BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it looks like the Canada USA border will probably be closed through our northern riding season, and the 2 rallies I could on theory go to, I’ve been looking at exploration of the southern Chilcotin including the Douglas Lake Cattle Ranch. I’ve been told that the ranch has been more and more aggressive around blocking and gating FSR routes through the area. Any local knowledge about this situation would be fantastic. I have no wish to intrude upon their private land, but don’t want a locked gate at the end of a 225 mile FSR that they have decided to block without government permission.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,294 Posts
Drove through the ranch in late November/early December. Lots and LOTS of signage stating everything in the world is their private shit, but no closed gates. Lots of weirdos living around there, too.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait. What? You have to ask government permission to gate your own land? Or am I missing something here?
Basically, the Douglas Lake Cattle Ranch has been trying to permanently lock public roads through their lands, including roads to public lakes within their giant area. Recent, sort of,,,,,,, court rulings, challenge win from the heroic Nicola Valley Fish & Game Club to open roads that have been locked for up to 20+ years. EDRF Victory: Nicola Valley Fish and Game Club wins fight for public access
So in the back of my mind as I head out to explore this area on my DP bike, worry about locked gates by this family that owns this ranch [Walmart family BTW], is my biggest worry actually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts