BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on riding to work and was wondering if a bike cover would help against thieves.

Inputs please.

·
Cafe style Racer
138 Posts
Well I dont think it can hurt.....Outa sight outa mind way of thinking, but I wouldnt think for one min that its going to deture a potential theif from helping themself to your toy.....just make sure you dont get a cover that advertises whats under it!!! "hey eveyone look, a new Kawi Ninja!"
Just my 2 cents.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I always feel better with mine on. It's one more step/something else to remove. if anything it helps keep looky-loos away from sitting/touching your bike.
It's definately not going to stop a thief. just helps to make you feel a little better about leaving the bike.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
I'm sort of torn between yes and no on this one. On the one hand, with the cover on, you're right it will be one more thing they'd have to remove. But on the other hand, if someone sees something covered up, they might think "well, if its worth covering up...I might as well take a look."

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
My bike security in underground parking consists of a bike brace and a full bike cover, haven't had a single problem. People have even broken into my van and stolen my tools but they didn't touch the bike, which is parked right next to it. And it is a shiny new R1.

·
Registered
913 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
yes, much less chance of eyes feasting on a bbq cover thingy instead of a shiny new R6
Agreed.

Your 2005 636 you say you have will look far less attractive than a shiney new crotch rocket glistening in the sun. I wouldn't say its a security device, but throwing a cover on it won't make it eye candy for everyone who passes by it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it depends both on what type of cover you use and where you keep it. For example I keep my bike under a car cover in my carport. When the car is there it's impossible to move it without moving the car first anyways...but when my car is gone...it's not obvious what's under there. But if you keep it on the street I'd think it would only (maybe) deter someone looking for a joyride. If someone really wants it cover or no cover they'll take it.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I always cover up my bike. Just another thing to hopefully cause some thief to look elsewhere.

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
I'd go with a cover. Someone looks a lot more suspicious checking out someones gray cover opposed to scoping out a shiny bike, no?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jaybo said:
I always feel better with mine on. It's one more step/something else to remove. if anything it helps keep looky-loos away from sitting/touching your bike.
It's definately not going to stop a thief. just helps to make you feel a little better about leaving the bike.
:laughing LOL, god damn looky-loos!!!! That word is hilarious.

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Phibber said:
Well I dont think it can hurt.....Outa sight outa mind way of thinking, but I wouldnt think for one min that its going to deture a potential theif from helping themself to your toy.....just make sure you dont get a cover that advertises whats under it!!! "hey eveyone look, a new Kawi Ninja!"
Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. Get your self a generic cover from Crappy Tire and it could be any kind of bike under there. Stay away from the R6, Ninja and CBR covers. I like the outta sight outta mind way of thinking! Which reminds me, I should go cover up my '82 Honda Shadow with my Crappy Tire cover.:devillook

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Back in my Harley days, the dealer told me to get a cover with "Honda," on it, for security purposes.
What I'd really like is all the bike and car thieves to contribute to this thread.
C'mon all you members of the puke community?
Awaiting a trial date?
Not yet convicted?
Convicted and still offending?
Give us your opinion. Would a cover deter you from stealing this rider's motorcycle?

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
I've come back to my bike a couple of times and have seen that someone just started to take the cover off before the alarm went off and sent them running. Whether a would-be thief, or just a looky-loo, the fact that they left it alone was good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The only downside that I know: the areas that are enforceable by police your supposed to keep your license place visible.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
It's a good idea .

Best trick ever is put a motion sensor light under the cover but wire it to a radio in your room. If someone lifts the cover will your sleeping your now wide awake and ready to surprise them.

R

·
0 Posts
when i covered i lost my license plate, but not my bike, when i was uncovered i came down to a missing bike. if you get a cover you can get one with a set of re-enforced holes in the bottom so you can run a cable lock though it. we all know cable locks are quick and easily cut but it means the only person lifting your cover is a serious thief and in that case it doesn't matter what you do, they'll take it.

·
The Band-Aid Bike
212 Posts
I say get one. It wouldn't hurt. It could help prevent some booger from vandalizing your bike, like they did to mine. I keep mine covered now so the 'lookyloos' (i like that word!) have nothing to look at.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts