·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thank you corona virus...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Went to the supermarket yesterday. People are stockpiling. Staple items were sold out or low stock. Canned meats, soup, and beans were scarce. Lots of toilet paper left ....whew.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm watching it pretty closely since I have my vacation booked for the Austin MotoGP. Hopefully being that it's in American and they have extra time to prepare, it'll still be on.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
I'm watching it pretty closely since I have my vacation booked for the Austin MotoGP. Hopefully being that it's in American and they have extra time to prepare, it'll still be on.

Have you payed any attention to the response from that nations so-called 'leaders' ?
hah. Who needs experts and scientists? fire 'em all. Gag the press. Everything's fine here. How you doin?
But don't worry, we're praying on it... hard.... and God says it only affects libs anyways...

welp, enjoy your time quarantine!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have you payed any attention to the response from that nations so-called 'leaders' ?
hah. Who needs experts and scientists? fire 'em all. Gag the press. Everything's fine here. How you doin?
But don't worry, we're praying on it... hard.... and God says it only affects libs anyways...

I'll take the extra 2 weeks vacation! I'll need the time to work off all the Texas BBQ anyway.. At the end of the day I'm not too worried about anything other than missing out on seeing Rossi racing with my bare eyes. I don't plan on making out with any Italians since my girl is going with me and it's all outdoor seating. The only Texans that have confirmed Covid-19 are the ones travelling in and they've been quarantined to an airbase in San Antonio..

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

you saw this, DNA?

frikkin hilarious... or maybe terrifiying?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
you saw this, DNA?

frikkin hilarious... or maybe terrifiying?
Yep - religious nutbags have NO place in policy-making positions. It should be an instant red-flag in 2020... yet apparently, it's not.
Everyone likes to think they have a hot-line to their personal local god(s), when really that's just the schitz kickin' in.
These fools should be laughed out of the public square at every turn... and yet....

"Many religious people don’t like atheists, and in fact would apparently rate them alongside rapists on levels of trust, suggests a new Canadian study"

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
The state of this virus in the USA,
I don't think it's location in America will have anything to do with it being on or not.

MotoGP is a travelling circus. Whether they can get that show off the continent would be a bigger issue...
and with the dollars the series costs to run, if enough events or the schedule is in question, I suspect
they will just nix the balance of the season.

They won't even let people out of cruise ship cabins on boats. That is how crazy the state of the situation
is at the moment. It's clearly a major global disaster in the works and the powers that be are trying to
avoid mass panic which will be lunacy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
From what I've read, the 1st 2 cancellations were for different reasons. Qatar was cancelled because the Italians that arrived last week would've been put into a 14 day quarantine and they couldn't participate anyway. Thailand was cancelled because the Thai national health authorities are concerned about the virus being brought in by so many travellers so they shut it down..

Whether it's right or wrong, the US hasn't restricted travel into their country so the race is on for now. Local Texan authorities haven't even asked South by Southwest to cancel and that Austin music festival is scheduled to end 2 weeks before MotoGP. I guess it's possible that Italians arriving for MotoGP could still finish a quarantine prior to race start. Maybe that's why Dorna isn't cancelling it too.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,270 Posts
They won't even let people out of cruise ship cabins on boats. That is how crazy the state of the situation
is at the moment. It's clearly a major global disaster in the works and the powers that be are trying to
avoid mass panic which will be lunacy.
Tons and tons of conferences/events cancelled in my line of work. Lots of companies (even Microsoft) telling their employees to not come in to work and to work remotely. It's a brewing shit-storm, no doubt. All it takes is for one infected person to walk around an office building (or a packed stadium) for a few days.

Pretty sure we won't be seeing any mass-gathering events for a while.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
One of my buddies crossed to and from Washington today, and he got heavily questioned about how he was feeling, and if he had been to Iraq in the past two weeks.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,270 Posts
One of my buddies crossed to and from Washington today, and he got heavily questioned about how he was feeling, and if he had been to Iraq in the past two weeks.
Was just reading this - 100 Canadians refused entry into US due to COVID-19 fears: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-coronavirus-border-canada-1.5487696

And 8 new cases in BC, announced today: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/8-more-cases-of-covid-19-virus-identified-in-b-c-including-1-of-unknown-origin-1.5487631

Great.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Al Jazeera has informative, wide-ranging, and high quality 'live-update' reports from around the world. It's amazing the breadth of the reactions and repercussions.

Fingers crossed that Austin goes ahead!

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,518 Posts
World SBK rescheduled for Qatar too:

Although the early season was looking far from grim in Philip Island kick off last weekend.
Three of their best motorcycle races in a long time.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
i've been keeping one eye on the shit-show as several friends live stateside.

unfortunately most states / residents have spent more time making a mockery of the
whole thing that i'm sure there will be more than a few caught with their pants around
their ankles. Most folks dont take this stuff seriously because they dont think they'll
be affected. Trump is no help at all on that regard, that dude is clueless.

Most are not prepared, n' considering the shit has now officially hit the fan, i'm staying
out of the USA. South By South West in Texas is now cancelled, so is Comicon in
Seattle but that one was pretty obvious.

from what I hear, Canada is still considered a low risk for an actual outbreak. If
shelves are empty a lot of this is due to low supply as the railways were shut down
back east. We have our own circus happening, blockades have no idea how
they've crippled the economy.

high risk age groups will obviously be affected, i'm not panicking by any means.

Local Texan authorities haven't even asked South by Southwest to cancel and that Austin music festival is scheduled to end 2 weeks before MotoGP.
posted 4 - 8 hours ago: AUSTIN DECLARES LOCAL DISASTER.

South by Southwest Is Canceled as Coronavirus Fears Scuttle Festival
Hundreds of thousands of people were expected to arrive in Austin next week, but a number of companies had pulled out and on Friday, city officials called off the whole event.

who pulled out? oh just 3 or 4 little companies, aka FaceBook, Twitter & Intel.
Scuttle is a pretty big word, even for me.. so i looked it up for yah: ;)

transitive verb. 1 : to cut a hole through the bottom, deck, or side of (a ship) specifically : to sink or attempt to sink by making holes through the bottom. 2 : destroy, wreck also

Austin health officials cited the large numbers of people that would be visiting Austin from locations where coronavirus is present for the decision to cancel. Austin does not currently have any confirmed cases of the virus."All ramifications are secondary to helping to ensure that we are safe as a community," Adler said at the press conference, when asked about the economic impact of canceling the major conference. "This decision at all times has been governed with the priority to keep the people who live here and visit here safe."

Fingers crossed that Austin goes ahead!
i hope you're not holding your breath. :(

Dr. Bonnie Henry, answers questions from at a media briefing about eight new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, March 5, 2020 in Victoria.

There have now been 21 positive tests for the coronavirus in B.C., including 13 linked to the outbreak in Iran.

At least four patients have recovered completely. Only one patient has required treatment in hospital — a woman in her 80s who is in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Vancouver General Hospital.

Henry said that travelling internationally has become risky as the virus continues to spread around the globe.

"We are seeing that things are moving very quickly and things can open up very suddenly," she said. "This is one of those years where I would shift my thinking to staying at home."

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Record of USA flu death rates: Burden of Influenza 2018,,,,810,000, 61,000 deaths
Record of Canada flu death rates: Influenza Resources | IPAC Canada 2018,,,,,55,000, 1500 deaths

" I'm staying out of the USA".
" Trump is no help at all on that regard, that dude is clueless".

This thread is a comedy show. I went grocery shopping last night. The place is stocked full of everything.
The only thing we need to be concerned about, is the increase in regular seasonal influenza, considering the fact that we've allowed over the last 25 years,,,,,95% of all antibiotics are now manufactured in China, and any change in the global supply chain. And the importation of Chinese garbage products, and any businesses relying on crap from that country, will suffer or will have to change suppliers.

I've suffered from pneumonia twice. If you've been through this you know its frickin' hard core. Personal habits of mine now include automatically, small things, using elbows, shoes, gloves, downwind avoidance, using my own writing pen everywhere, etc. for 20 years. Garlic. Oil of Oregano. Many more steps, its all automatic now.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
This thread is a comedy show.
point is, the way things are looking, there wont be a show to go to in the 1st place.
so what the heck is there to do in Texas. We had 'plans' to go riding in California
early to mid summer. But with too many 'unknowns' along the way, ie Washington,
Oregon being en route. I'm not sure why anybody would want to. Plenty of things
to do locally. By the time there's deaths due to the virus, that means it has been
spreading for weeks already.

March 26, 2020.. less than 24 hours ago..

"I think talking about the 'potential' of the virus is important so that you can understand how dangerous a threat it is. (but) I think its up to Societies 'how they will respond' to the virus."

... "i dont think, we're dealing with, 'the FLU"
CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations Dr Richard Hatchett explains the long-term dangers of the Covid-19 coronavirus - saying it's the scariest outbreak he's dealt with in his 20-year career.

Dr. Hatchett is one of the experts who will be looking for a vaccine, which
according to his team could take an easy 12 to 15 months..

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Yep - religious nutbags have NO place in policy-making positions. It should be an instant red-flag in 2020... yet apparently, it's not.
Are you kidding? In the US that’s a green flag to get into office.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts