BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=146498

Ducati squeeze 110bhp from 570cc single!

Supercharged Compressore will boast superbike power but remain light and reliable, reckons British singles expert

13 May 2002
By Gary Pinchin

Ducati have unveiled plans for an outrageous update to its Supermono programme - a new supercharged single-cylinder 570cc motor that punches out 110bhp.

You can read the full story on the Compressore in the latest issue of MCN, out May 8, but here’s the outlines of the project.

Called the Compressore it will combine light weight with big power and reliability. That’s what Russell Savory reckons, and he has more experience of supercharging single-cylinder engines than anyone else in the British bike industry.

In 1992-3 he was commissioned by Yamaha to develop a supercharged XTZ660. It is thought he has also provided consultancy work for the Compressore.

Savory refused to confirm that but said: " The Supermono is a much stronger engine than the XTZ. It now makes around 80bhp and with a modern Testastretta head the thing has got to deliver over 110bhp. Imagine the light weight of a single-cylinder with that sort of power. It would be an absolutely killer road bike. I’d buy one myself! "

Ducati’s UK boss, Pier-Paolo Guidi, confirmed the project was being worked on. He said: " The bike is in development. There is great interest in it and we will see what emerges from it. I can’t say any more. "

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
thats some crazy stuff :eek

wadda they call those single cylinder bikes again? thumpers or something???

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
Canadian_Gixxer said:

i like calling them "one lungers"

·
Burn it up
163 Posts
Canadian_Gixxer said:

they might......thumper is the common term used to describe 4 stroke dirtbikes......ive just never heard it applied to street b4.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the bike is making all that power, and I doubt it will be having a high rev. ceiling, the crankshaft and gears will have to be made of superstrong materials to take that kinda power......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts