BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I got the R1, the fuel pump's been making this noise (not the priming, that's actually pretty quiet). It's a continuous buzzing sound from the tank after the bike is started. I should mention that the bike is a rebuilt and was rhubarbed medium-well by the prev owner.

Seeing as the gas tank is above the injectors and from my understanding of gravity and how fuel pumps work, the pump doesn't really do more than force some gas in there while the bike isn't level. Do I really need it?

I can see one advantage being that it would knock off like 5 lbs from the overall weight.

Anyone done this before? Only disadvantage I can see is that when wheelieing the bike would have the possibility of getting starved for fuel.

·
lover of twins
6,105 Posts
while you're at it after nixing the fuel pump drill some speed holes in your gas tank.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while you're at it after nixing the fuel pump drill some speed holes in your gas tank.
That's just stupid.

I'd rather drill them near the ram-air intakes to get more airflow into the airbox.

·
lover of twins
6,105 Posts
That's just stupid.

I'd rather drill them near the ram-air intakes to get more airflow into the airbox.

how about an air scoop on top of the tank that feeds thru the tank and into the airbox?

the venturi effect should also help pull more fuel into the carburetors.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
The fuel system is pressurized, yes you need the pump

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think it should be fine to bypass it, just add a manual hand pump to the top of the tank so you can keep it pressurized, when the bike starts to slow you pump it up a bit and your good.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I'm sure he has one lying around

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few people messaged me overnight saying that I need the pump because the fuel injectors require it... can I just remove those too?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I don't see your laptop? How do you expect to fix your bike without your laptop

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Please please please tell me this entire thread is some inside joke
Why would it be a joke?

$_57.jpg

Does anyone know how to separate the throttle bodies from the fuel injectors? I think I might be missing a step somewhere...

As an aside, anyone looking to do this can use the rubber dustcap from one of the high beams to bring the hole left by the lack of fuel pump to something more suited to a fuel line. I used a soldering iron to melt it to the tank. Seems to be holding so far.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Unless you are changing to Electric, Hydrogen, or Nuclear power, you will need a fuel pump.
Even carbs on these bikes need a fuel pump as the tank is below the carb float bowls. Has been that way since at least 1996

1 - 20 of 41 Posts