BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at so many bikes they are only at like 10k or whatever so whats considered high mileage for a bike?

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
Which model?
Who rode it?
Maintenance?

Based on what I've seen, 30000km seems to be high mileage for a bike (but not high in terms of how long the bike will run if given proper care).

·
gix4life
152 Posts
I wouldnt say that 30k is high mileage. I sold my 94cbr900 several years ago with 80k on it and it ran like a top. Mileage really depends on make, model and maintenance. I wouldnt shy away from a bike with higher k until ive checked it out.

·
Smooth Operator
642 Posts
30 K for a bike 2003 and older is still decent. (most 2003s with 30k are takin care of well) if your looking at a newer bike with thats many, its getting high

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My k3 1000 gixxer rolled over 35000 km on the weekend at 10000 rpm i love that bike . best bike i have ever owned .

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I wouldnt say that 30k is high mileage. I sold my 94cbr900 several years ago with 80k on it and it ran like a top. Mileage really depends on make, model and maintenance. I wouldnt shy away from a bike with higher k until ive checked it out.
I guess I wasn't clear in my post--30k seems to be on the higher end of what I see on a regular basis and that's why I added:

but not high in terms of how long the bike will run if given proper care
FWIW, my current ride has 187,000km on it, so I know that a bike isn't worn out at 30k.

·
gix4life
152 Posts
I've got a sport rider magazine from apr 99. There's a story about a guy who bought a cbr900 brand new in 93. At the time of the article the bike was six yrs old and had 322000 orig k on it and I mean all original. The motor had never been rebuilt and the owner only did routine maintenance.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Most bikes are stolen or written off before hitting 20 000k or summer weekend riders only.

As a result it skews peoples perception of "high mileage" on a bike. If properly maintained it doesnt make a difference for the purpose of buying(if thats why your asking). Unless we're talking 100k+

My bike is at 47k right now.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
I've got a sport rider magazine from apr 99. There's a story about a guy who bought a cbr900 brand new in 93. At the time of the article the bike was six yrs old and had 322000 orig k on it and I mean all original. The motor had never been rebuilt and the owner only did routine maintenance.

I remember reading about that bike, too. Like others have said, the circumstances have to be considered. A bike with only 10,000 km on the clock might have been thoroughly abused, neglected and closer to the end of its life than one with 50,000 km regularly maintained by a careful owner.

My brother-in-law bought his '82 Honda V45 Sabre brand new. He did four trips to California on it, as well as numerous shorter trips and used it for daily commuting (highway). He changed the oil and had it serviced at all the recommended intervals, and sold it about eight years later with 117,000 km on it, and still saw the new owner riding it around town several years later. I've likewise seen VFRs and CBR600s going strong well after passing 80,000 km.

If a sport bike isn't crashed into oblivion in its first 10 - 20,000 km and is well cared for, 30,000 km won't even be middle age.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
If you talk to a salesman about trading in your bike, they may use the 7,000 Kms per year as a benchmark. My 2003 with 35,000 Kms on it is a poor trade-in candidate. :surrender

·
Banned
11 Posts
If its any consolation, I picked up my first bike, a 2003 R6 with only 1800KM's on it, exactly a month and a half ago, as of today. The odo also turned over to 7000KM's today. Thats roughly 5000KM a month (as I couldn't ride much the first week). I maintain the bike well, and don't generally beat the shit out of it (I think I've seen redline once) and I expect to get what I paid for it when I sell it next summer.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
dr_kno said:
If its any consolation, I picked up my first bike, a 2003 R6 with only 1800KM's on it, exactly a month and a half ago, as of today. The odo also turned over to 7000KM's today. Thats roughly 5000KM a month (as I couldn't ride much the first week). I maintain the bike well, and don't generally beat the shit out of it (I think I've seen redline once) and I expect to get what I paid for it when I sell it next summer.
Ah. Yamaha owners. So optomistic. In eight months, will it have 47,000 Kms on it? :)

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
like these guys are saying its not only the ammount of km's to look at its the maintenance record to look at. its better if a bike has been ridden and maintained than not ridden and neglected. my 92 cbr 600 just rolled over 77,000 yesterday as i rode the piss outta it on the duffy lake loop. it was checked out at around 60k and the mechanic said its in mint shape, not getting loose or anything like that so regular oil changes and she's happy as a pig in shit.

i think its got to be a good balance of riding and maintenance, not so much just the lower the better.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
that answers that. so what are the places you could bring a bike in for inspection before buying?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts