BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Duffey loop Sunday July 8 7am

The weather is finally looking good, and I've been itching to do the Duffey for weeks now. I want to be rolling before 7am to avoid traffic, so meet 6:45-ish on Wildwood Lane immediately west of the traditional meeting sport at St David's United church, Taylor Way at Upper Levels ( the church asks that people not use their parking lot on Sundays, and while we'll much earlier than their services, that's worth respecting). Be fully fuelled and ready to roll at 7:00 please - no planned stops till Pemberton. Brisk pace, but not planning any impound action!

Breakfast and/or coffee and a bite at the Pony in Pemberton.

Might do out and back - 500kms 7 hours.
Tempted to sample the new pavement on hwy 12 to Lytton - 600kms 8hrs looping back down the canyon to Vancouver - most probably, actually...
Vaguely possible to add in Spences Bridge > Merritt > Princeton 800kms 10 hrs, but unlikely, as I feel no great urge to submerge into homebound tourist traffic on Sunday afternoon thru Manning Park, despite the pleasures of hwy 8 and 5A.

·
Accelerus Maximus
701 Posts
Might join you - will text in AM... depends on
how late things go this evening

Drive BC is not showing any paving on 12 :0)

Some work on the south end of the canyon

PS: S2S has been positively lined with guys
with pistolas... in a lot of creative locations
not used for some years

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great, Stuart. thanks for the heads-up re S2S. haven't been to Squamish yet this year. I kinda reckon they might not be on the job yet by 7 am ( you don't go fishing in an empty pool, as Bandito put it many years ago), but I'm not looking at warp speed there anyway.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so, as I said to Stuart, who was out late enough to decline to join me; that was really smooth... and so was the pavement."

* cool temps to Pemberton. Pony Espresso is not open on Sundays till 11, so I had my 2nd breakfast at Mt Currie Coffee Co - a good ham and egg bun!
* no drama on the Duffey. quite a few cars till Joffre Lakes parking, which was the usual zoo; then very light. only gravel of note was in the last 180, just a couple 'k' before dropping into the Seton Lake / Lillooet flats. the native cop was 'on duty' on the roadside just at the entry to town, as is pretty typical.
* hwy 12 south from Lillooet to Lytton is now, as previously reported, repaved and gorgeous. I defy anyone to ride this 'moderately'...
* very light traffic down the canyon. there is alternating one-way traffic at Alexandria bridge, which is being resurfaced, but I just slid to the front along the shoulder and presto - empty road...
* only 'domestic' police activity I saw ( or detected) was a cruiser lighting someone up northbound on the double lanes about 15 kms north of Hope. light traffic = light enforcement too.
* typical traffic from Chilliwack in, but just light enough to keep moving briskly, and 'loose' enough to allow 'progress' via excursions into the right lane

away from Taylor Way at 7. home at 2:30 pm. bathroom break in Squamish; 1/2 hr gas and breakfast in Pembie; gas again in Lytton; and again at Mt Lehman Rd. 607 kms door to door on my odo.

lest we forget how fine the Duffey is:

IMG_1915 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_1921 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

and hwy 12 is now awesome:

IMG_1932 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_1934 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

saw only about a dozen northbound vehicles from Lillooet to Lytton, and had to dispose of two cars and one RV, plus one other motorcycle.

great day...

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
* hwy 12 south from Lillooet to Lytton is now, as previously reported, repaved and gorgeous. I defy anyone to ride this 'moderately'...

IMG_1934 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

saw only about a dozen northbound vehicles from Lillooet to Lytton, and had to dispose of two cars and one RV, plus one other motorcycle.

great day...
Your photos are always excellent Don. I need to do a loop through Spences Bridge, Lillooet, Lytton and Hope now. Cheers

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Peter. we live in a beautiful province, and it's a great pleasure to roam thru it. and as to your loop, it sounds like a bunch of the Manning Park section is repaved too.

I must add that this was my first 'major' outing after getting back from my big trip out east, and the contrast is stunning. the riding here is so 'easy'. mostly, local roads 'flow', and we completely lack the ongoing, tight, technical stuff so common in the Appalachians. here, 600 km days are a breeze; out there, 400 kms make for a very challenging work-out. I wish we had more 'tight stuff', both becuz I like that style, and because the speeds are so much lower that the consequences of mistakes are less dire. but it is what it is, and I come home with a smile on my face anyway...

·
Registered
406 Posts
so, as I said to Stuart, who was out late enough to decline to join me; that was really smooth... and so was the pavement."

* cool temps to Pemberton. Pony Espresso is not open on Sundays till 11, so I had my 2nd breakfast at Mt Currie Coffee Co - a good ham and egg bun!
* no drama on the Duffey. quite a few cars till Joffre Lakes parking, which was the usual zoo; then very light. only gravel of note was in the last 180, just a couple 'k' before dropping into the Seton Lake / Lillooet flats. the native cop was 'on duty' on the roadside just at the entry to town, as is pretty typical.
* very light traffic down the canyon. there is alternating one-way traffic at Alexandria bridge, which is being resurfaced, but I just slid to the front along the shoulder and presto - empty road...
* only 'domestic' police activity I saw ( or detected) was a cruiser lighting someone up northbound on the double lanes about 15 kms north of Hope. light traffic = light enforcement too.
* typical traffic from Chilliwack in, but just light enough to keep moving briskly, and 'loose' enough to allow 'progress' via excursions into the right lane

away from Taylor Way at 7. home at 2:30 pm. bathroom break in Squamish; 1/2 hr gas and breakfast in Pembie; gas again in Lytton; and again at Mt Lehman Rd. 607 kms door to door on my odo.

lest we forget how fine the Duffey is:

great day...
Good info, thanks: plan on doing this with a friend this coming Friday.

Alwyn

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plan on doing this with a friend this coming Friday.

Alwyn

enjoy! it'll be excellent on a weekday. I was surprised at the lightness of traffic even on the week-END.

·
Accelerus Maximus
701 Posts
Summer is here - and so are the lines of vehicles...

Even mid-week - Friday will be busy :(

I suggest you hit Pemby by 9:00'ish... that
also gets you through Whistler before the crush

The line up really gets going by 10:00, and lots
of "trains" of 6-8 vehicles in a row, stuck behind
some... slowbie

Will be chilly going over Duffey early, but if you are
doing out and back, will be toasty on the return

If you have the time: Vancouver -> Pemby -> Lillooet
-> Lytton -> Cache Creek -> Pavillion -> Lillooet -> Pemby
-> Vancouver

A bit longer than the canyon return loop, but
none of the BS of the canyon, Hope to Van, etc

This is the best ride in BC anywhere near the LM

A great selection of roads !!!!

The loop portion has few vehicles on it

Horstings Farm (just N of Cache Creek) has the
restaurant open again - awesome healthy food !

Have fun

·
Registered
406 Posts
620km later...

Back home safe and sound! And what a lovely ride it was:

* I live in Richmond: met my friend @ the church in West Van @ 06:00. He rides a cruiser so obviously it was not going to be a terribly quick ride.
* Traffic on S2S very light that time of morning.
* Whistler to Pemberton was pretty chilly. I HATE the heat so I was only wearing a mesh jacket: a bit too cool even by my preferences. But hey: if I have to choose between too cool in the morning vs too warm in the afternoon I go for cool every time.
* Gassed up @ Pemberton
* Pemberton to Lillooet was great. Only downside was the fact that the sun was rather low on the horison so right in our eyes a lot of the time. I have only ever ridden this road once before and that ws ?10 years ago. The current quality of the road is lightyears better than I remember the old one: really magic.
* Got into Lillooet just before 09:00. Met up with some friends of my friend and had great breakfast. We had to wait for his friends so it ended up being quite an extended breakfast.
* After breakfast they decided to continue on further North & I decided to head back home.
* Lillooet to Lytton would have been fantastic.... if one could ride at 160km/h! The road is WAY better than the speed limit suggests so it ends up feeling like kissing your cousin. A pretty cousin but still.
* Gassed up just outside Hope and again when I got home. Left home @ 05:15, got back at 15:15.

All in all a lovely ride. I can feel the fact that I am now officially an over-65 senior: got a few aches and pains once I got home. But as I always say: if you are over 60 and you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts... you must know you are dead! WONDERFUL to be alive and able to do things like this, even with the minor aches.

Alwyn

·
Registered
406 Posts
west van to lillooet in less than 3 hours doesnt seem that slow..
Not for a cruiser, but for a sportbike..... And speed limit wise we were actually very well behaved.

My friend uses his cruiser very well, but it is still a big bike (Victory) with limited lean angles. He was leading so I was able to get a good view and audio of grinding and sparks from the floorboards around some slower corners....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts