BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Why not
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is looking at a Monster as their first ride. I've never had much interest in this style of bike so I'm not too familiar with it. Can you guys give me some idea as to how the bike behaves, how reliable it is or other options that are styled similarly.

S

·
0 Posts
2xBlown said:
Brand new... I think he may wait for the 695, but is looking at the 620 right now.

if he's lookin at one that small than he should find a used one cuz he'll be bored within months.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
750 monster is probably the best bike ever built for a beginner rider. The one I had was very smooth and easy to ride. Centre of gravity is way lower than a sportbike very easy to handle at low speeds because it felt light weight. The streetfighter style seating position gives the best bike to rider feedback.

The only reason sportbikes make you lean forward is for wind resistance which gives less feedback and control at lower speeds.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I love my 750. The gears and the throttle behave more like in a standard car; you can start it slow and smooth. It’s still a bike and feels like it has a lot of low end power. It is very light and I had no problems controlling it from the onset.

Mind you, only other bike I have ever ridden was Z1000 and its throttle was very jumpy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I own a 2005 620 and love it. It is my third bike and has less hp than the other bikes I have owned. It currently has 1000k on it and has been dead reliable, which is not suprising as the 620 has a great record. this is by far the most fun I've had on a bike, regardless of its' modest output. I live right on the doorstep of killer twisty's which is the main reason I bought it. Also, it looks KILLER and handles amazing if your 175lbs or less. The brakes are just breaking in and getting better all the time - they're brembo! Pirelli Diablos it comes w/ are prolly a mid-level tire, but they are very capable, as I have found out already. The slipper clutch is a nice feature for beginner and everyone else too (you can really bang em down w/ no worries).

Also, the bike is great as a commuter during the week cuz its relatively comfy.

Some drawbacks: non-adjustable forks. hmmm okay...thats about it.

Hope this helps you/your friend.

·
Why not
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All your replies are really helping. Thanks a lot guys.

Block, how do you find the power? I'm concerned he will get bored with it too quickly though, he is a weee little guy. We're thinking of the S2R1000 right now due to the power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the power is sufficient. One has to remember that it is a very light bike and even w/ the stock quoted 64 hp, it really flies. Now, will it stick w/ inline 600 supersports? not a chance in the straights. It flat out honks in the twisties thou. That said, if he thinks he needs the power, then maybe the 695 or 800 would be better. I can't really answer that question any better, sorry.

R

·
0 Posts
if its his first ride, is it wise to get anything larger than 700ccs? Especially if he's a little guy...even the 600cc range is quite high although ducati's are not as powerful as the japanese 600s...I still think that ~600ccs has enough power especially for a new rider.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Nice bike, but pricey for a first bike.

I can't help but thinking a naked SV650 would be a better choice, then move up to a 1L monster.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
The Duc S2R is a great bike and it's one that no one in their right mind will outgrow. It's still a little bit more than I'd like to see under most beginners though. But if you're sure he has the self control to not be tempted at the wrong times and places then it's a nice long term sort of option. But it's a rather pricey first bike but if the money isn't an issue then I say enjoy. It's also a bike that is a bit more money to keep maintained but here again if that isn't an issue in his case then enjoy. Nothing like starting at the top! Don't mind all the whining from those of us that are green with envy.....:D

If you know that he's a power junky then yeah the 620 will bore him after the first few months unless he discovers the joy of cornering and that takes over. The 750 would be better for that case and it'll likely sell easier later on when it's time to move on.

·
Why not
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's got a good head on his shoulders and money really isn't an issue at all.

We're gonna go to RMS or John Valk this week and take a look at an S2R. He's pretty excited about it, though I keep urging him towards a used SV at first.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Just my 2kms, a repetition of a general belief offered with no offense intended. Simply: :cool I believe the bike a new rider wants ought to be their 2nd bike, not their first. Find something used, nimble & fun. Go through the 'new rider break-in period'. IE: drop the bike a few times, crash it (gently!), fry the clutch, cook the engine, rider it hard enough to leave a trail of pee behind ya... :D And then: go buy THE bike yer' wantin'.

IMHO: the Monster is an excellent choice for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. As your 2nd bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If he's the type to be thinking of some track days for later then get him onto an older bike that he won't mind rashing up and use it as a learning tool and then keep it for Boundry Bay nights and some other track time at Mission and others.

Knowing my old Duc 900SS and that the Monster is basically the same bike with no plastic I can attest to how nice it is to ride. But let him know that the steering lock range is VERY tight compared to most other bikes and it can bite when riding around in a parking lot and nearly stopped but need to finish up that last turn. Damn near dropped the puppy on the second day because of that. If I had shorter legs and not as strong I probably would have.

·
Registered
763 Posts
this will have unlimited opinions. tell your bud if he wants the monster than get one and be happy. as a first bike the 620 is great. power is like a 400 I4. great fun wringing its neck. personally ive tried open class bikes and ive tried 250 smokers and given that capacity range i think the best ones for street and track are the middle weights. so if he really wants to go for the one time buy the 800 s2r is all he'll ever need.

oh yeah as a first time rider tell him not to get too excited about twisting the throttle. going fast is easy - turning and stopping is the hard part.

good luck with the bike hunt.

D

·
0 Posts
Hey...I have a Ducati Monster S2R - 800....this is my second season with it and so far have no issues....I absolutely love this bike, it handles incredibly in town and on the commute, and smokes through the twisties on any road you can find...I can keep up with the jap bikes in the twisties but don't stand a chance on the straights....top speed is around 190-200 km/h (so I a told ;)). The Monster is great until you hit the longer rides 4+ hours and then your bum goes numb, and the lack of wind protection on the longer open roads (like the coquihalla) becomes tiring after a while...for this reason I am looking for a 2nd bike (full-on sportbike) for the longer rides and save the monster for the commute....I will never give up my monster!!!

As for where to buy, I bought at RMS and although they were OK to deal with they don't seem to give a shit about Ducati and stock very little in the way of parts and/or updrades (add-ons)....I would not buy another Ducati from them, I would only buy from John Valk...they know Ducati's and seem to have a passion for them, plus the service is exceptional, last time I had my bike down there to pick up some accessories (which they had in stock), John Valk himself washed my bike while we waited!!! Don't buy from RMS, go to John Valk, you won't regret this decision....

Go for the Monster, if the S2R 1000 was available last year when I bought I think I would have bought that...although the 800 is definitely powerful...is there such thing as too much power???

Have fun and be safe.

D

·
0 Posts
bababoy said:
this will have unlimited opinions. tell your bud if he wants the monster than get one and be happy. as a first bike the 620 is great. power is like a 400 I4. great fun wringing its neck. personally ive tried open class bikes and ive tried 250 smokers and given that capacity range i think the best ones for street and track are the middle weights. so if he really wants to go for the one time buy the 800 s2r is all he'll ever need.

oh yeah as a first time rider tell him not to get too excited about twisting the throttle. going fast is easy - turning and stopping is the hard part.

good luck with the bike hunt.
Since we are talking Ducati's....bababoy...how do you like the 748R???? I am looking at buying a full-on sportbike and the 749S (I know a little less racey and less HP than the R) is near the top of my list..along with the new Triumph 675 Triple. I do like the 749S because of the adjustable riding position (seat, forks and pegs), and generally like the V-twin growl of the Duc's....

Would you recommend the 749??? Are you able to keep up with the jap bikes on the straights as well as the twisty's??? Would you buy another??

Any comments appreciated....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Ducmonster, if you're looking at a bike for longer hauls I think you may find that the 748 or 749 is a rather racy riding position. You've already got a great playbike so why not look at something with a little more touring ability that can still sport when wanted. A Yami YZF600R (not the R6, the older one) or the newer Honda CBR600F4i with the one piece comfy saddle. Both of these bikes offer a sporty but relaxed riding position and saddles that coddle your bum. Toss on a set of soft bags and you have a sport touring bike. In particular the older Yami has a nicely protective fairing. Similarly the older ZX-6R (reincarnated as the new ZZR600) has a wonderfully protective fairing but not quite as good a saddle as the other two. But a Corbin or similar would fix that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts