BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a tribute to all of those truly dedicated to motorcycling.

heres a few pics of a friend of mine about to ride home after a little snowfall.
he rides this beast all winter, and hardly ever insures his truck (unless going to the dump)

some may call him crazy but i think its awesome:rockon

if you know anyone commited as such feel free to share stories or photos.

cheers

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Personally, I call that retarded, not dedicated. :rolleyes

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Pretty dangerous, isn't it? What the hell are you going to doing when hit ice turning up onto a bridge at 100km/hr?

Today morning, the road was pretty slippery and I thought that was pretty freaky..

·
Tarded
810 Posts
I don't think I'd call him retarded for one and I know I wouldn't be riding that bike or in the snow personally but if you notice the hint of grey hair in that beard , it probably comes from experience and you simply wouldn't see him hitting a bridge or anything in that weather at 100km , or 80km or even 60km/hr in the snow and ice and that wisdom is how he has lived long enough to be able to have that grey experience patch in his beard.

No offence to the people in the lower mainland either but if he's lived in Nelson for a while this isn't just a once a year "holy fuck there's snow on the roads what do I do" thing , it's a regular occurance ...very regular.

·
Flying Beaver
74 Posts
I'm suprised no one noticed the side-car... That makes riding in snow much more managable. I think the only problems he will have is traction and that pesky 'snow-in-face' stinging sensation. Not something I would do, but good on him for the dedication.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
that's pretty cool.

he's riding that around in Nelson then?

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Not the smartest move IMO.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes... its definitely not the smartest, safest, sanest, yada yada, etc.

i still think its amazing that he loves riding so much he uses it all winter long and has been for 4 or 5 years.

using knobby tires with studs all the way around (before it was screws but wore out to fast) and a fairly big windshield to dampen the wind/snow its "not that bad"

that its even possible to make it around this very steep, and hilly area trouble-free is crazy.

the cops never bother him and gets waved right through road blocks. he says they probably think he is retarted!:laughing

i would never do it regulary. that would be sketchy. but man it looks like fun.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he probably won't be going faster than 20 >_> or he'll die!

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
Good on him. I used to drive this Virago 750 (note no side car attached) all year round and the winter months were a lot of fun. The snow days got a little interesting but I never went down though. Close a few times but I always managed to save it....talent/luck/big handful of throttle saves the day.

I look at it as an adventure we all should try. Have a few funny stories to tell now because of it. Beats sitting on the fence of life playing it safe. No fun in that now is there?

·
Registered
193 Posts
OMG I totally saw that guy riding his bike on hwy 1 around revelstoke at 9:00am on a morning so shitty that i wasnt even gonna drive my car. I was just laughin my ass of at him. Call him dedicated or whatever but Im sure he wasnt enjoying himself, it was atleast -10.

·
Terror on the Terrafirma
74 Posts
It'd be a blast. He's probably not travelling any heavy traffic'd routes, max speed 50k on the straights, he's got full leathers, and if he falls in that much snow c'mon I've hit rocks faster with less gear on my MX bike with less traction then I'm sure he's able to get. I think the only time I would get concerned doing that is when I was around cars.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I give him props for being so dedicated to something he obviously loves. The sidecar must help a little with the traction and stability.
If you have a full-face or a large windscreen to keep the snow out of your face, you can deal with the temperature by bundling up and/or heated clothing.

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
I was in north China and it was -23 and motorbikes every where..
I was thinking how good we have it here ..

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I was a kid on the prairies we used to dirt bike all the time in the winter...super fun, especially on frozen lakes covered in 4 inches of snow. My uncle used to store his Harley in our shed over the winter and when my parents weren't home I'd chuck the battery in, sometimes luck out and start it, and then cruise down the road finding isolated spots to do big V-twin burnouts (well, they were really just spinning out in the snow and dirt, but still fun...). One definitely develops a sense of balance riding in the snow, and if careful, it can be piles of fun.

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
dradonich said:
and hardly ever insures his truck (unless going to the dump)

some may call him crazy but i think its awesome:rockon
Yeah, really cool that he doesn't insure his truck... until he kills or injures someone (possibly you), financially hooping him for life, and limiting the injured's ability (possibly your ability) to find financial resources to cope with a life of assisted living.

Snowy sidecar ride is cool though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts