BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Like apricot but bigger
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a legal form (from the Gov't?) with this on it? Just curious as our sport makes us think ahead and plan for the worst at times...
Any advise is appreciated.
Horst

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
Dude, do you really want a DNR order? Odds are they won't honor it... those work for people that are terminally ill and has to be added to a persons medical chart by a physician.
If you are a young guy that falls off your bike and stops breathing they aren't going to search your wallet to see if you have a DNR order and I highly doubt your going to laminate it and pin it to your chest while you ride.

http://www.bcacl.org/index.cfm?act=main&call=788F8794

·
Like apricot but bigger
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya actually, Im 41 and as an Adult I think I have the responsibility and right to choose if I live or die in the event I am seriously injured. Do I wanna be a burden to society, no. Do I wanna be fed by a spoon, no, Do i want strangers wiping up, no, Do I wanna be in pain till I die, no, Do I want a spongebath from young nurses, yes. I was thinking of laminating a card and stickin it in my leathers and another one in my bike. Seriously, Its a decision we have to make for ourselves and families according to our own belief structure.

So that means no on the knowledge of a gov't form then eh.

·
Registered
57 Posts
there is no binding document you can produce in BC. you can put together a living will with the help of a lawyer but even these are just suggestions that your surrogate decision maker (usually spouse, children or parents) use to make decisions for you in critical care situations. putting together a will such as this gets expensive with a lawyer involved and there are a million different situations you have to come up with answers to.

for young healthy people the most important thing to do is to inform your family members of your wishes if such an event were to occur. the problem of course arises when you get the terry shiavo situation when the spouse has a different opinion than the parents.

the other thing is that often wishes change. for example many young people would say "i would never want to live if i was quadriplegic" (i.e. couldn't move my arms or legs), but often after a time of grieving people adjust and live relatively happy productive lives once they have dealt with their injuries.

hope this helps

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Horst said:
ya actually, Im 41 and as an Adult I think I have the responsibility and right to choose if I live or die in the event I am seriously injured. Do I wanna be a burden to society, no. Do I wanna be fed by a spoon, no, Do i want strangers wiping up, no, Do I wanna be in pain till I die, no, Do I want a spongebath from young nurses, yes. I was thinking of laminating a card and stickin it in my leathers and another one in my bike. Seriously, Its a decision we have to make for ourselves and families according to our own belief structure.

Do I want to be a burden on society? Sure, why not? Get some value for my taxes finally.

Wanna spoon feed me? Sounds OK.

Strangers wiping my ass? Like gardening, I would prefer if someone else did it. So yeah, wipe away Pedro.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
Do I want to be a burden on society? Sure, why not? Get some value for my taxes finally.

Wanna spoon feed me? Sounds OK.

Strangers wiping my ass? Like gardening, I would prefer if someone else did it. So yeah, wipe away Pedro.
hahaha.

Ryan

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
Horst said:

Did you even read that link I posted? A DNR order is not appropriate for what you think you want.
Give power of attorney to someone responsible and give them clear instructions for when and if the time comes.

OR just don't wear a helmet. Can't do CPR if your head is gone.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
3fifty3 said:
there is no binding document you can produce in BC. you can put together a living will with the help of a lawyer but even these are just suggestions that your surrogate decision maker
A 'living will' is as close as you will get... and they are not perfect.

Of course, you can fill out an organ donor card & tape it to your helmet with instructions to take what you need, when you need it :eek

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've solved this self-same dilemna, by having an iron clad Power of Attorney with an individual whom has been carefully instructed.
(she has a list).
Having an up to date Will, and Power of Attorney, ensures your wishes are met.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
I know this has been covered on here before. Though I did a quick search but couldn't find the thread.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Horst said:
Does anyone know if there is a legal form (from the Gov't?) with this on it? Just curious as our sport makes us think ahead and plan for the worst at times...
Any advise is appreciated.
Horst
In BC, if you have a terminal condition or nearing the end of your 'natural' life, you can order a "NO CPR" bracelet. In 2001 this replaced the DNR. www.medicalert.ca

I dont think a NO CPR is what your after. If you have a crash and end up a vegetable, you probably want to get some sort of 'no extended artificial life support' clause.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Tattoo it on your forehead, but chances are, someone will have to look up what "DNR" or resuitate means.

·
"Exhale" by Noah
220 Posts
I've been thinking about this alot recently. My birth and surrogate parents don't seem to see eye to eye on anything but both seem to have my best interest at heart in their own unique way. I think it would be up to me to put my wishes into writing and give them each a copy to ensure they are followed through.

I would want all measures to be taken initially to save my life but if they fail I would like to be allowed to go in peace. I'm not sure how long I would want them to work on me and wait to see if my condition improves before they start shutting the machines off. Maybe a lawyer could help me figure that out....I don't want to be a vegetable with pressure skin ulcers and machines that regulate my heart rate and breathing. Some may think that's an ok way to live, but not me.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I want to live forever. Freeze me and rocket me into space where future man a thousands years from now will find me on his space voyage and fix me.

·
Meh... that's nice...
518 Posts
If you're curious to find out more about DNR's talk to your doctor. We still have a few patients that ask for them and have them in their chart... most of them are the elderly tho. Your doc will be your best point of reference for that if you want and need more info.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,731 Posts
michael said:
I've solved this self-same dilemna, by having an iron clad Power of Attorney with an individual whom has been carefully instructed.
(she has a list).
Having an up to date Will, and Power of Attorney, ensures your wishes are met.

Do I still get the bike and car?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts