BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Newbie
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help from the people on this site because I know there are people with good DSLR advice. I have done a search and couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

I don't have a ton of money to spend and I have been looking at the Nikon D50, and I don't know if its worth me upgrading to the D70. I don't like the feel of the Canon Rebel xt and I was wondering if the difference in the mega pixels (6.1 vs 8.0) is going to make a huge difference.

I plan on taking action shots as well as macro. I haven't owned a SLR camera in several years and could really use some advice. I know Costco actually has the D50 right now for 889 i believe with a kit lens.

I appreciate any help.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
canon 30d is coming

·
Super Newbie
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the review sites, I'm also trying to figure out how much to invest in a body vs lenses if I get a cheaper body I can afford to get a descent lens now as well. if not I will be stuck with a good camera but a shitty lens for a while

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Whatever you get SLR, or regular digital the lens is the most ignored element. Eveyone get sucked in by Wifi and Megapixesl.

You have to capture the image first, and if the lens is junk all the photo shopping in the world won't make the shot better.

·
Super Newbie
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danke said:
Whatever you get SLR, or regular digital the lens is the most ignored element. Eveyone get sucked in by Wifi and Megapixesl.

You have to capture the image first, and if the lens is junk all the photo shopping in the world won't make the shot better.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. I would like to have 1 or 2 really good lenses. I was just not sure if the extra 2 megapixels is worth the extra $500 to go to the Canon 20D or Nikon D70

M

·
0 Posts
At this level of camera I wouldn't worry about megapixels. Unless you plan to enlarge beyond 8x10. With a good lens both cameras will produce stunning results.

My advice, if you are happy with the features of the D50, get it and spend your money on quality lenses.

·
The new kid
359 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
nothing wrong with a rebel xt. 8 mega pickle camera. in another thread about dslr it was noted the body is rather small for an slr.

was looking at the xt and comparing it to a nikon. the nikon was 6 mega pickles, and $300 more. you can get an xt kit for $1150 these days. a new in box 20d kit can be had on ebay for $1600 or so.

·
Super Newbie
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, I actually have it down to the Nikon D50 or the Olympus E500 after checking reviews etc... I don't have the cash to buy a 20D and the Olympus is 8mgp (which is not the deciding factor) and comes with 2 lenses even though I'm sure they are not great. I'm not to worried because I'm a newb when it comes to this

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I have a Canon Digital Rebel 6mp, and I love it. Body is solid and has a nice 'weight' to it.

·
The new kid
359 Posts
Stewy said:
I have a Canon Digital Rebel 6mp, and I love it. Body is solid and has a nice 'weight' to it.
When you say 'nice weight' I am assuming you mean it has substance; it weighs what it looks like.

Ironic, when I want to take a break from the weight of my 20D, I reach for my wife's 'light-weight' Digital Rebel.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
This subject really has been well discussed in a previous thread, please add to that one if you want to chat more on it. Closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.