BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What headphones do you guys recommend for riding to keep yourself entertain? *Notice the word "earplug" in the title.

Is Shure really good? Read some reviews, it seems like the block out the ambient noise pretty well and I think it is a pair earplugs with built in headphones.

What about other brands like Koss? Are Ipod headphones earplug style too?

B

·
0 Posts
You couldn't pay me to ride with headphones in my ears under my helmet. I don't want to block out ambient noise that alerts me to the position of cars in my blind spot, or emergency vehicles coming up side streets, or any other audible cues.

But that's a matter for each rider to decide on their own. :)

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to block out ambient noise that alerts me to the position of cars in my blind spot, or emergency vehicles coming up side streets, or any other audible cues.
Yes, on the city. But on the highway, it naturally gets blocked out by wind noise anyway.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crass Tengu said:
I use em, they work 4 cheap.
Have you tried any other headphones?

I notice some high-end ($249) Shure earphone molding is the same molding as the IPOD earphones.

Perhaps IPOD headphones block out sound as well as Shure's except sound quality is way better on Shure's?

I guess I gotta try this out myself ehh?

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
I routinely ride with my Etymotic (www.etymotic.com) earplug-style phones - I have the ER-6 model. I rode for a couple of years with the 'ear bud' style headphones, but I found they shifted around all the time under the helmet.

The ER-6 model comes with rubber earplugs and the optional foam earplugs which are more comfortable than the plastic ones. Excellent sound quality, and good ambient noise damping. I love 'em, though I find they irritate my ear canal after many hours of continuous riding, and I need to give my ears a rest. I'm thinking about getting some of the plugs that are custom-molded to my ear canal so they fit better, and are more comfortable over the long haul.

My :2cents.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
coolio said:
Have you tried any other headphones?

I notice some high-end ($249) Shure earphone molding is the same molding as the IPOD earphones.

Perhaps IPOD headphones block out sound as well as Shure's except sound quality is way better on Shure's?

I guess I gotta try this out myself ehh?
What ipod earphones are u referring to? the ones that come with the ipod cannot be used for riding, unless u want to go deaf.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Crass Tengu said:
What ipod earphones are u referring to? the ones that come with the ipod cannot be used for riding, unless u want to go deaf.
Really, why is that?

I have earbud headphones myself. They don't conform your ears too well and they irritate the crap outta your ears after 2hrs of riding.

Crass, this is the style of headphones that I'm talking about. Do they do any sound isolation at all?

eg.

I think I'm gonna buy a Shure EC2 and try it out this week. I hope it is good.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crass Tengu said:
Yes i have a pair like those and they work well. The ones you get with your ipod block zero outside noise.
So does Shure does a better job of blocking out noise or both the same? On the Shure's website it says it can block up to 32dB. That's pretty good. My earplugs can block up to 32dB.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
... this is an all-round BAD idea. Not only do I not recommend you wear headphones, but as mentioned earlier, it IS illeagal to do so. I understand wearing ear plugs to reduce noise, but to remove it with 'tunes' shouldn't be a consideration. If you're feeding yourself music because of dull or boring moments while riding, I would suggest taking up a new hobby than adjusting to it.
This isn't to be insultive, just a forward word of encouragement to help you stay safe riding.
Please reconsider your plans. I've already read enough 'rider down' threads.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
cyclestarter said:
... this is an all-round BAD idea. Not only do I not recommend you wear headphones, but as mentioned earlier, it IS illeagal to do so. I understand wearing ear plugs to reduce noise, but to remove it with 'tunes' shouldn't be a consideration. If you're feeding yourself music because of dull or boring moments while riding, I would suggest taking up a new hobby than adjusting to it.
This isn't to be insultive, just a forward word of encouragement to help you stay safe riding.
Please reconsider your plans. I've already read enough 'rider down' threads.
Yes it can be distracting if you're not used to it or easily distracted. I never listen to music when going for rides, only when commuting. Been doing it for years.

Like anything(riding itself), it can be done safely.

D

·
0 Posts
i dunno. i kinda figure he should be using as much concentration for the ride as possible. the idea of his mind wandering with music terrifies me.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
888 said:
Please Coolio, don't do it Please. :surrender

Lots of threads here about headphones - a search should help you out. FWIW, I use Shure E-2's and love them.

BUT, I wouldn't use them until I had a couple of years riding under my belt. Just use regular plugs (even the cheapo, disposable foam ones) for the first couple of years riding to block out excessive wind noise, but I wouldn't use headphones and tunes until I am totally familiar with the wide variety of road and traffic noises, and the noises and feedback you get from the bike. I have been riding 20+ years and only use the E-2 headphones on the highway - around town I use regular molded plugs.

Just my opinion, but I think newbies should be as aware as possible of their surroundings and have as few distractions as possible - especially given the pathetic quality of the local drivers. My :2cents

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
coolio said:
Yes, on the city. But on the highway, it naturally gets blocked out by wind noise anyway.
uh.. you sure that isn't ear plugs blocking out wind/engine noise on the highway?

as thumper has mentioned....

most people typically use foam ear plugs...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Crass Tengu said:
Yes it can be distracting if you're not used to it or easily distracted. I never listen to music when going for rides, only when commuting. Been doing it for years.

Like anything(riding itself), it can be done safely.

... it's not about being distracted. It's about creating a "bigger blind spot" by limiting even more the amount of sound you hear through your helmet. You remove the ability to hear mufflers, sirens or your own bike while riding. I'm not judging a person's ability to focus; I'm questioning the value of the choice or decision.:lurking

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
I'm questioning the value of the choice or decision.
Your concern is touching, but don't waste your time questioning my choices.

To each their own.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I picked up a pair of hella expensive Shure in ear phones ($300USD) at the Mac store in San Fran, on my way riding down to MotoGP. Crisp sound but no bottom end at all. On the freeway they block out ambient noise pretty well but I'm open to other alternatives.

I'll never listen to music riding around town or on spirited mountain pass rides but on a crap freeway like the I-5, it helps to relieve the monotony.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts