BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Wow you guys must have gotton some shitty ones. Mine are perfect....dead quiet, prefect fit. Mine don't have the goofy strings. My old work ones did so you can take em out and not drop on the job site.

The custom ones sound a lot like the DIY ones, only someone else mixes the shit and puts it in your ear for you and charges $100 bucks. I think the key to a good fit is to really get as much of the material in your ear as possible, and keep a little pressure on it as it "dries" to get a tight fit.

Wow you guys must have gotton some shitty ones. Mine are perfect....dead quiet, prefect fit. Mine don't have the goofy strings. My old work ones did so you can take em out and not drop on the job site.
The "goofy strings" are an extra, which I paid for, and wanted....they make it easier to keep these paperweights together. :laughing

i'm with pee wee - i spent $130 at the western institute for the deaf (7th and Arbutus, Vanc) for custom molded silicone ear plugs - great fit, of course, and very effective - a bit tough to insert but a touch of skin-cream greases 'em up and does the job and keeps my ear canals 'comfy'. i used the foam guys, but i found as my rides got longer i couldn't bear the pressure in my ear canals after about 2 or 3 days, even with the softest models - i took to cutting them in half, but even then the pressure became painful. i know, i'm a pansy...
cheers,

i used the foam guys, but i found as my rides got longer i couldn't bear the pressure in my ear canals after about 2 or 3 days, even with the softest models - i took to cutting them in half, but even then the pressure became painful. i know, i'm a pansy...
cheers,
Ya, fit and comfort are really unique to each person.....when I was younger.....wore them EVERY day for 8 hours of sleep/day, solid 30 days, crossing the pacific on a sailboat, never had a problem, comfy as hell.

I use both custom fitted and pharmacy-sourced foam earplugs depending on which bike I'm riding.

Custom ones are much more comfortable but not quite as effective as the 33db reduction foam ones so I'll use the custom ones on bikes with larger fairings which works out well 'cause I'm using those bikes to do distance with consequentially longer days.

My loud bikes get the foam ones.

My custom earplugs required a slight bit of extra customization and the company I bought them from (in Langley, can't remember their name right now) were great to deal with.

I found this review here; http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/reviews/earplugs/

I've been trying a lot of different types and brands, and until I read this article, I'd decided that the 3M 1100's were the best fit for me, especially in my right ear. Every pair I tried would leak in my right ear. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem ;)

The only place I've found in Vancouver that caries the 3M 1100's so far is Acklands-Grainger and here is a link to all their locations in the Lower Mainland. Current price is $30.85 for a box of 200 pairs.

Mods: Do you think this is worth making into a sticky?
Hello,

So I called over to Acklands-Grainger in reference to buying the 3M 1100's and they said that I would have to give them a business contact name and number. Well, I don't work in an industry that requires air plugs, nor am I using these for work. And of course, I do not want to lie.

So, is there someone here that can help me get a box (200 total)? I am willing to give you $50 for them.

Please PM me on this if you can help me here.

Thank You,

Eric

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.