BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any duties on motorcycle boots from the US; given they are of Italian origin?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
not if you wear them back

·
Team Mspeed Performance
389 Posts
Holly Crap!!

Yes!,

You have no idea. I just finished a long battle the Purolator (the fuggin crooks). I needed to send my Sidi's to Motonation in California for repair and Purolator sent me a bill for $158.00 USD for Taxes and duty!!!!

Now I have to try to get them back with out being charge the same duty again.:surrender

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dunno if it's the same, but if it gets classified as apparel, it may be 13%. I just picked up a jacket from the Letter Carrier, and I got taken 13% for duty. Highway robbery I tell you.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
If they are new, then duty applies. They are not "motorcycle parts" (which are duty-exempt), but some border guards don't know that and you *may* get by without paying duty. Most of them do know the rules quite well though.

If they are used, only PST/GST applies. If you buy them off eBay, print out a copy of the eBay page, and show it to the guards. eBay usually equals used, so they don't bother charging the duty.

In either case, if you choose to ride down to the US wearing some old sneakers, pick up the boots, scuff them up a bit, ditch the sneakers, and ride back, you can probably get away without paying any pst, gst, or duty. Not that i'm advocating you breaking the law or anything. If they decide to look closer and notice that your boots are amazingly new and clean compared to you and the rest of the bike, they could impound them and the bike until you can provide proof that the boots were bought in Canada before you went down.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
kuldip said:
I ordered a pair from New Enough and paid 15 bucks in duty.
I was told by them that they do not ship to Canada. I take it they do?

If you can the receipt to list it as motorcycle part then duty free, otherwise gear is considered safety equipment and you have to pay duty

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
racerboy88 said:
I was told by them that they do not ship to Canada. I take it they do?

If you can the receipt to list it as motorcycle part then duty free, otherwise gear is considered safety equipment and you have to pay duty
Yup they ship up here. Last year I bought my boots from them. A few months ago they stopped shipping up here untill they got there international shipping in order. They now take orders from prety much anywhere. I just ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants from them yesterday.
First buying experience was great, great price fast shipping so now I'm an advocate. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
kuldip said:
Yup they ship up here. Last year I bought my boots from them. A few months ago they stopped shipping up here untill they got there international shipping in order. They now take orders from prety much anywhere. I just ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants from them yesterday.
First buying experience was great, great price fast shipping so now I'm an advocate. :)
How much did it cost you to ship into Canada? I bought a jacket from them and had it sent to Pt. Roberts, cost was $10.00 USD, then duty and taxes were added when I crossed the border. I'm wondering what the difference would have been if shipped direct to my house... Thanks.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Yeserday I received my $900 (CAD) RoadCrafter suit (motorcycle safety gear manufactured in the US) and got dinged ~$120 in PST+GST, plust ~$30 in "handling" fees, but no "duty" per se.

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Bah, screw duty. You just have to know someone in the states. Ship it there, then ship it as a gift. :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts