BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
David
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okaaay! :(

I get the general idea about torque and horsepower etc. The dyno chart I attached tells a story about the two bikes. I'm just not sure what it is. Let me try and interpret the graphs (please correct me as I'll probably get it wrong):

1) The VFR has higher horsepower at lower revs than the 6R
2) Below 5,200 revs the 6R has higher torque than the Viffer, then the Viffer kicks its butt.
3) At 11,500 revs the Viffer begins to die (and does at 12,400) while the 6R kicks the remaining life out of the Viffer and speeds off into the distance.

The lesson:

If I try to race a 6R I will die?

Talk to me guys?

Cambiebiker

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
I think to know you'd have to know the gearing of the two bikes through the gears, and their redlines. Then you could probably sit down and work out the optimal shifting points for each bike, then sit down and extrapolate the speed through the gears (knowing the bike + rider weight etc).. then you could plot where they'd be and when, and determine how long of a track you want to run him on to lick him best or get licked least.

So there's a lot you can figure out if you presume each rider is identically skilled at running through their gears, there's no corners, yada yada.. but you could probably figure out who'd win with just the gearing, weights, and dyno charts and be pretty confident. Oh and probably drive wheel diameter too hmm.

Of course I have no experience in any of that so I could be talkin out my butt. Haha, but its fun to think about. 10000 to 1 somebody has a web page that will plot all that jazz for ya if you punch in the numbers :)

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Uh so bottom line, ask somebody who's run both bikes and they'd tell ya right off :p

·
Registered
842 Posts
A ZX-6R will take a VFR800 any day. The VFR is a sport touring bike that's designed to be an "all around" bike. Honda made some concessions to make it more user friendly. If you want to smoke the ZX-6R, get a Gixxer750, but then you'l loose the all around versatility of the VFR.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
To answer the question though:

A dyno (or Dynometer) is the same thing your car/truck sits on at "aircare". It's a tool that mechanics can use to help tune your car as it gives readouts of HP, TORQUE, MPH, DISTANCE, etc.. and most give you a nifty little print out to brag to your friends. :p

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My Interpretation of the Graph:

VFR:

Powerband is probably about 7,000 RPM to 10,500 RPM. The power is delivered very smoothly. It does have higher torque down low (where you want it on the street).

6R:

Powerband is probably 8,500 RPM to 12,000 RPM. The power isn't delivered as smoothly, the carbs need some tuning IMO. The Semi flat torque curve indicates similar torque through the rev range, but very low torque in the low RPM's. On the track this is Okay, you're mainly in a higher RPM range, for the street it means you wouldn't want to be cruising around under 4,000.

Both bikes are built for different purposes. The VFR is designed to be a smooth sport-tourer that performs very well. The 6R is a race bred bike with going fast in high RPM's in mind. The Graph shows this. It also shows the difference in smoothness between the FI VFR and the carbed 6R.

Jim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts