BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much duty there is on tires purchased in the states?

Basically want to purchase a set off ebay and get it shipped to Point Roberts (free shipping to the States). Drive down pick 'em up from the Letter Carrier, claim them at the border, pay duties and tax.

Thanks

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Duty is basically just the Canadian taxes I believe. But call the Canadian Border Services Agency and ask if you want to be sure. Toll free: 1-800-461-9999

·
chew'n kaw
66 Posts
You're always charged GST & PST unless the value of goods being brought over is less than your daily limit of $50 CDN (or if the customs officer is really nice).

Duty is the extra tax that is levied for goods that are manufactured in countries that don't have a free trade agreement in place with Canada.

In other words, duty levied and the percentage depends on where the tires are manufactured but you'll almost always pay GST & PST.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the phone number, exactly what i needed.
Btw, duty is separate from tax.

Here's the 411:
If the tires are manufactured in N.A. it's duty free and all you have to pay is GST & PST. However, if they're manufactured outside of N.A. you have to pay 8% duty as well as GST & PST.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bike shops at the Point?

Ok, this might be a radical idea, but...

Why not ride down, pick up your tires, have them mounted and ride back...
Should be scuffed up enough by the time you get back to the border that no one will notice?

Just a thought
And just how may bike shops do you figure there are in Point Roberts?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, this might be a radical idea, but...

Why not ride down, pick up your tires, have them mounted and ride back...
Should be scuffed up enough by the time you get back to the border that no one will notice?

Just a thought
Because i get hassled too much when i cross a 'major' border crossing... not worth my time. Point Roberts is a 'minor' crossing and i don't get hassled.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hmmmmm maybe double check, but try motorcycle parts - zero duty according to my last border run - regardless of manufacture location.

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
Motorcycle tires are not considered a "part". However, motorcycle tires are zero duty, regardless of where they are made. If you are so inclined, check page 40-12 on this document.

You pay GST and PST at the border if you don't have any exemptions.

I brought over a set of Michellins and a set of Bridgestones, and no duty was charged.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Motorcycle tires are not considered a "part". However, motorcycle tires are zero duty, regardless of where they are made. If you are so inclined, check page 40-12 on this document.

You pay GST and PST at the border if you don't have any exemptions.

I brought over a set of Michellins and a set of Bridgestones, and no duty was charged.
^^ Thanks for the tips. Did you find a large cost savings in doing so?

·
Registered
920 Posts
[Here's the 411:
If the tires are manufactured in N.A. it's duty free and all you have to pay is GST & PST. However, if they're manufactured outside of N.A. you have to pay 8% duty as well as GST & PST.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is no duty on m/c tires at all. I just bought some last week. The border guy tried to charge me, but after I asked him to look it up he said I was right. By the way my tires are from Japan.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually there is no duty on m/c tires at all. I just bought some last week. The border guy tried to charge me, but after I asked him to look it up he said I was right. By the way my tires are from Japan.
Great! This is getting better by the minute.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,732 Posts
Thanks for the phone number, exactly what i needed.
Btw, duty is separate from tax.

Here's the 411:
If the tires are manufactured in N.A. it's duty free and all you have to pay is GST & PST. However, if they're manufactured outside of N.A. you have to pay 8% duty as well as GST & PST.
Ok you are not correct.

I bring in tires every 6 weeks or so, in fact I just did again this afternoon.

You pay pst and gst on the us price after it is converted to Cdn. dollars

There is no duty; location of manufacture does not apply in the case of motorcycle tires as there is no Cdn. Motorcycle tire industry that is hurt by your inporting, car/truck tires are different.

The customs guy today tried to charge me duty so again I had to ask him to look it up, he went oh I didn't know that , now you do to

1 - 16 of 16 Posts