BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Dyeing leathers question

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Porschenut 
#1 ·
There is a really good Dianese suit that I am thinking about buying. It is dirt cheap and in great shape, but it is ugly as sin color scheme wise.

I know leather can be dyed but I dont want to mess around with this. Can someone tell me from the experience what are some of the good shops/people that could do this, and what would the approximate cost be. If it is going to cost more than a suit, not worth it most likely.

Thansk

#2 ·
Whether its worth it depends on the style....example, if the main body is red, and there is a lot of piping that is white, pretty hard just to dye the red only without getting some on the white. Easiest, is all one color. There is a highly recommended leather alterations place in Mission (name escapes me), that might be able to give you some advice

#3 ·
I dyed the pink portions of a Dainese mixed colour suit many years ago. My advice? Dye it all black from top to bottom with Fiebing's Leather Dye (available at any cobbler). Like Cooldaddygroove says, it's very difficult to dye portions of the suit without experiencing leaching to other areas and making other mistakes so top to bottom is the only dependable option.

If you're dying the whole suit, it's a super easy process. Just very messy and smelly.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips. Suit I am looking at is about 60% black, 20% red and 20% white. If I were to get this done I would go just all black and call it a day. Dont need it to be multi colored. Will take a look at who is there in Mission and see if I can figure out what the price would be.

#5 ·
I did portions of a suit years ago with Fiebing's Leather Dye. Cheap and easy to do and it held up fine.

#6 ·
Really, do not bother paying someone else to do this. Go buy a bottle (maybe 2) of dye for 15 bucks, put on some throw away cloths, put on dishwashing gloves, go out to your lawn and start brushing the dye onto the suit. When we say "dye", we don't mean mixing up a batch of liquid and submersing the suit. Fiebing's comes with a brush applicator and you just have to wipe the dye on.

It's suuuper easy and you'll be finished the whole suit in an hour or less.

#8 ·
Just watching some videos on how to do this myself. They say I would need to use some sort of chemical to remove finish from the current color, or else I wont be able to apply the dye. Also use a sealer once dye is applied and buffed, which makes sense.

What products would you recommend for these 2 (remove finish and sealant)?

#9 ·
I simply wiped my suit clean with a damp cloth before using the dye and it soaked right in. I experimented with black shoe polish to seal in the colour. Not sure if that was necessary or not. I only did that because I was worried about colour transfer to other surfaces that came into contact with the suit. I wasn't worried about the colour penetration or durability since Fiebing's has always penetrated very well on all leather products I've used it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.