BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Earplugs

12K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  jamescharlie 
#1 ·
I found this review here; http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/reviews/earplugs/

I've been trying a lot of different types and brands, and until I read this article, I'd decided that the 3M 1100's were the best fit for me, especially in my right ear. Every pair I tried would leak in my right ear. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem ;)

The only place I've found in Vancouver that caries the 3M 1100's so far is Acklands-Grainger and here is a link to all their locations in the Lower Mainland. Current price is $30.85 for a box of 200 pairs.

Mods: Do you think this is worth making into a sticky?

#10 ·
The only thing worthy of being sticky is those wax covered plugs after too many uses.

Good to know though.....I use the DePlug 77200's, look damn near identical to the 3M plugs.

http://www.northernsafety.ca/catalogue/hearing_protection/disposable_ear_plugs/deplug_ear_plugs

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=35675 BX
Unfortunately I had the same issue with the pair you gave me. Too small for my oversized right ear hole :(

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...T<>prd_id=845524443276982&bmUID=1268687930008

My wife and I go through 2-3 boxes a season. $20 a box, put a bunch in a little plastic tupperware box, throw it in the tank bag/under the seat and good to go. If we're riding all day we might go through 2-3 pairs each. Feels good to put a new pair in versus a slimed up one (since I have slimy dirty ears)

EDIT - Stupid Canadian Tire, I don't know how to link to the box of earplugs http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/SafetyProducts/HearingProtection.jsp
Same issue for me with these. I have a full pack of them if anyone's interested.

#3 ·
whew! what a relief this is about earplugs. for some reason with you two posting in here when i saw the thread title i thought this was going to be about buttplugs.

#4 ·
Best earplugs I've come across were a pair of "construction" earplugs that I picked up for about ~$5 at a chain hardware store in Washington. Yellow, reusable earplugs with a blue cable tying them together. Good for ~33db. Worked awesome. Too bad I lost them! Will have to pick up a few more pairs next time I'm down there!

#5 ·
Those 3m plugs from AG are great. squish em and shove em in. 1 set is good for a whole day of riding. they are cheap and easy to carry on long trips. if yer really cheap you can wash them with ur clothes and they are as good as new. I use them every day at work.

#6 ·
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=LpkZbfGWRDLxLdK87CRGK2Bvvgydph9R6gZXfs7Pb7jn8qD7HxFT!1202778391?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443276982&bmUID=1268687930008

My wife and I go through 2-3 boxes a season. $20 a box, put a bunch in a little plastic tupperware box, throw it in the tank bag/under the seat and good to go. If we're riding all day we might go through 2-3 pairs each. Feels good to put a new pair in versus a slimed up one (since I have slimy dirty ears)

EDIT - Stupid Canadian Tire, I don't know how to link to the box of earplugs http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/SafetyProducts/HearingProtection.jsp

#8 ·
I use the Laser Lite ones ....... bright yellow/hot pink in color. Great for dB decrease, comfortable and once you give them a quick lick (I know, it sounds gross) they slide in nice and deep. I wear them sleeping after a night shift as well.

The old hangar I worked at had them and it seems I still have quite a few left in my toolbox. Acklands Grainger sells them as well.

#12 ·
i have molded ear plugs best $100 my work has ever spent on me they last for 5 years then your ear changes shape if you do the math its cheaper then buying the foamies and they are alot more comfier in the helmet then the throw aways

and yes they have headphone adaptors that fit inside so you can still listen to music

#16 ·
I've used the 3M ones for years. Definitely toss 'em after a few days worth of riding as they start to filter out less noise.
Brand new I believe the 3Ms reduce dbs by 27 which is pretty damn good.

#17 ·
Sticky earplugs? HA!

But seriously, good thread Hilton!

The 3M 100's I believe can be found at any Lordco.... That's what I have found to be the most comfortable, make sure they are warm when you put them it or it can be painful. (Wow that sounds nasty huh?)
I usually grab about 5 pairs at a time and toss them in the washing machine when they are dirty. Good for 5 or 6 washes before they get too destroyed.

#24 ·
Mark's Work Warehouse sells Dakota brand earplugs in a box of 100 pairs for $22. dNR is 29 but I found they work better than the dNR 32 plugs I had before. Better fit for my ear shape perhaps.

I can usually get 2 weeks of every day use out of a pair before they start to get dirty or gross. I figure the box will last me 4-5 years at least.

#26 ·
If you want the ultimate in protection, comfort and re-useability.....then your all doing it wrong with those sponge deci-damps.

You need to go to a hearing store (where they test your ears) and get the medical Silicone ones that are moulded to your ear, not some piece of sponge in your head.

I paid $130 all in for a set of these moulded plugs, took a week. Cuts the noise way down, you can still hear noises that need to be heard (doesn't make you deaf)

They fit perfectly so they are not uncomfortable at all, I can sleep with mine, they fit in the ear (not like this pic) flush mounted or recessed a bit....you can choose.

I had a pair for work in construction, were perfect....rinse em off with water or sanitizer....throw em back in. Takes about 3 years to wear em out if you use em all the time.

Similar to this pic.

#27 ·
Seems like a waste of money unless you're unable to wear standard earplugs comfortably. They might be better but that's a hell of an expense for what might be a marginal improvement for most.

$130 for one pair vs $130 for 600 pairs of foamies. I would hate to forget them somewhere and be out $130

#29 ·
PeeWee's an idiot though, thinking wings were one of those quirky design features of his Buell last time he rode the duffy, and look how expensive that mistake was. My plugs were custom made, and cost $14 shipped to Canada. Its like an epoxy...you mix the two putties and cram it in your ear. The stuff hardens and conforms to your ear for a great fit after 10 minutes, and the end result is durable and washable.

#28 ·
Earplugs?? no real man wears earplugs! it's all about the loud ass deafening mufflers with no earplugs so that your ears are ringing all night after a day of riding... your ears will start to produce more wax and thus create their own earplugs so no need to spend any money at all!

#35 ·
Sorry you can't help people too stupid to fit custom ear plugs into their ears, they don't fall out either.
Ya, mine are somewhat loose. I could have gone back, and asked them to make me another set, but fact is, the foamies I use are super comfy, cheap, and effective.....I don't really see the point of the customs any longer?

Just went to the garage to find them, forgot what they looked like.....even picked a custom colour to match the bike I was riding.....don't think I have actually ever worn them on a ride.

#38 ·
Mine are not nearly as tight as the foamies, I just realized that now, after trying them for the 1st time in a year......nowhere near the sound blocking effectiveness I had become accustomed to.

My Dad got some made the same time I did, and he seems to like his better. One thing I have found....ear canals are all VERY different, and what works for one person, does not work for all others.

He had a pair made at the Seattle bike show the year before, and really liked them....they broke in half, and he needed a new pair....I got sucked in by the family testimonial!!!

Damn thing about the customs, is that there's really no way to try before you buy....pay the $$, get the goop shot into your ears, wait, pick them up a few days later, and then find out they suck ass....LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.