BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
DPT Downtown Poser Team
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All rite

this question is for my friend, not me. maybe he is about to get smoked, but wutever

My friend is taking the riding school now and he wants to get a bike right away after the course is finished. He wants to get a 749 and I am sure that he can afford it no problem. I think a instructor told him that he will learn 3 times slower if he starts on a 749 because a Ducati is hearder to ride? I personally would not recommand him to start on a Ducati Superbike just because it's not easy to manure and the clutch is very stiff. Some people say that a R6 might be better in terms of learning? But the brand new R6 has 106hp on the wheel compare to 749 which has maybe 90hp on the wheel. Does that mean 749 is better in terms of the smoothness of power delivery or it's slower so it's "safer"? From my own experience, it seems like my 748 is more forgiving than my 02 GSX-R600 before........

tell me some reasons why a 749 should and should not be the first bike
don't need to tell me that a newbie should start on a 400c.c. yayayayaya totally understand that so no thanks

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
Johnny_B said:
i doubt my 250 ninja would be faster than a duc 749....29hp? vs 90hp
Oh I'm sure theres a lot of 250 riders will smoke newbie 600 riders and maybe some literbikes riders. Sportbikes are very capable but most riders aren't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the type of bike to buy if money isn't a problem. I started on an R6 with no problems. If this guy is a dumb rider, hes probably gonna get fucked up no matter what size bike he has. If he takes it easy and gets to know the bike that he buys then its not going to be a problem.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Don't you have something he could try?:p Haven't gotten a chance to ride a 749 but I've generally found twins a bit easier to ride than a comparable inline 4. The low-mid range torque and mellow powerband seems to give them an edge. The on demand power in the lower revs might hurt him in the slower speed stuff if he's not well coordinated but I think the overall rideability is better.

·
DPT Downtown Poser Team
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gixxstar said:
Don't you have something he could try?:p Haven't gotten a chance to ride a 749 but I've generally found twins a bit easier to ride than a comparable inline 4. The low-mid range torque and mellow powerband seems to give them an edge. The on demand power in the lower revs might hurt him in the slower speed stuff if he's not well coordinated but I think the overall rideability is better.
ahahahah don't even make him think about it Rob........

are u talking about...giving it more rev at low speed?.....i think i find myself doing that at taking off from stop. The clutch is harder to control than gixxer, so it is easier to stall. or are you talking about the torque at low end rev?

·
DPT Downtown Poser Team
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beanz said:
Looks really bad when your buddy is getting smoked by folks riding 250's....
well yeah i think he will get smoked by experienced riders riding wutever. ahahahh i want him to just ride at his own pace first.......don't want to see no friend crash or something like that

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Well if he's going to turn the bike into "manure" then I would rather buy it from you. Don't waste the bike! (= heheheh

Bluepill said:
I personally would not recommand him to start on a Ducati Superbike just because it's not easy to manure and the clutch is very stiff.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
If his mind is set on a Ducati, recommend a Monster--one of the smaller ones. He can always trade up.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
i've ridden, 400cc vfr, gsxr 750, kawi 636 03 and 05, and the ducati 748. I went fromt he 400 to the gsxr 750, then back again. I leanred how to ride all over again when switching back and fourth. If he wants to be a good rider, then you know what to do. If he wants to be a poser, and doesn't give a shit about skill, then the duc I think is a much better choice than the inline 4s.

clutch control can be learned (i found the clutch to be really smooth on my friend's 748, but I'm comparing that to my 750), throttle and power delivery is much more forgiving on the ducs compared to the inline 4s. There's nothing wrong with being a poser rider, just find out where he stands and you're set.

·
Registered
371 Posts
#1 reason not to - he's a poser. Just like N drivers with their BMW's bought by daddy.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Realistically, neither one of those two bikes are going to be a good bike to "learn" on. But tell him to go for it, that's just a crashed project bike waiting to happen.

M

·
0 Posts
Why not suggest that he start on something like an SV650 till he gets his skills in order. Since money isn't an issue, once he "out grows" the SV, sell it he can then get the Duc.

My thoughts are that this is his first bike, not his last. Start on something else, then move up.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Hes obviously a 100% poser, but whatever I have a yammie. When you first get into riding, its damn fun just to ride anything! If your concern is geared towards "what'" you ride rather then just "to" ride, your a poser. Im a poser. So none the less there are some pretty sweet looking aprillia's he should take a look at. Way more PVP then a Duc IMHO.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
If he's got the cash, it's likely you'll be able to convince him otherwise.
A good friend of mine got his bike licence last summer. He was, and always has been, set to own a Harley. Common sense arguments about reliability and over-inflated price tags didn't dissuade him one iota.
My friend if very well off, and dropping $20K for a fancy bike is no big deal to him. He wanted to buy the biker image, and he did.
It sounds like your buddy. He wants to Ducati exotic because of the image associated with it, not because it's a superior machine.
Good luck trying to change his mind, but don't hold your breath. You've said what you had to say. The decision is up to him. :thumbup

·
DPT Downtown Poser Team
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all rite

please give some true advises rather than saying he's a poser just because you are jealous.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts