BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
???
526 Posts
You can't pass anything on a 300 IMHO
Challenge accepted CDG, see you at the next trackday:devillook

In all seriousness though... It's not for everyone but hunting big sport bikes on twisties with a 300 is a gratifying experience. If you pass them you may break some egos, if you don't well you are only on a 300 so win win. If you need to go over 200kph then the 300's aren't for you either (if you have no desire to go fast then you really should be riding something other than a sport bike imho)

Of course I will admit that I am in a privileged position and have had the opportunity to ride many different bikes. The rush of accelerating a real sport bike off of a corner cannot be matched by a small cc motorcycle. Matching the corner speed of the small bike is hard for most riders aboard real sport bikes as well.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
You CAN ride pretty much ANY motorcycle for touring around at speed limits. Heck, a 30 year old shitter can do that providing it's in reliable nick.

As long as the bike ticks the boxes for you personally, then really that is all that matters. You just have to realize that at it's core, it's a low output motorcycle...
and you'll need to spend another 20% of the purchase price straight up for suspension to get it to handle reasonably well.. and at that, you still won't have
adjustable front suspension without opening them up and changing the setup.

Great value bikes. I think they are awesome... but they are not for me for street riding. To me one of the most important aspects of sport motorcycles are
the power/weight performance they have. And I'm coming from the current perspective of what I consider a low output motorcycle, a 600cc inline 4 Honda CBR RR.
There are times when I think, man this thing is gutless.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the advice guys! Any idea what a trade-in value of a '09 Ninja 250 with super low KM (I think 3-4k) with some minor cosmetic damage (cracked right fairing) might be? I'm sure I can sell it for $2k, but if trade-in value is at least $1500, I'd rather just save my time and trade-in for the bike. Bike is lowered for "height-challenged" people :)

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys! Any idea what a trade-in value of a '09 Ninja 250 with super low KM (I think 3-4k) with some minor cosmetic damage (cracked right fairing) might be? I'm sure I can sell it for $2k, but if trade-in value is at least $1500, I'd rather just save my time and trade-in for the bike. Bike is lowered for "height-challenged" people :)
Save your time? I'll bet if you put that bike for sale at $2000, it will be sold in less than 2 weeks. Dealers take bikes in on trade to make money, not give you market value for them. In fact,
I think that bikes worth more than $2 grand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
But the CBR500R is on the top of my list if I downsize (it looks a lot better than my SV, especially the 2016 with the LED headlights) :)
Bought a CBR500R last year for my wife. I get to ride it around once in a while.

Here is what I think:
On highways, I didn't get blown around and had no problems with overtaking and such.
ABS is good, I would definitely get that, its worth the extra $500, maybe psychological but worth it for me.
Comfortable riding position (even after shaving an inch off the seat), it is good enough for cruising around back roads and commuting.
It is fun to be on your own, on back-roads, has enough to keep you entertained and is a bit more forgiving.

It is a different kind of fun, being a smaller bike, it is more flick able, forgiving and has some some oomph once the rpm climbs above 6000.

If I ever have to go to DT, or know I would get stuck in traffic/commute, I prefer to take the Honda. We also started doing all 2up riding on the Honda.

Things I did not like:
- Lack of a gear indicator
- Foot-pegs (touring pants can get stuck on the peg, it has a weird lip)
- Horn is barely audible
- They interchanged the horn and indicator switches, this is very annoying.
- Pulling the panels off is a bit of work, especially for oil filter changes.
First three are easily fixed with aftermarket parts, takes 10mts each.

The newer (2016) ones do look better.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,516 Posts
So my wife is giving up riding, so I thought it'd be a opportunity to trade in both our bikes and get a new bike. Life has been busy for me last few years, so I only get to take it out on weekends now. Was thinking of maybe downsizing to a 300cc-500c bike.. I know I only have a SV650, but it's still a night/day difference compared to the 250. Anybody else downgrade their bikes and have any regrets? Also, any recommendation for a sporty 300cc-500cc bike with a more neutral riding position? I like the Yamaha R3, but no-ABS is a dealbreaker for me. Or should I just go full out and get a Triumph Daytona 675, which was my original dream bike haha!
I think you're going about this the wrong way, you should upsize to a bigger bike.
Since your wife isn't riding anymore you can take her 2-up on it.
I've ridden my girlfriend around a couple times on her CBR250 (that's been lowered), two of us in full gear probably had too much weight on it, but it still was fun. However not nearly as easy to do as on a larger bike.
I could get you a good deal on a 2009ZX10r...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Save your time? I'll bet if you put that bike for sale at $2000, it will be sold in less than 2 weeks. Dealers take bikes in on trade to make money, not give you market value for them. In fact,
I think that bikes worth more than $2 grand.
Thanks Bandito. I will post up an ad shortly and see how it goes. The problem is I own a small business and I work 6 days/week (60 hours/week). So any time I have off is valuable, don't have time to show bike to multiple people. I'm going to give a couple dealerships a call to gauge what the trade-in value for the bike might be.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bought a CBR500R last year for my wife. I get to ride it around once in a while.

Here is what I think:
On highways, I didn't get blown around and had no problems with overtaking and such.
ABS is good, I would definitely get that, its worth the extra $500, maybe psychological but worth it for me.
Comfortable riding position (even after shaving an inch off the seat), it is good enough for cruising around back roads and commuting.
It is fun to be on your own, on back-roads, has enough to keep you entertained and is a bit more forgiving.

It is a different kind of fun, being a smaller bike, it is more flick able, forgiving and has some some oomph once the rpm climbs above 6000.

If I ever have to go to DT, or know I would get stuck in traffic/commute, I prefer to take the Honda. We also started doing all 2up riding on the Honda.

Things I did not like:
- Lack of a gear indicator
- Foot-pegs (touring pants can get stuck on the peg, it has a weird lip)
- Horn is barely audible
- They interchanged the horn and indicator switches, this is very annoying.
- Pulling the panels off is a bit of work, especially for oil filter changes.
First three are easily fixed with aftermarket parts, takes 10mts each.

The newer (2016) ones do look better.
Thanks for the review. The horn/indicator switch might some getting used to...

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
The market has evolved away from small fast bikes. Now if it's under 600c in pretty well all cases it's a neutered learner bike.

30 years ago there were fast 400s and 250s, and there still are in some parts of the world. In North America thanks in no small part to the USA USA mentality those small fast bikes are extinct.

My trip through motorcycle ownership has been peaks and valleys of size and performance. From a sportbike to a tourer to a dualsport to another sport bike and always in the past with plenty to choose from. And I"m sure many others have experienced this same route.

Now the trip is a straight road up the mountain with the only choices being bigger and bigger. Kind of a shame.

Maybe those new KTMs will shake it up.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Drop down to 500cc for the same insurance cost as your SV. Not much under 400cc except the little crotch rockets and the 390 Ktm. The Ktm could be what you are looking for. Lots of fun, good riding position, and cheap insurance.
When did the KTM RC 390 come out??? I never even knew this existed! I think this might be the ticket I'm looking for! Small fun bike with cheaper insurance. Thanks!!! Is there any difference between 2015 and 2016 models? Holeshot has the 2015 on sale

·
Dam I got old fast
1,027 Posts
The KTM 390 has 44 hp so it's a step up from the 250 which has 28 hp, has ABS just preload for adjustment on suspension, light nimble one of the riders on Monday Ride has one 5'4'' and it fits well. Not cheap about 7400 out the door.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,068 Posts
The KTM 390 has 44 hp so it's a step up from the 250 which has 28 hp, has ABS just preload for adjustment on suspension, light nimble one of the riders on Monday Ride has one 5'4'' and it fits well. Not cheap about 7400 out the door.
That's almost FZ07 money. Heard nothing but great things about that bike, that should be a consideration, OP.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts