BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BOOBIES
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with september comes rain, and lots of it as we all know. in light of the thunderstorm i just witnessed outside my house, i pose a question. what are your essentials for riding in the rain. obviously a waterproof jacket is a must, but what are the other things, what do you do for your visor, do you have a second winter jacket or do you just bundle up underneath your summer one, are you so hardcore that you still rock the shorts and flip flops, or have you sold your bike already.

just interested to see what other people do.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
rain gear over the leathers
goretex over-socks in your regular boots (over you regular socks :p )
goretex gloves

breath guard like a Respro Foggy or equivalent (if it's really cold and your visor's fogging up... anti-fog sprays or visors are available otherwise)

edit: with the above, you don't need extra layers at all... you'll be okay down to about freezing temperatures at least.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The bike is shelved come October, so no need to worry about these things. Bad weather is what cars are for. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
rain gear over the leathers
goretex over-socks in your regular boots (over you regular socks :p )
goretex gloves

breath guard like a Respro Foggy or equivalent (if it's really cold and your visor's fogging up... anti-fog sprays or visors are available otherwise)

edit: with the above, you don't need extra layers at all... you'll be okay down to about freezing temperatures at least.
yea,,you need all of thsoe for the rainy season...sucks coz i dont have all of those,,prolly the most important thing in there that you need is the Anti-fog spray......sucks when you cant see where you're goin..

just got home and im all soaked up from shoulder down to my boots....

damn....i hate rain!!

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
yea,,you need all of thsoe for the rainy season...sucks coz i dont have all of those,,prolly the most important thing in there that you need is the Anti-fog spray......sucks when you cant see where you're goin..

just got home and im all soaked up from shoulder down to my boots....

damn....i hate rain!!
you can totally get by without the spray... just a breath guard to keep your breath away from the visor.

turning your head from side to side at speed will clear the rain from the outside, or you can get goretex gloves with a squeegee built onto the finger to wipe down the visor while riding

·
Registered
274 Posts
you can totally get by without the spray... just a breath guard to keep your breath away from the visor.

turning your head from side to side at speed will clear the rain from the outside, or you can get goretex gloves with a squeegee built onto the finger to wipe down the visor while riding

have you guys ever seen a helmet with wipers on it?,,like in cars...:laughing

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Aerostich=waterproof.
BMW boots=goretex lined, waterproof.
Held gloves=waterproof.
Helmet, obviously waterproof (duh) but I keep my visor open a crack, and deal with the water on the inside.
Also, I choose to wear contacts when riding, rather than glasses. Saves me from another set of lenses with water on both sides!

I've ridden many miles in all kinds of wet weather, and staying dry makes the weather events immaterial.
I wouldn't think of buying boots or gloves or gear that wasn't waterproof. I have leathers, and have rain gear, but if it's going to rain, or raining, or I'm travelling long distances, I always wear the weatherproof stuff.
Of course, my riding style changes slightly in the wet...

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
The bike is shelved come October, so no need to worry about these things. Bad weather is what cars are for. :D
+1 for that. I ride for a hobby/sport, so unless its 100% clear, the bike stays home.

·
The Philosopher King
1,345 Posts
just ride naked....the body self regulates wonderfully...and you don't need a breath gaurd just breath out your mouth and aim it down words and bob's ur uncle

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
with the coming of oct i'm taking the 954 off the road. i just don't enjoy riding that bike in the rain, it sorta scares me. on the other hand the couch, and the drz are ready to rock all year round. i really don't mind riding in the rain, but once my balls get wet, the ride is over. i even bought textile pants that are sposed to be waterproof, that was all fun and dandy til the boys got wet. i get a feeling its the zipper, that is to blame on the textile pants, who knows.

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
My scoot stay's parked when it's rainning.
Nancy boys. Get an all weather riding suit - Belstaf, aerostich ... Sidi waterproof boots and an electric vest for a month or two from now.
Realize that your bike ... with good tires ... gives not one whit that it's raining. Ride at 70% and all is good. You guys are missing out. And raining? One n. :laughing

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Nancy boys. Get an all weather riding suit - Belstaf, aerostich ... Sidi waterproof boots and an electric vest for a month or two from now.
Realize that your bike ... with good tires ... gives not one whit that it's raining. Ride at 70% and all is good. You guys are missing out. And raining? One n. :laughing
riding in the wet is no issue, really... it's the cagers that are even worse than in the dry that are the real obstacle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I carry a Taiga shell over leather jacket that I use all through the fall (bike is parked come December ) and wear proper motorcycle rain pants over my jeans. My Frank Thomas winter gloves and waterproof boots finish the job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to plug Alpinestar Drystar pants, the most waterproof piece of gear I've ever owned.
I second this. They have NEVER leaked in all the wet weather riding I've done.

I also have;
waterproof leather/gore-tex lined gloves
gore-tex lined leather boots
Textile waterproof jacket.

I am 100% dry and warm with this gear on. A Fog City shield for the visor is also a good thing for eliminating fog.

H.

·
Bitey things are niceless
342 Posts
Between the textile jacket, and the rain pants over my riding pants, I never got wet and therefore not cold. I've always been to lazy to go out and pick up the "waterproof" gloves though, but then my hands were always warm thanks to my heated grips. A fogged vizor is rarely ever a problem if you just open it a crack, like 1 click on the cam, so there is always air moving over the inside surface.
Water isn't a problem for the bike, it's just that this city more than any I've ever visited turns stupid when it rains. Just leave yourself large stopping distances, always see and be seen, and most importantly... ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's the gear that I've found works well:

-JR Ballistic pants
-MEC cycling rain jacket (fits over my textile jacket) -Putrid Green/Yellow, just like the cops wear. (In fact when I'm wearing this will riding I notice cagers drive a little more cautiously around me)
-JR Rush glove (comes with thumb wiper)
-SeeBlade (in case I just have my regular gloves)
-Sidi Verts (a little snow seal on the leather and they're good)
-Breath Guard to fit my HJC lid (this is essential!) I really like this one because it hooks up to my vents in the front of my helmet

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get all this gear on and head out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts