BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To answer your first question - no, not on a bike.

I had a 10 am meeting in Pemberton and decided to take the scenic route home - had the rest of the day off!

I asked at the Shell station in Pemberton how the road is and the cashier said very, very icy. Seeing as I only have all-seasons on the rear-wheel drive cage, sounded perfect :laughing .

The road is actually fine but very sandy and icy in the shade - and bloody cold. At one point my car showed -14C outside temp. Also, bumpy as hell - probably due to frost heaving etc. Seemed much worse than my frequent Duffey rides on the bike last year. In the shaded, icy areas, there is soooo much sand (no salt that I could see) that it is like driving on a dirt road. And where there is avalanche danger/road slide danger, there are tons of rocks on the road. A couple of times you have to come to a complete stop and navigate through the debris.

So, could you ride a bike on the Duffey in winter?? Hell yes, if you are bundled up, have a dual sport with suitable tires, a big, protective windsreen (V-Strom??)... and are a sucker for punishment. Not for me - I will wait 'til spring after the spring rains and the sweepers have swept the sand off the road.

Sure was nice to let the car stretch its legs on the Lillooet/Lytton stretch, which is in mid-summer shape! A fun drive on a beautiful day.

And not surprisingly, I didn't see any bikes at all today.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeckyll said:
I've had as much fun driving that road as riding it (because I _hate_ riding it :D ).
Yeah, I have driven the road in a variety of cars, but never in winter before.

One other wierd thing - maybe because of the clear weather, but I had very clear AM radio reception through the whole route, even through parts of the canyon, except when I was near power lines . I never listen to AM radio (so maybe this isn't so unusual??) but I put the radio on 'scan' when I was changing CD's and goofing around, and found CKNW, CBC AM (at 690 and not some local repeater station) & TEAM 1040 among others, but no FM. Kinda wierd rolling through the wilderness listening to Olympic updates on CBC AM out of Vancouver.

GO CANADA :rockon

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
You'll get AM in more places then FM due to the wider band (bigger waves).

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
I did the Duffy in April a few years ago. Even then it was tenuous to ride. I stopped fairly often to keep my hands from freezing.

The delta area just before you get to the switchbacks was easily 25° C that day but as soon as you got 10 minutes above the hairpins things started to get ugly.

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
I can't wait to get back on the Duffy.

I vote we hand Jeckyll some road salt and a broom and have him post up after he's finished cleaning the road for us. :laughing

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
greenboy said:
I can't wait to get back on the Duffy.

I vote we hand Jeckyll some road salt and a broom and have him post up after he's finished cleaning the road for us. :laughing
you can't afford my rate ;)

Got any of your 3 bikes back on the road yet Steve? Or perhaps it's 4 by now?!
They seem to multiply :evilgrin

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice pics, Tony. Your thread title had me going though. Your references to AM radio surprised me. A technogeek like you and no XM satellite radio yet? I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed reception all the way to Williams Lake and back with the exception of the tunnels. Best spend I've made in a long time.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
No doubt that anyone who does long distance driving needs the satelite radio. I picked up Sirius a while ago, and being in the middle of Death Valley with crystal clear radio reception, to music I actually wanted to listen to was awesome.

It is strange driving 7000K, listening to the same radio station.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tattoodles said:
No doubt that anyone who does long distance driving needs the satelite radio. I picked up Sirius a while ago, and being in the middle of Death Valley with crystal clear radio reception, to music I actually wanted to listen to was awesome.

It is strange driving 7000K, listening to the same radio station.
how much does it cost for sirius? ive got the option to go for it but i just havnt bothered

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Sirius and XM are both approx $13 per month. I've maybe listened to a CD in my cage 3 or 4 times since I picked up Sirius in Sept.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
waterman said:
A technogeek like you and no XM satellite radio yet?
Not yet - for now my Ipod is all I need, but one day I will get a portable satellite radio for car and bike.

I posted this pic before but I love it - old skool satellite radio for the viffer :rockon

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Another Strius/XM question. Can you get a receiver that adds on to your existing in-car system, or deos it need to replace the current unit? I don't want to lose the system I have in my car now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The satellite radio has it's own transmitter, and it transmits locally to your FM car stereo (like an iPod ITrip). You set it up to transmit on a station that does not have a station currently (in my case 88.3). So to answer your question, you keep your existing setup, and simply run the satellite radio from your cigarette lighter (or whatever the new name is for those thingamajigs in non-smoking cages). Then you sit back and enjoy 100+ channels of digital sound!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Dayam! That's a hell of a deal. Even if you're not travelling, there's bugger all on local radio anyway. I'm heading down to Best Buy tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts