BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is $1000-$1500 for a good digital video camer. I don't know much about them but i want enough memory for my two week trip. (I will probably be buying extra memory, i know.) I also need good battery life.
Does anyone know where i can get a good deal and also what models /specifications i should be looking for?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That first camera at the top of the linked page is ablosute kick ass the best camera. My friend is going to buy one and it has every feature imaginable and then some. It is also top quality with nothing under a 15,000 dollar price tag surpassing it. But then again its about 6 grand with tax so a little out of your budget. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, wanna be in one? You can be the guy who's head i do an endo next too.......hehe. That would be so coooolll...
Yeah, i wanna make some videos, not just bike vids but others too.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Something I just saw in Maxim (this months issue).. Panasonic is releasing a Digital Vid/Picture camera that uses a memory card of some sort and can record 80 minutes worth of video.. the trick thing is though it's the size of a credit card and about an inch thick.. check it out.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got a sony trv-530 from the bay for $1400 when they first came out. the only difference between this one and the top line one was mpeg capture onto the memory stick. its a digital 8, will record on hi 8 and regular 8mm as well. does digital stills to memory stick and/or digital 8 tape. has both usb and firewire onboard. they come standard with a 4mb memory stick, which will do something like 70 pics.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking of getting one of those canon zr MC's when i get my bike. It's a digital camcorder and pretty small in size.
Is there any way to mount it onto the gas tank of a bike ?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I've got a Canon DV camera from the ZR series (ZR10 I think) from a couple of years back. I've successfully mounted it both rearwards and frontwards using a tank bag. (Tang bag bungied down on the rear seat for rear shooting). You can also buy camera mounts .. but I've seen that they become quite expesnive.

Arai, tell me more about your 'helmet cam'.. I'm quite interested in what your doing to set this up.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually what i'd like to see is a small unit, about the size of a 3.5" hard drive, that has a video capture card and a 60 gig 2.5" drive in it, running on batteries. have a pencil cam mounted on velcro to your helmet, snake the wire into a fanny pack, and video your heart out.

i posted this question on slashdot but do you think that zealot taco would publish it?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
doug said:
actually what i'd like to see is a small unit, about the size of a 3.5" hard drive, that has a video capture card and a 60 gig 2.5" drive in it, running on batteries. have a pencil cam mounted on velcro to your helmet, snake the wire into a fanny pack, and video your heart out.

i posted this question on slashdot but do you think that zealot taco would publish it?
that's going to be rather expensive man.
i dont think there's anything out there right now that can do on the fly compression, and raw data is gigs and gigs. a buddy of mine captures seinfeld and it's 2.5 gigs for half an hour in medium quality uncompressed avi.

with that in mind there's something called capuccino(i think) that's essentially a full feature desktop machine just a bit larger than a standard HD. it has a firewire/usb so you should be able to plug a firewire camera into it. i see 3 problems with it:
a) it's not going to last very long on batteries
b) doubtful that standard HDs like constant vibration..
c) it's VERY pricey.. i think it comes with a mid range CPU and 20 gigs but because of the dimensions.. (it's about 1k-2k usd i believe).

I think it makes more sense to go with what arai's doing. if you have a regular digital camcoder, put that thing into your backpack and plug in a pencilcam and use the camera as the recording unit..

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm telling you guys.. go check out this month's Maxim in the Gear section (the one with the chick from Blade2 on the cover).

Retail is supposed to be about $470USD I think.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
adamantium said:
I'm telling you guys.. go check out this month's Maxim in the Gear section (the one with the chick from Blade2 on the cover).

Retail is supposed to be about $470USD I think.
did you forget a 0 in there somewhere?
i'll buy maxim tomorrow..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k, i thought i already posted it but i guess it didn't work. I bought one today and here are the details:
From the future shop on Broadway:
Canon ZR 45 MC $970
(he threw in a leather carrying pouch, another battery and a tape)
Dazzle DV-Editor $89.99
5 DV tapes $49.95
4 year extended sevice mumbo jumbo that i bought this once just because i might get this camera very dirty while camping and stuff
$259.99

Total price for Uncle Visa: $1568.59
Just a $69 over my budget, so i'm happy.
(A good thing about this model is that it has both input and output slots for something like a pen camera or some other extension)

Some misc. specs on the camera for those who know about this stuff:
520 lines of resolution
18x Optical/ 360x digital zoom
Night Recording and low light recording
an excellent image stablizer
still pics
USB AND iEEE plugs
ear phone and mic plugs
2.5" display
video/audio in/out

Thanks for the input everyone.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AlphaQ said:

that's going to be rather expensive man.
i dont think there's anything out there right now that can do on the fly compression, and raw data is gigs and gigs. a buddy of mine captures seinfeld and it's 2.5 gigs for half an hour in medium quality uncompressed avi.

with that in mind there's something called capuccino(i think) that's essentially a full feature desktop machine just a bit larger than a standard HD. it has a firewire/usb so you should be able to plug a firewire camera into it. i see 3 problems with it:
a) it's not going to last very long on batteries
b) doubtful that standard HDs like constant vibration..
c) it's VERY pricey.. i think it comes with a mid range CPU and 20 gigs but because of the dimensions.. (it's about 1k-2k usd i believe).

I think it makes more sense to go with what arai's doing. if you have a regular digital camcoder, put that thing into your backpack and plug in a pencilcam and use the camera as the recording unit..
i know i can do it from my camcorder, but i was hoping for something a lot more compact than that. i have seen the capuccino systems, and they are equivalent of those celeron book sized machines that were sold as DVD home theaters.

standard hard drives can handle a few g's of force while running, and many while not. i figure a hard drive mounted on oil damped rubber wouldn't feel a thing. i was thinking this route because you could just take the hard drive and plug it into your computer. no firewire, no usb, no nothing! drive just becomes another drive in your system, with a raw video file waiting for an edit. you have to figure if a laptop can go 3 to 4 hours on a battery, with full sized lcd display, up to 3 drives going, and sound, something like my idea could run for days off a laptop battery.

i didn't think it would be a commercial product. i posted to slashdot to see if any of the geeks had heard of something homebrew. i guess i should add it to the list of things to invent and make millions on.

for some reason if i crashed i'd be more upset about losing my camcorder than one of these gizmos i am thinking of.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
doug said:

i know i can do it from my camcorder, but i was hoping for something a lot more compact than that. i have seen the capuccino systems, and they are equivalent of those celeron book sized machines that were sold as DVD home theaters.

standard hard drives can handle a few g's of force while running, and many while not. i figure a hard drive mounted on oil damped rubber wouldn't feel a thing. i was thinking this route because you could just take the hard drive and plug it into your computer. no firewire, no usb, no nothing! drive just becomes another drive in your system, with a raw video file waiting for an edit. you have to figure if a laptop can go 3 to 4 hours on a battery, with full sized lcd display, up to 3 drives going, and sound, something like my idea could run for days off a laptop battery.

i didn't think it would be a commercial product. i posted to slashdot to see if any of the geeks had heard of something homebrew. i guess i should add it to the list of things to invent and make millions on.

for some reason if i crashed i'd be more upset about losing my camcorder than one of these gizmos i am thinking of.

i see your point..
that'd be cool. something i can build if i graduate from CompEng perhaps heh. as for mounting computer stuff on a bike i dunno.
collett has thing long explanation of why you shouldn't mount radios on a snowmobille: vibration causes tiny cracks in the circuit board and that fucks everything up. of course lotsa bikes have digitals speedos and whatnot and that almost certainly involves a circuit board of some sort, so trouble like that can be avoided.

now im thinking though, what sort of input would you have? a digital camcoder or a pencil cam, but the signal would be almost certainly analog.. so how would you dump it on the HD? you'd need some sorta soft etc..ack!..i duno..

btw bluestone that sounds like a very nice deal man. congrats :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Good choice Bluestone, I've got the ZR10 which is the first to come out in that line and has the least amount of options.. great little camera though.. my buddy has the one from the top of the line (not the top of the line but the one below it) and it has an optical image stabilizer.. MUCH better than the digital ones we have (i believe yours is digital as well).. it TOTALLY helps when zoomed.

Futureshop ALWAYS tries to sell the extended warranty.. don't know if I would've bought it myself.. basically the sales guys there don't make any coin at all unless you buy it.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
adamantium said:

Futureshop ALWAYS tries to sell the extended warranty.. don't know if I would've bought it myself.. basically the sales guys there don't make any coin at all unless you buy it.
Yup there betting its not gona break and your betting it is. Odds are obviously in their favour or they wouldn't be selling the warranty's never buy them myself. None the less that is one sweet camera.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts