BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

What is the duration of your Bike Insurance

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you buy the full year of bike insurance or if you are on pay by month, wish to buy full year if you could afford it?

I bought full year figuring that there must be days between now and spring that are ridable, plus I hate the hassels of having to scramble to get insurance.

Ralphael

G

·
Nah, it's not worth it. Maybe once I start working. I just hate sitting at home on a rainy thinking about the 5 bucks I just wasted.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I only insure the "winter bike" year-round cuz it's cheap. Otherwise, the other bike gets insured March -> November... cuz it's NOT cheap. :rolleyes

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Similar to SkipTkt but I let the liter bike lapse in November (December this year: a mistake) and insure the POS the first day of decent weather in December/January and take out 3 months on that bike. Insure up the liter bike usually in the first couple of weeks of February when the first nice sunny but brisk days come about. Gotta watch for the road salt though. It's brutal on the aluminum. In the winter I try to go for rides on the newer bike when there have been a few days of rain and then a stretch of sunny days where the salt trucks haven't been out.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
sice discovering the sheer joy of dual purpose...I can never consider riding anything else through the winter months. cheap insurance, fun for the offroads, and fun on the street to:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
full year, i think it's cheaper and i cancel it when it's not rideable

can we cancel insurance while it's at the dealership being fixed? or maybe a cheaper one such as storage insurance

yea i'm a cheapass

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I almost sold the cruiser to buy a dirt bike to ride all year round plus gain more riding experience but came I was forced to my sences (plus my accountant bitching) to tell me to wait a bit more.

Soon I wanna try dirt biking in the snow!

·
Newbie Again
151 Posts
Year round. In my case, there's not a lot of money to be saved by not insuring it. I have basic through ICBC, because I have to, but collision, compehensive, etc. is through Megson Fitzpatirich in Victoria, which is wayyyyy cheaper ($500 for everything beyond basic for the year!). The rub is that you have to have over 10 years with your class 6 to qualify and the rate is completely dependent on your driving record.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
April or so til October.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i'll have a full year on my bike and i just transfer the insurance to my POS winter cage when its time..then transfer it again to my bike at the first sign of good riding climate...

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
Year round. In my case, there's not a lot of money to be saved by not insuring it. I have basic through ICBC, because I have to, but collision, compehensive, etc. is through Megson Fitzpatirich in Victoria, which is wayyyyy cheaper ($500 for everything beyond basic for the year!). The rub is that you have to have over 10 years with your class 6 to qualify and the rate is completely dependent on your driving record.

Ditto that....I do 6-7 months in summer with ICBC, but keep Megson running for the whole year, that way baby is still covered for fire/theft etc during the hibernation period

·
VROM FAN
479 Posts
I almost sold the cruiser to buy a dirt bike to ride all year round plus gain more riding experience but came I was forced to my sences (plus my accountant bitching) to tell me to wait a bit more.

Soon I wanna try dirt biking in the snow!
My 350 is insured, if you can touch the ground you can try it Pete :rockon

Cheers

Robert

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I rode year round for a long time. But honestly, it took the fun out of riding with freezing my nuts off and days that are too short to go anywhere else than a short blast within the city limits.

And corrosion problems you'll get on your scoot after they salt the roads can ruin all of your fasteners and the finish on your paint.

The bike's in storage from October to March. It's a long, long six months. I break it up with a trip to Maui, where I rent a bike and get my fix. But I seem to enjoy riding more when I limit my riding to when it's going to be guaranteed to be enjoyable.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I rode today [S2S] on my older bike. Certainly not the same as August... but I don't expect it to be. Regardless, it did my soul good... ;)

·
slower than ...
783 Posts
Insured year round.
I justify the expense by spending as much of the winter as possible in California

1 - 20 of 40 Posts