BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any brands universally considered the best to buy? Performance and value wise that is.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I always liked Malcom Smith for the plain gear, and Troy Lee for if I wanted to look cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So far I've been really happy with my Sidi Discovery boots & Thor Ride pants.

IMHO its the best value combo while staying in the water resistent category.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Acerbis , Sidi # 1

Thor , Moose , O'neal #2

MSR , FOX , SHIFT ....pretty much garbage .

Anything Italian made is really good, North Americian stuff in the last few years has turned into mass marketed garbage.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
And everything on the list is conveniently available at Bill's shop. :D

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Most of my stuff is Acerbis or Thor, and I'd give top props to both. Especially the Acerbis boots...they're good stuff.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
Acerbis , Sidi # 1

Thor , Moose , O'neal #2

MSR , FOX , SHIFT ....pretty much garbage .

Anything Italian made is really good, North Americian stuff in the last few years has turned into mass marketed garbage.

Actuallly Bill I got a really good pair of Fox eduro pants..they keep me bone dry, and are made of the same material as textile gear so they actuallly give some protection on the street to.

I bought my wife a pair of Alpine Stars Tech 4S boots last year, and for the price they are a solid boot. I have been using the six six one body armour, and thatws been a great investment so far.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,226 Posts
I like my Acerbis and Thor gear. Gaerne makes killer boots too! Megz really likes here Thor Quadrant boots.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Garne is pretty good , Stay away from Alpinestar. They don't warrenty or stand behind there product. They fit nice but shitty for the amount of money paid.

Acerbis has the best warrenty out there. Sidi's are great for guys with weak ankles. There hinge system and adjustable calf is well designed. By far the best of the high end boots.

661 , Fox , Shift : gloves are garbage

Shift pants back in 1998 were incredible I still have a pair. There new stuff looks good but rips and tears quickly compared to the old stuff.

Get the baggy pants for off roading. there way better and shit doesn't go down inside your boots. Plus most of them have pockets for sparkplugs, wrenches , energy bars , tow rope ... There also more comfortable and can be used for other sports.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Get some good deals here:
www.newenough.com

...or support your local shops.

It's all very fashionable stuff so if you can bare to be seen in last years colours :) there's savings to be made :thumbup

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Hmmm Why are you asking about MX gear??? did you get you bit by the dirt bug??? Have a little too much fun did we??hahaha

Best thing go see Bill and I am sure he will get you into some good stuff for a graet price.....

Or??? I may have some used stuff tthat I might sell

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
I fully agree the Gaerne boots are good. I have been using my boots from what I use to ride dirt way back when. They are Gaerne's from 1992 and the are still in good shape. I'm upgading to the new SG10 for the added protection. If you will be riding in the winter (ie: wet crap!) you will appreciate the durability. I hate to spend my hard earned cash as much as anyone but $500 on boots may just allow you to walk on monday at work.

My 661 gloves tore on both hands between index and thumb within 5 rides. My Thor gloves have at least 20 rides and are still good as new.

The Shift pants I have (freestyle, over the boot) have stood up to wear and tear and crashes very well. First season still but about 35-40 full day rides.

Buy good goggles. You need your eyes and you need to see on the trails. Find a higher end goggle with Oakley lenes ( I bought Fox for under $100).

Knee pads are a must. I crashed monday and landed with my knee directly on a rock. I have had trouble walking for the last two days but it's getting better. Imagine what it would be like with no pads.

·
Moto'ing
289 Posts
For 2006 I used:

Fox Spike Gear or my James Stewart replica from 02/03 ( The pink stuff )
Fox Forma Boots
Fox Pilot Helmet
Fox Kidney Belt
Spy Goggles
EVS Vision Knee Braces
Sixsixone collar brace

The only complains I have is the Fox Forma's. The buckle's ALWAYS come undone, and I wore through the right boot sole in one area, however the left hand boot is in perfect condition.

My Fox gear has always been good to me. I now have the Encore gear, and the Montage gear is on the way.

I was going to get Tech-10's but are they really as good as the hype?

I am able to get a pair of Gaerne's really through sponsorship..I know Transworld Gave them a 10/10 ...I just have wanted a pair of Tech 10's since they came out

I just got my Utopia rider packge in the other day, and I must say their goggles fit extremely well and I really love the style.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
alpinestar tech4 boots
thor jersey,gloves,pants.
sixone pads for elbow and knee.
thor chest protector(chest and back only)
goggles i used oakley with the double lense and vents.the fox are made by oakkley as well and fit awesome.

get a hydra pack or something along those lines,best investment for summer months.

put 86 hrs on my gear this year(from my bikes hr meter)nearly everyweekend this summer riding.didnt get to hurt so iam impressed.mind you iam a wuss.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm Why are you asking about MX gear??? did you get you bit by the dirt bug??? Have a little too much fun did we??hahaha

Best thing go see Bill and I am sure he will get you into some good stuff for a graet price.....

Or??? I may have some used stuff tthat I might sell
My wife hates you all. :laughing

I'm planning to buy something come 2008. No harm in researching my gear etc and picking up on the deals as they come along!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Bill, do you have much green and white outerwear in the shop?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts