BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two of these critters called Kids. One is 10, other is 6. Thinking of getting them started on a motorcycle.

Both can ride bicycles and quads, but neither have tried a powered motorcycle.

A 50cc might be too small for the 10 yr old, but i'm thinking of starting there anyways, just to keep the weight down and such.

Where do people buy gear for kids? I was thinking used would be ideal, then I can sell it later and move up without huge expenses. Is there a used motorcycle or motocross place in Vancouver someplace?

I will need a trailer for this too I suppose. Will have to transport it to the dirt somewhere. Trailer for 3 I guess.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Monitoring closely here. Also have "kid". 5.

Steve Crevier gave me a brief lecture on how to make a CRF 50 grow with your child, so that is what I will be getting her, but I don't know about boots and such.

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
Monitoring closely here. Also have "kid". 5.

Steve Crevier gave me a brief lecture on how to make a CRF 50 grow with your child, so that is what I will be getting her, but I don't know about boots and such.
Boots are tough, you don't want to skimp or shortcut that area really. My opinion is to not buy high end boots, buy the $129 ones... and buy them a size or so large and take some space up in them with extra insoles.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Just came from popkum (just rode the sportbike out for a look).
A guy who works there said they just signed a deal with honda amd will be getting 40 rental bikes.
He said they will have auto bikes like 50 and 80cc bikes as well as crf 110's and 230's.
They will also have lessons so you can ride while the kids learn on the bunny hill.

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
Just came from popkum (just rode the sportbike out for a look).
A guy who works there said they just signed a deal with honda amd will be getting 40 rental bikes.
He said they will have auto bikes like 50 and 80cc bikes as well as crf 110's and 230's.
They will also have lessons so you can ride while the kids learn on the bunny hill.
I know someone that works there, big plans. Hope it works out for them... although I think there will be some carnage.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be cool to stick the kids on a rental to see if they like it first. I would be interested in that, if the price isn't ridiculous.

·
GoPro Inspector
4,422 Posts
look on craigslist, there are several small bikes and also lots of adds for kids gear. I would get a pw, no gears, perfect starter bike for a kid and you can re-sell them no prob. A 50 might be too much for a wee one to learn on.

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
look on craigslist, there are several small bikes and also lots of adds for kids gear. I would get a pw, no gears, perfect starter bike for a kid and you can re-sell them no prob. A 50 might be too much for a wee one to learn on.
The PW's and CRF's once depreciated sell for what you paid for them providing you keep them in good condition. Which is nice, because not every kid enjoys it like they first thought.

Sometimes the first mashing of their face into the ground turns them right off. And that can be in the first 5 minutes of ownership.

You can always keep the bike and ride it yourself, they are kinda fun with some big bars on them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't get too wrapped up with gear when they are starting,work style lace up boots with decent ankle support are all that's needed.,full face mountain bike style helmets are more than safe enough for the slower speeds when starting out.
I would agree getting used mainstream bikes like crf"s is where the smart money goes ,and with the age spread of your kids if they stick with it the younger will likely take over the older ones bike.
At thirteen my sons on his 6 th bike,and I couldn't have found a better activity really,he's learning mechanics,fitness and is driven to improve himself,plus we spend most weekends together riding and racing

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Where's a good place to take these kids? Thinking about teaching my wife to ride.
As mentioned Popkum will be soon, but Hope has some nice easy trails and a kids play track.

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
The crf's are good. I have to mess around with the fuel screw up at the handlebar, as my son's lurches on him pretty hard.

A decent crf50 will run you $1000-1200 and hold its value.

For gear, yes Craigslist Craigslist Craigslist. For the little one, I'd recommend going with good lace-up leather ankle boots too, probably wouldn't bother with tall boots - just as long as whatever you get protects him from the hot parts of the motor, and the ankles. The tall motoboots are pretty heavy for kids that age, and just going on my son's experience, they were a major restriction in his riding. Hard to get toes under the gear shift too.

I'll be watching the happenings at Popkum, as I'd like to get my son some professional help too. I think he'd pick it up really quick from someone who wasn't related to him lol.

Def will be watching this thread. Looks like there's a few of us here in the same boat. Sounds like a group-buy in the makings. My little guy (8) has a bike and all the shit, just needs some proper help getting it going properly.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Where is this kids play track located?
Hope Tailings Pond. Up Hwy 1 heading towards lytton turn left at Nicklemine road, up the gravel road to the top where there is a gate, and ride into the pond area. There is a little track with berms and jumps, also find trails marked with a green "easy" dot and they are kid friendly. Find a trail called Moto world and its a nice area also for kids.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
hey guys i'm bringing up an old thread in hopes of an update on this Popkum deal where one can rent bikes for the kids..

also, i have not had much luck finding smaller cc bikes used for kids, we've got a munchkin who is coming of riding age
and all he can talk about is the dirt-bike he wants to get... i'm the cool uncle so i need some deets! please :D

its probably way easier to get him on a rental and figure out how he feels, b4 looking for one he can grow with

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
You got the bike show coming up. Visit Popkums and many others and see what they got ..at the Trials club they have demo days and Cascade brings some electric Osset bikes. Thats something to think about for the kid. They are easy to ride and set the power limits, no starting issues, nothing to burn them, no shifting. Start with a small 50cc.

And at the bike show they have a kids riding area for free! He can try a Yamaha PW50.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
yeah i wont be going to the bike show this year, already spent $ going to the Seattle show a couple months back... he's ridden the 50cc, that thing is tiny and hes definitely bound to outgrow it 2nd weekend out..

i grew up riding an 80cc, and found a 100cc would have been a better choice,

as far as electric bikes, i also think its important for him to get a feel for a 'real' bike and deal with all the things we have to deal with, i absolutely need him to learn how to shift!! thats kind of a huge portion of bike riding :laughing

actually i just found the website.. d'uh!! thaanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts