BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Tank bag yesterday to replace my large oversize (waterlogged) tank bag (the map pocket had a fish tank of water after my last Wednesday s2s ride) :laughing .

Previously I would keep my wallets, mp3 players well away from the bottom of the bag (usually in the map area).

However with my newer, smaller tank bag, keeping items away from the bottom is no longer an option.

Has anyone had any experience with tank bags de-magnetizing your credit cards, bank cards, mp3 memory etc?

Ralphael

·
Bitey things are niceless
342 Posts
I usually ride with a smaller tank bag and have never had a problem, but then I'd never considered it either. All my cards have always worked, and my mp3 player always plays tunes, but often both are in an inside zippered pocket of my jacket when I ride too, it just depends on the day. I suppose anythings possible. Interesting point.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please tell me your kidding..........
now why would I kid?

I've had experience in the past where my bank cards did get de-magnetized from store security de-magnetizers by store clerks placing my card near or on them.

I've checked that the magnets are powerful enough to grip metal plates when placed within the bag, which may mean that tossing a wallet into the bottom may mean that the CC strips can be erased.

However newer technology may mean that CC and electronic gadgets these days may be more resilient to magnets; as even my phone case has a powerful magnet for the clasp. I still keep my phone case well away from my wallet, just in case.

Ralphael

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I still keep my phone case well away from my wallet, just in case.

Ralphael
You should keep yourself well away from motorcycles in general, just in case.

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
why is everyone bagging on the guy?

I've had no problems with tossing my cell phone, cameras, wallet into my magnetized tank bag.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
they will not only de-magnetize all your electronics and cards, they will also cause sterility in men over the age of 23........so i've heard.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Everyone's a comedian.

Any quality magnetic tankbag should have a protective lining in it to prevent it from damaging your cards or digital camera's etc.

To find out if your has this, place a few quarters in there and see if they'll slide around, or if they're held in place from the magnetics.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
I know an MRI scanner will wipe cards. My stepfather bet someone he couldn't throw his cards across the room and get them in the "tube". He lost 5 quid, but it cost his friend about 10 new cards

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone's a comedian.

Any quality magnetic tankbag should have a protective lining in it to prevent it from damaging your cards or digital camera's etc.

To find out if your has this, place a few quarters in there and see if they'll slide around, or if they're held in place from the magnetics.
Thanks Kent. I figure that a quality tank bag would have tested for the most obvious fact.

Surprisingly, the quaters do slide around where-as my metal cig case sticks.

Anyways, since my new bag has a side pocket I'm planning to stick my wallet in there instead. I was just asking just in case one day I forget and toss all my valuables into the bag to find that everything has been wiped :laughing

they will not only de-magnetize all your electronics and cards, they will also cause sterility in men over the age of 23........so i've heard.
I'm sorry to hear that Patrick; I'm assuming that this is by experience? :laughing

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Patrick; I'm assuming that this is by experience? :laughing
yes..yes it is. my mother bought me my first tank bag when i left for California for 7 weeks. when got back....i couldn't father children anymore!! i kept that tank bag for 13 years before realizing that THAT was the reason for only have 2 children in my life instead of the 14 i should have. my new tank bag magnets are shielded from my now useless manmarbles. oh and back to the original question, quarters also slide around in my new tank bag and no metalics stick inside so its shielded. awsome tank bag too!!

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
It doesn't de-magnetize the credit cards but you may not be able to have kids

·
The Philosopher King
1,345 Posts
"myth busters" did an episode on this and as i recall they busted that myth and said the magnet it takes to mess up a card has to be really powerful

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"myth busters" did an episode on this and as i recall they busted that myth and said the magnet it takes to mess up a card has to be really powerful
I love that show and use to watch every episode (haven't been watching recently).

Good to hear that it takes a powerful magnet before it messes up your card :rockon

·
n00b
704 Posts
IIRC, the strength of the magnet had an effect, but it was the movement of the magnet that was the real cause of demagnification of CCs. Simply placing the card on the magnet and the removing it did not scramble any of the code in the CC strip, but moving it around and around on the magnet before removing the CC from the magnet did scrample the CC's magentic strip pattern, thus making it useless.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
It's a combo of the strength of the magnet and the distance between the cards and the magnet. A weak magnet rubbing on the card will do the job. A strong magnet will also erase cards if they are close enough.

But close enough is relative. I tried erasing an old floppy disc with a magnet years ago. I tried different distances with a strong, for the time, magnet and reading the disc with the 'puter. I was shocked that i had to get the magnet down to actually almost touching the outer plastic before it made the disc unreadable.

From that I'm guessing that today's supermagnets would do the job at about the distance of two layers of corrugated cardboard. I'm not sure how susceptable CC's are but I'd say that if you can keep them more than a slice of bread thickness away then you'll likely be fine.

Most magnetic bags have steel pucks in the base of the bag for the magnets to stick to. That alone will control and limit the free magnetic field that gets into the bag. It should be enough to protect your CC's.

If in doubt try writing some files to a floppy disc ( you DO still have one on your 'puter don't you?) and wipe the disc around in the bottom of your magnetic bag then try to read the files. If they are OK then your CC's should be OK.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If in doubt try writing some files to a floppy disc ( you DO still have one on your 'puter don't you?) and wipe the disc around in the bottom of your magnetic bag then try to read the files. If they are OK then your CC's should be OK.
I would have thought a steel plate would do it. Unfortunately my new fangle ultra delux mini bag has tuck in pockets for the magnets.

However I like your floppy disk idea, Very good suggestion Tee Tee.... (now do I remove the floppy from the plastic case before or after rubbing? j/k :laughing)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts