BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for those of you who believe in the death penalty.

the police illegally kick in a mans door and enter his home. the occupant shoots and kills an unidentified officer in self defence and later receives the death penalty for his actions. the officer killed was the son of the chief of police and according to the district attorney, "He killed a cop so he must be guilty".

freedom? liberty? yeah right...:rolleyes


Details of the Case

Cory Maye shot and killed a police officer when that officer burst into his home on December 26, 2001. Cory lived in one side of a duplex. On the other side was a certain Mr. Jamie Smith. In a surprise midnight raid, the officers stormed Smith's side. A local police officer, Ron Jones, went around to break in the other side of the building, into the other unit of the duplex. And on that side lived Cory Jermaine Maye.

Maye was awakened from sleep by the commotion at the door, went into the bedroom and fired at an intruder. This was after the intruder had broken down the back door and entered the living room, and was coming toward the bedroom. The officer was hit by one .380 caliber bullet in the abdomen. He staggered back out of the apartment and died some hours later.

Search warrants had been procured by the police for the side containing Smith, naming him by name. For the side containing Maye the search warrant just said "unknown occupants". Police statements indicate that Maye and was not the target of the raid. Maye claimed he fired in self defense at intruders fearing for himself and his 18 month old daughter. The man he killed, Officer Ron Jones, was the son of the police chief of Prentiss, Mississippi.

Maye was convicted in 2004 by a jury comprised of ten whites and two blacks. He was sentenced to death by lethal injection.




.
 

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Fuck this 10-20 yrs on death row at cost to us the tax payers.

Fuck the ability to exhaust every possible avenue for appeal.

You receive death penalty you receive the sentence post haste.

Plus it would seriously cut down on over crowding in the prison system.


/rant off :drinkbeer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
radmtnbkr said:
Maye was convicted in 2004 by a jury comprised of ten whites and two blacks. He was sentenced to death by lethal injection.
.
Probably the worst part of the story. The very fact that they report this is sooo much a testament to where the US is still.
 

·
Mortgage Pimp
Joined
·
9,195 Posts
adamantium said:
Probably the worst part of the story. The very fact that they report this is sooo much a testament to where the US is still.

Last I heard Mississippi had to have a unanimous jury decision to implement the death penalty. So evidently those two black jurors seemed to think he was guilty also.

I'm by no means stating there is not still very real forms of racism in this world. But no one really knows what happened that night except those who were there. This however makes for a great story as racism is a hot button and everyone seems to make their own conclusions of what really happened that night.

I definitely won't trust what I read on the internet, and much less anything posted by radmtnbkr.

Truth is, this story sensationalized because of it's "hot topic" issues and media marketability. But there's no way of proving he didn't do it or did from up here in Vancouver. So unless you were there... who's to say he's really innocent... OR guilty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Joureys suck, there people who were called on and didnt want to come, they would have tried to get out of it but couldnt, so there angry they need to be there. They no nothing of statute or any form of real law or procedure, and they think anyone in front of them is guilty. I think a jourey should be a pannel of judges, its alot better than some random jo who couldnt give a shit, doesnt want to be there, and knows nothing aside from how to flip a burger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you may not like what i post but the facts still stand.

-there was NO search warrant for the home
-there was NO arrest warrant for the accused
-the police ILLEGALLY entered his house
-the defendant LEGALLY defended himself from an unannounced intruder.

END OF STORY

like it or not, this case included or not, innocent people are sometimes put to death. the death penalty is a babaric knee jerk reaction by people with the intellect of a neanderthal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CrashTested said:
Fuck this 10-20 yrs on death row at cost to us the tax payers.

Fuck the ability to exhaust every possible avenue for appeal.

You receive death penalty you receive the sentence post haste.

Plus it would seriously cut down on over crowding in the prison system.


/rant off :drinkbeer
tell that to the likes of Guy Paul Morin, David Milgaard and many others who have been wrongly convicted of a crime.

all i am saying is that we need to be very careful of how we apply the law. our system is not perfect(canada or u.s.) and as such people sometimes fall through the cracks and are wrongly accused and convicted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,614 Posts
Point to a few cases all you like. For the overwhelming majority of the time, those convicted of the death penalty are truly guilty and deserve their sentence.
How many years have we been footing the bill for Clifford Olson? David Snow? Should these men be permitted to continue living after the lives they have destroyed? Canada should reinstate the death penalty.
The average cost of housing an inmate is $60,000 a year in Canada. Put them in protective custody, along with all their programs and drugs, and the cost can soar up to $110,000 per year, per inmate.
Why should people convicted of heinous acts, who deserve to die, be permitted to continue living and further taking away from our society as a whole? Eye for an eye, my friends.
Convicted pedophiles and child molesters should go straight to the chair. There are some people who are unable to be rehabilitated, and will continue to offend given the chance, no matter how many programs you put them through, or however many restrictions you place on their freedoms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
J_Scott said:
Last I heard Mississippi had to have a unanimous jury decision to implement the death penalty. So evidently those two black jurors seemed to think he was guilty also.
many juries have convicted innocent men. the fact that two blacks also voted for conviction can also speak to how the individuals of the jury can influence one another and i have heard of numerous accounts of where the jury drags it out for days and weeks till people finally break cause all they want to do is go home so they vote to end the stalemate. while it is is rare, hope that it doesn't happen to you or a loved one.

J_Scott said:
I'm by no means stating there is not still very real forms of racism in this world. But no one really knows what happened that night except those who were there. This however makes for a great story as racism is a hot button and everyone seems to make their own conclusions of what really happened that night.
you are right, no one except the two know what really happened that night. so why should the law take the officers side when he was clearly breaking the law? doesn't the accused have any rights? is he not allowed to protect his home and family? why, when clearly the police/state are in the wrong, do their rights trump those of the individual? unlike jamiejames, i expect you to answer my queries...


J_Scott said:
I definitely won't trust what I read on the internet, and much less anything posted by radmtnbkr.
if you were to put up a webpage should i discount the information contained? is your opinion any less valid than cnn, fox and the national post? no other source of information is as pure and unfiltered. sure, you my find alot of crap but at least it is YOU that gets to make the call, not wolf blitzer. :rolleyes my friend, the internet is the greatest invention man has ever created. all of the past great civilizations combined did not have the knowledge that we have at our finger tips.

the world and universe are dynamic and complex realities that for all intents and purposes is endless and the range of possibilities are infinite. the only thing stopping us from "seeing" these possibilities is our own narrow band of reception. if we are busy with paris hilton and hockey night in canada then we do not see the events unfold in the middle east as they are nor will we have the intellectual imagination (only because watching tv is like being in a coma) to see where certain technologies are already being used. wake up...


J_Scott said:
Truth is, this story sensationalized because of it's "hot topic" issues and media marketability. But there's no way of proving he didn't do it or did from up here in Vancouver. So unless you were there... who's to say he's really innocent... OR guilty.
this story isn't sensationalized, this has been swept under the carpet. in fact i've never heard of this guy till yesterday when i stumbled upon a link from another page. the reason anyone is talking about it because of the gross and demostrable facts of the case.

i'm not trying to prove anything other than
A) sometimes mistakes are made in the legal system so we should not be
content with status quo.
B) police sometimes make mistakes and should be held accountable
C) the facts speak for themselves
-there was NO search warrant for the home
-there was NO arrest warrant for the accused
-the police ILLEGALLY entered his house
-the defendant LEGALLY defended himself from an unannounced
intruder.

in part C, those are the ONLY facts that should be discussed alongside the death of the officer. not race, not juries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SpideRider said:
Point to a few cases all you like. For the overwhelming majority of the time, those convicted of the death penalty are truly guilty and deserve their sentence.
How many years have we been footing the bill for Clifford Olson? David Snow? Should these men be permitted to continue living after the lives they have destroyed? Canada should reinstate the death penalty.
The average cost of housing an inmate is $60,000 a year in Canada. Put them in protective custody, along with all their programs and drugs, and the cost can soar up to $110,000 per year, per inmate.
Why should people convicted of heinous acts, who deserve to die, be permitted to continue living and further taking away from our society as a whole? Eye for an eye, my friends.
Convicted pedophiles and child molesters should go straight to the chair. There are some people who are unable to be rehabilitated, and will continue to offend given the chance, no matter how many programs you put them through, or however many restrictions you place on their freedoms.
dude, i'm not defending clifford olsen.(excuse me i have to puke)

Cory Maye and asshole olsen are not comparable. you can't let emotions take over in this issue. you are right though, olsen and pickton etc should be put to death but the state killing people is a lousey way to set an example. if we want a nonviolent society we must be just that, why do people not see this?

putting these animals in a jail isn't really a huge burden finacially in relative terms. at minimum, they should be working 40hrs a week like the rest of us to pay for their incarceration. i think there is a lot of beuracratic fat to be trimmed.

at any rate, my intentions in posting this were to spark debate about property and constitutional rights, police wrongdoing and the eventual murder of an innocant man by the state, not olsen et al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,614 Posts
radmtnbkr said:
at any rate, my intentions in posting this were to spark debate about property and constitutional rights, police wrongdoing and the eventual murder of an innocant man by the state, not olsen et al.
Okay. Sounds fair enough to me. :thumbup
It does sound like a pretty interesting case.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top