BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
streets belong 2 us
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not race related but due to riding the rear brake for slow wheelies i seem to be cooking the fluid a lot.. my bike is an f4i with dot4 for stock.. can i flush it and use dot5?

thanks

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Switching types, even after flushing, can cause the rubber to break down in the various components. If memory serves, going from Dot 3/4 - 5 will do just this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dot 5 is a completely different fluid and is not compatible with DOT 3/4 brake systems. I think it's silicone based?

DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3/4 systems and is the stuff you want. A DOT 5.1 container will say it meets all DOT 3 and 4 specs as well as DOT 5.1. So just flush out your brake line with 5.1.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Word of warning. I've seen first hand a complete brake system's rubber seals melt away after changing from DOT 4 to DOT 5. One thing to keep in mind is the boiling points of the brake fluid. Just because it's DOT 4, doesn't mean that it's the best DOT 4. You may get a better life out of certain fluids. I use Valvoline but the best numbers I've seen for DOT 4 was EBC race fluid.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
FORD brake fluid ROCKs...

Cos stop sharing insider secrets!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts