes :laughing

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As we enter into another time window of armageddon doom, moving the clocks forward 1 hour, news reports of increased crashes, strokes, heart attacks, work injuries, even increased jail time issued by court judges, I really have to wonder how people deal with international air travel, getting up extra early to go skiing, a long early start on the motorbike, early shift at work, party late into the night, etc, etc???? This is another classic example of a minority of the population, loud by nature, pressing an issue to the point that government, media, think it's a majority wish. Heck, if they end up pushing this through, I could care less, I've got better things to march on the streets for. But if it does go through, I do think the extreme enjoyment of a long summer after work walks/runs/motorcycle rides are too good to miss out on, I hope that there would be a permanent lock on daylight savings time rather than standard time.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I'm ok with it today ....... because I'll be getting off work an hour early tonight!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
As we enter into another time window of armageddon doom, moving the clocks forward 1 hour, news reports of increased crashes, strokes, heart attacks, work injuries, even increased jail time issued by court judges, I really have to wonder how people deal with international air travel, getting up extra early to go skiing, a long early start on the motorbike, early shift at work, party late into the night, etc, etc???? This is another classic example of a minority of the population, loud by nature, pressing an issue to the point that government, media, think it's a majority wish. Heck, if they end up pushing this through, I could care less, I've got better things to march on the streets for. But if it does go through, I do think the extreme enjoyment of a long summer after work walks/runs/motorcycle rides are too good to miss out on, I hope that there would be a permanent lock on daylight savings time rather than standard time.
After 20 years in a career with continually variable schedules, including over night work or starting in the wee hours of the morning, plus the sleep deprivation experiment of having kids, I am also skeptical of the doom-and-gloom "statistics" regarding the damage caused by the time change. It's only an hour... and it happens on the weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts