BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

early season looks grim...

15K views 87 replies 18 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
thank you corona virus...

#6 ·
Have you payed any attention to the response from that nations so-called 'leaders' ?
hah. Who needs experts and scientists? fire 'em all. Gag the press. Everything's fine here. How you doin?
But don't worry, we're praying on it... hard.... and God says it only affects libs anyways...

welp, enjoy your time quarantine!

#11 ·
From what I've read, the 1st 2 cancellations were for different reasons. Qatar was cancelled because the Italians that arrived last week would've been put into a 14 day quarantine and they couldn't participate anyway. Thailand was cancelled because the Thai national health authorities are concerned about the virus being brought in by so many travellers so they shut it down..

Whether it's right or wrong, the US hasn't restricted travel into their country so the race is on for now. Local Texan authorities haven't even asked South by Southwest to cancel and that Austin music festival is scheduled to end 2 weeks before MotoGP. I guess it's possible that Italians arriving for MotoGP could still finish a quarantine prior to race start. Maybe that's why Dorna isn't cancelling it too.

#17 · (Edited)
i've been keeping one eye on the shit-show as several friends live stateside.

unfortunately most states / residents have spent more time making a mockery of the
whole thing that i'm sure there will be more than a few caught with their pants around
their ankles. Most folks dont take this stuff seriously because they dont think they'll
be affected. Trump is no help at all on that regard, that dude is clueless.

Most are not prepared, n' considering the shit has now officially hit the fan, i'm staying
out of the USA. South By South West in Texas is now cancelled, so is Comicon in
Seattle but that one was pretty obvious.

from what I hear, Canada is still considered a low risk for an actual outbreak. If
shelves are empty a lot of this is due to low supply as the railways were shut down
back east. We have our own circus happening, blockades have no idea how
they've crippled the economy.

high risk age groups will obviously be affected, i'm not panicking by any means.

Local Texan authorities haven't even asked South by Southwest to cancel and that Austin music festival is scheduled to end 2 weeks before MotoGP.
posted 4 - 8 hours ago: AUSTIN DECLARES LOCAL DISASTER.

South by Southwest Is Canceled as Coronavirus Fears Scuttle Festival
Hundreds of thousands of people were expected to arrive in Austin next week, but a number of companies had pulled out and on Friday, city officials called off the whole event.

who pulled out? oh just 3 or 4 little companies, aka FaceBook, Twitter & Intel.
Scuttle is a pretty big word, even for me.. so i looked it up for yah: ;)

transitive verb. 1 : to cut a hole through the bottom, deck, or side of (a ship) specifically : to sink or attempt to sink by making holes through the bottom. 2 : destroy, wreck also

Austin health officials cited the large numbers of people that would be visiting Austin from locations where coronavirus is present for the decision to cancel. Austin does not currently have any confirmed cases of the virus."All ramifications are secondary to helping to ensure that we are safe as a community," Adler said at the press conference, when asked about the economic impact of canceling the major conference. "This decision at all times has been governed with the priority to keep the people who live here and visit here safe."

Fingers crossed that Austin goes ahead!
i hope you're not holding your breath. :(

Dr. Bonnie Henry, answers questions from at a media briefing about eight new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, March 5, 2020 in Victoria.

There have now been 21 positive tests for the coronavirus in B.C., including 13 linked to the outbreak in Iran.

At least four patients have recovered completely. Only one patient has required treatment in hospital — a woman in her 80s who is in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Vancouver General Hospital.

Henry said that travelling internationally has become risky as the virus continues to spread around the globe.

"We are seeing that things are moving very quickly and things can open up very suddenly," she said. "This is one of those years where I would shift my thinking to staying at home."

#15 ·
Al Jazeera has informative, wide-ranging, and high quality 'live-update' reports from around the world. It's amazing the breadth of the reactions and repercussions.

Fingers crossed that Austin goes ahead!

#16 ·
World SBK rescheduled for Qatar too:

Although the early season was looking far from grim in Philip Island kick off last weekend.
Three of their best motorcycle races in a long time.

#18 ·
Record of USA flu death rates: Burden of Influenza 2018,,,,810,000, 61,000 deaths
Record of Canada flu death rates: Influenza Resources | IPAC Canada 2018,,,,,55,000, 1500 deaths

" I'm staying out of the USA".
" Trump is no help at all on that regard, that dude is clueless".

This thread is a comedy show. I went grocery shopping last night. The place is stocked full of everything.
The only thing we need to be concerned about, is the increase in regular seasonal influenza, considering the fact that we've allowed over the last 25 years,,,,,95% of all antibiotics are now manufactured in China, and any change in the global supply chain. And the importation of Chinese garbage products, and any businesses relying on crap from that country, will suffer or will have to change suppliers.

I've suffered from pneumonia twice. If you've been through this you know its frickin' hard core. Personal habits of mine now include automatically, small things, using elbows, shoes, gloves, downwind avoidance, using my own writing pen everywhere, etc. for 20 years. Garlic. Oil of Oregano. Many more steps, its all automatic now.

#19 · (Edited)
This thread is a comedy show.
point is, the way things are looking, there wont be a show to go to in the 1st place.
so what the heck is there to do in Texas. We had 'plans' to go riding in California
early to mid summer. But with too many 'unknowns' along the way, ie Washington,
Oregon being en route. I'm not sure why anybody would want to. Plenty of things
to do locally. By the time there's deaths due to the virus, that means it has been
spreading for weeks already.

March 26, 2020.. less than 24 hours ago..

"I think talking about the 'potential' of the virus is important so that you can understand how dangerous a threat it is. (but) I think its up to Societies 'how they will respond' to the virus."

... "i dont think, we're dealing with, 'the FLU"
CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations Dr Richard Hatchett explains the long-term dangers of the Covid-19 coronavirus - saying it's the scariest outbreak he's dealt with in his 20-year career.

Dr. Hatchett is one of the experts who will be looking for a vaccine, which
according to his team could take an easy 12 to 15 months..

#21 ·
I gotta say I'm on the fence about this corona virus still. Lots of hype. I'm still buying shit tickets as I need them. I guess I'm one of those people. Until it affects me..,,,,,

Never had the flu shot no memory of ever being sick backed up by a record of never having missed a day of work. Not one day in the last decade for certain.

Not to say I won't be vigilant if I feel threatened but at this point....meh I'm not getting excited.

#24 · (Edited)
Until it affects me..,,,,,

Never had the flu shot no memory of ever being sick backed up by a record of never having missed a day of work. Not one day in the last decade for certain.
skip the hype and the mass hysteria reports.. That stuff sells online subscriptions; I concentrate on medical reports from actual Doctors who deal with infectious diseases

But considering we're not talking about 'the flu' then why would you be impressed with
an attendance record? I was not born in Canada, dont know if it makes a difference
but when i was young every time i got the 'FLU shot' for our famous Canuck flu i got
seriously ill.. No fun, so i stopped getting 'em.. never been sick since. i'm very
resilient in this regard as well.

This, this is not the flu! its not a common cold, and if you have underlying respiratory
conditions it can really hit you hard.. Had pneumonia before? or are diabetic, RUN!
I was diagnosed with rhinitis at the end of summer. Shortness of breath is one
of the resulting effects with this virus. I just cant take any chances. Weather or
not I 'think' i would get sick, i'm taking this shit pretty seriously.

still, there are PLENTY of people on my faceBook feed that have been running their mouth
for the better part of 2 months acting like its a hoax made up by the Chinese Gov't to keep
everybody inline in Hong Kong. Or they think its all about (1) getting rid of trump or (2) cancelling
the election or (3) forcing a market crash.

the real funny bit is now it has become very clear for at least half the time they've been
calling it a hoax, the virus was already Stateside and making the rounds, just like everywhere
else around the world. Strangely enough the FB jokes suddenly hit a wall. I wonder why. :D

The big reason to be worried about Covid-19 is that you can be contagious while not being sick. So you can be passing the bug around and not even know you're a danger to other people, which makes the ability of this virus to spread rapidly pretty high.
That is exactly why people are 'suddenly' quiet about it, just a month ago they were
cracking jokes, posting up random comparison numbers swearing nothing is gonna
happen period, when in reality its very likely their fvcking neighbor is already sick,
but they just dont know it yet. Over 3000 people got back on the stupid cruise ship
after it had come back from 'abroad' and they're suddenly confused. Just dumb.

I think, the biggest issue about venturing into 'another' country which has no centralized
Med. Healthcare system n' every state / care facility randomly makes things up as
they go along is you have no idea what people's traveling habits are. You go to a gas
station, take off your gloves n' punch in your PIN number then grab that pump
n' happily fill up your tank.. Well then, if you took off your helmet, now you're fvcked!

you'll ride to the next town and repeat.. in 2 weeks you could be sick and you've
just spread the stupid virus back into Canada where your kids / friends / family eat.

If you are not actually sick you wouldn't think anything of going to work. But you cant
possibly know how anybody else even in your own family will react. You could be
responsible for their death. That is scary as fvck to me.

#23 ·
The big reason to be worried about Covid-19 is that you can be contagious while not being sick. So you can be passing the bug around and not even know you're a danger to other people, which makes the ability of this virus to spread rapidly pretty high. There's already one case of community transmission in Vancouver and I'm sure there's going to be more. The good news is that the illness doesn't seem to be too severe for people who don't have suppressed immune systems or underlying respiratory conditions so most people who get it should recover fully.

Reactions: bacchus40
#27 ·
yep.. agreed. I just watched the press conference from last night. Warned family not to attend church.

The head doctor for the province broke down and cried this morning so I guess we're doomed.
thank you for sharing this! uhmm.. yeah she looks a little shook up.

plenty of 'hands on' experience on the subject, no pun intended.

#28 ·
Wtf is with TP hoarding? You can't wash your ass, jump in the shower, newspaper and rags. Sure, I bought a pack but it was low on my list of essentials.

How about food? Got to eat.

We are staying away from crowds and not partaking of fast food or restaurants. I'm tempted to put a "quarantined" sign on my door to keep away the skeptics.

Another doctor(who had been in china) said covid was not at all consistent. Some infected die in hours while others experience milder sickness. He also said this was happening to those in their 40s and 50s. He was on global news.

Certainly, we should not panic but being unprepared is just stupid.

#29 · (Edited)
Wtf is with TP hoarding? You can't wash your ass, jump in the shower, newspaper and rags. Sure, I bought a pack but it was low on my list of essentials.
TP hoarding kinda got started in Australia and i guess social media just ran with it.
But of course its not just TP, folks are stocking up on cleaning supplies.

according to a press release two days ago our local Gov't is going to be working closely
with grocery chain stores, suppliers etc for essential needs goods in preparedness for
at least a 3 to 4 month coronavirus out-break should it come to that. A response plan
is already in place, formulated 6 weeks ago..

the message.. quit it! go home and wash your hands. A friend of mine works for SaveOnFoods
as a driver and he confirmed full shipments of TP came in, he was driving a truck full back to
his local store in Maple Ridge yesterday. He did make mention its likely they're still low on
hand sanitizer. When it comes to that stuff you need to make sure its at least 60% alcohol based.

absolutely no need to panic, there will be plenty of stocked goods for everybody.
This will obviously also include food, water, etc.

As far as our medical health care system, these guys/gals are aces. BC leads
the western hemisphere in local testing with over 2800 samples dating back to
January. Until recently it had tested more samples than the entire USA. In fact
I believe 2 to 4 new stations are about to come online. Everything is tested locally
in labs, we dont need to wait for results to come in.

#32 ·
Well it's risky for certain and we might have to cancel the trip altogether if something breaks out in the States we'd travel to. All we can do is heed medical advice and take precautions, particularly in the planes and the restaurants we'd frequent. That means disinfecting the surfaces around our seats, wiping down hotel rooms and disinfecting our hands after we touch anything. We probably won't be doing silly stuff like wearing masks though.

Covid-19 last for up to a day on surfaces so we can gauge what to disinfect based upon its exposure to other people. So far 0 cases in Louisiana and 0 in Austin. I'm watching this day to day and will decide if it's a go at the last minute.

#33 · (Edited)
thanks for posing up, yeah you gotta be smart with these things.

While we were discussing, it seems things have taken a turn:
its not entirely up to MotoGP's officials. Read below:

Mar 7, 2020, 1:29 AM

MotoGP's Grand Prix of the Americas event has been thrown into significant doubt following the declaration of a state of emergency in host city Austin due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The Circuit of the Americas, originally slated to host the third round of the 2020 MotoGP season, was subsequently due to kickstart the campaign on April 5 following the cancellation of the Qatar opener and the postponement of the second round in Thailand.

On Friday, Austin Mayor Steve Adler was joined by Judge Sarah Eckhardt of Travis County – to which COTA actually belongs territoriality – to declare “a local state of disaster” regarding the threat of coronavirus.
This means the city will now suspend any events with 2,500 or more people in attendance, unless event organisers are able to prove to the Public Health Department that appropriate measures will be in place to contain the spread of contagious diseases. (** more on this below)

As part of the announcement, Adler also confirmed the cancellation of Austin's marquee music and film festival South by Southwest, which was due to kick off on March 13. As per various reports, there are at least 17 confirmed coronavirus cases in Texas, albeit none specifically in Austin.

MotoGP had announced a revised 2020 calendar just a day prior on Thursday, with Austin featuring as the season opener in the schedule. Carmelo Ezpeleta, the CEO of series promoter Dorna, has not ruled out holding races behind closed doors in light of the coronavirus outbreak and the accompanying restrictions.

But if it should prove impossible for the COTA round to go ahead, the season would instead be due to kick off on April 19 at Argentina's Termas de Rio Hondo venue.

If one Texas resident has her way, the MotoGP event scheduled for next month at COTA, won’t happen anytime soon, if at all.

Cathy Olive, a goat farmer from Elroy, Texas, where the Circuit of The Americas is located, has long been an outspoken critic of the facility, but this time it isn’t the noise or the traffic she’s concerned about.

Earlier this week, Olive posted a petition on the website Change.org that calls for organizers to: “Postpone or Cancel Austin MotoGP to contain Coronavirus.” The petition is addressed to the track, the governor of Texas, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control, as well as Dorna Sports, the series’ promoter.

She has a valid point!:

The Austin MotoGP race at Circuit of the Americas is actually located outside of the city in close proximity to the rural community of Elroy Texas. Our community is made up of mostly senior citizens, retirees and low income families. Exposing this demographic to a pandemic disease is completely irresponsible and self serving to those who will profit from the event, then leave us to deal with the inevitable damage it will cause.

#35 ·
As mentioned I'm not worried about the virus so much myself but now it just kicked me right in the teeth. My dad lives in toronto(just outside ofmit anyways) and had planned to ride over this spring heading through the northern states and I was going to ride and meet him for a couple days of riding. Now he's cancelled due to any risk of exposure which he's not willing to take. Can't blame him as a older fellow, this was potentially one of our last chances to ride together.

I have little hope for containment my sense of not being worried was more on a personal level and with little thought(I am a asshole) to others. I really do hope that not to many are negatively effected by this. I have a co-worker last night who announced over spring break he's driving his family with five kids to Palm Springs and back, stopping here there and everywhere. I asked him if he thought this was a good time to travel? Because of his faith he is undeterred of the virus. Unless governments stop us people are just going to spread this shit around like crazy.

#36 · (Edited)
Unless governments stop us people are just going to spread this shit around like crazy.
this is what i'm seeing, and its really bloody sad that somebody with half a brain and power
will most likely be needed to stop the continued rise in cases. People cannot police themselves
when it comes to the risk they pose on others. A friend of mine saw flight prices drop and
went to LA for two weeks. I was not aware and texted him just a few nights ago of the dangers
of 'travel' specially inside an Airplane. I did not hear back from him until yesterday when he
admitted he'd just returned on Saturday. He just chuckled it off but did say there were several
worried travelers wearing masks at both LAX & VYR. How does that not sink in? irresponsible.

It has now been announced a medical screener in LAX was found to be infected, how do you
warn folks who may have come in contact with over the last 14 days? Before i even had a chance
to formulate an answer Melbourne, Australia released news of its 18th infected resident. A man
in his 50s who just returned from LAX, arriving on March 8th!!! Do the math on that one. :(

The risk is HIGH, and very much a reality. the WHO may not want to declare this a Pandemic
in case people lose their bloody minds but this is a little absurd.. Italy is now on LOCKDOWN
across the ENTIRE country. Every citizen to stay at home and all sporting events cancelled.

for a little perspective on how irresponsible people can be, I stole this from a Youtube video
which is also shared on FB. An Irish lad who teaches english in Wuhan, China exchanged
pleasantries with his mom / dad during the 1st days of January, when sick patients
were being hauled off to hospital.. Notice his presumption that the WEST was blowing
things out of proportion, meanwhile folks in North America (ie, the west) were swearing
it was the Chinese gov't who was making this shit up and it was all a hoax on TRUMP!
The poster filmed the entire experience from quarantine to evacuation from China and
admits on video HE was Completely wrong and it was extremely careless to ignore.

this was ground zero FFS. :(

#40 ·
quite apart from the risk to gathered fans and the surrounding population, with Italy in lock-down a majority of team personnel could not travel. ditto some riders; Pirelli and Brembo techs; etc. this event was doomed from the moment the Italy lock-down was announced. but, given the timelines for SARS etc, it should be 'good to go' by November...

Reactions: bacchus40
#42 · (Edited)
Sorry for the bad news folks.. The World Health Organization has declared a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

China’s new worry is that the coronavirus could re-enter from abroad. Beijing’s city government announced that all overseas visitors will be quarantined for 14 days. Of 24 new cases that China reported Wednesday, five arrived from Italy and one from the United States. China has had over 81,000 virus infections and over 3,000 deaths.

ROME -- Expressing increasing alarm about mounting infections, the World Health Organization declared Wednesday that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who heads the U.N. agency, said the WHO is "deeply concerned by the alarming levels of spread and severity" of the outbreak. He also expressed concern about "the alarming levels of inaction."

"We have, therefore, made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic," he said at a briefing in Geneva.

"All countries can still change the course of this pandemic. If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace and mobilize their people in the response," Tedros said.

COVID-19 is a pandemic: World Health Organization

"If you want to be blunt, Europe is the new China," said Robert Redfield, the head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Also sounding the alarm at a Congressional hearing in Washington was Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "Bottom line, it's going to get worse," he said.

The majority of those affected, are now working age adults!

#43 · (Edited)
Joe Rogan recently had an episode with an expert in infectious disease epidemiology.

I haven't (yet) watched the whole thing, but the little I did watch was both interesting and terrifying.

Doctors in Italy are so overwhelmed they are literally choosing who to treat and who to let die. Our (Canadian) medical system is built to work at full capacity. What will happen when we go from 100% to 150-300% capacity? Same thing as in Italy.

About ten days ago I bought some canned & dry goods on Amazon. Out of curiosity, last night I looked at those same products again, and 7/10 were sold out. Reading reports of empty isles at local grocery stores and supermarkets.

What happens when communities get locked down, and transport trucks are no longer allowed to carry goods in? Empty stores, no online deliveries, nothing to eat if your pantry is empty.

Fear mongering aside, there is a very good chance of seriously bad times being ahead of us.

#45 · (Edited)
Joe Rogan recently had an episode with an expert in infectious disease epidemiology.
YOU SIR, deserve a CIGAR!! I was quietly hoping somebody else would share it,
i get bored if i hear the sound of my keyboard too often.. Joe Rogan doesnt rely on magic
beans, he reaches out to experts when he's in doubt. And he knows a lot of really smart
people. ;)

If you Listen closely to Michael, he even clues us all in!! They were going to release
it even earlier, but he asked 'em to wait as he was aware we were on a pivotal moment
in time and people would probably freak out big time.

As it is, we had a couple of days for the 'new reality' to sink in.

CNBC interviewed him recently:

The U.S. is not prepared for what is coming as COVID-19 spreads rapidly across the country, public health and infectious disease specialist Michael Osterholm told CNBC on Tuesday.

The virus has surpassed the containment stage, he said, and the U.S. government is not responding appropriately for the magnitude of spread the country will likely see.

“Right now we’re approaching this like it’s the Washington, D.C., blizzard — for a couple days we’re shut down,” the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota said in a “Squawk Box” interview. “This is actually a coronavirus winter and we’re in the first week.”

The U.S. is not containing the virus, Osterholm added, warning that it is substantially more contagious than some U.S. officials have warned. He said the most important thing is to protect people who are most at risk of dying from the virus, mostly older people and those with underlying health conditions.

“This is just going to keep spreading. We have to stop fooling people into thinking this is only by close contact where I have to be within 2 or 3 feet. We’re going to see much more transmission,” he said. “There will be widespread transmission of this virus around the country, and what we have to do is keep people who are at high risk of having bad outcomes, older, underlying health conditions, from being exposed.”

Corona means 'crown' in Spanish, Coronavirus' are named for the
crown-like spikes on their surface

You will want to watch this video!!:

Why new diseases keep appearing in China

now, ground zero:

The Lockdown, One month in Wuhan

I've heard of Michaels book before, but have not read it yet.. Now i really should!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.