BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shipping a ECU down to Florida to be flashed and kind of stuck on the customs declaration. I phoned Canada post to inquire but they were less then helpful. I never have shipped a item like this south of the border so want to make sure it gets there with no duty/taxes due but also want to make sure it's insured for its correct value in case it goes missing or damaged. Do I send it as a gift? Orrrrr? Just curious if others here have had experience with this? thanks for any tips or general ridicule.

·
track hack
2,023 Posts
I would suggest you label as "used motorcycle parts" - apply the correct replacement value - $500-$800?

Return shipping the company doing your flash would then state the part being shipped and the cost of the flash/tune as that would be what you'd pay duty/taxes on - unless you want them to roll the dice and say "used parts, $50 value" or something.

Personally I'd call Mike at MAS in Vancouver area and confirm he can flash your bike (FZ1 Gen 2?) and if so (he can I guarantee) I'd support a local BC shop and avoid Intl shipping.

Plan B would be to use Nels at 2wheeldynoworks in Seattle, but I know there's decent tuners like Ivans and Moore Mafia down in the US who all use the same 2 flash companies - Flashtune and Woolich.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vcyclenut is who I am using I think. But I'll look into MAS. Seemed when I researched it that vcyclenut and Ivan's are the two well known fz1 tuners. Vcyclenut does more than a basic fueling flash for the fz1, removed decel injector cut, remove timing restrictions in lower gears, correct the speedo for a slight gearing change I made, change fan temp, raise redline, etc, etc. I have a full exhaust system now and the usual fz1 intake mods which would have me quite lean, this ECU flash is the last step to put it all together.

I appreciate the input on the shipping, probably overthinking it myself. I know vcyclenut tunes a bunch of Canadian ECU's if I don't feel confident Monday to send it out, I'll just contact him and see what the standard procedure is.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
When i sent my Raider ECU to IVan's shop in NY i went across the border and used SHIP happens.

having borders open sure is helpful.. picked up on return like 3 or 4 days later..
easy peasy.. great work! got a call a couple years later, got a reflash update for you!
excellent, hopped border, shipped, picked up.. done.

sorry i'm no help :D

·
track hack
2,023 Posts
Vcyclenut is who I am using I think. But I'll look into MAS. Seemed when I researched it that vcyclenut and Ivan's are the two well known fz1 tuners. Vcyclenut does more than a basic fueling flash for the fz1, removed decel injector cut, remove timing restrictions in lower gears, correct the speedo for a slight gearing change I made, change fan temp, raise redline, etc, etc.
All tuners in my experience do all the things you mention - fan temps, remove restrictions, extend the rpm limit, etc...

MAS did all that to my Ninja 400 last year, and 2WD has done at least 6-7 of my bikes previously and as you say - everything is done not just a reflash and dump fuel in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear what you're saying. Of course all tuners tune. Through my research I feel very confident in what I will be getting from vcyclenut. I would be curious in knowing some of the details of your tune as my wife's n400 we might tune next. It has the full yoshi alpha system on it currently but no other mods.

I believe I've sorted the customs paperwork. For anyone else interested or following wording such as this is what I'll be using. Used ECU sent for repair and return/ will be returned to sender after repair/ temporary import.

·
track hack
2,023 Posts
I would be curious in knowing some of the details of your tune as my wife's n400 we might tune next. It has the full yoshi alpha system on it currently but no other mods.
Vcycle has a decent rep - you'll be fine!

My bike had:

• full Akrapovic system
  • DNA air filter
  • EDR Velocity Stacks and custom Norton Motorsports airbox mod
  • ECU flash and tune for 91 pump.

Stock - 43.4hp and 23.6ft lbs
End result - 52.6hp and 27.8ft lbs

Weight drop from stock for all my mods was 18lbs so it weighed 354lbs with a full tank on the road.

OEM clutch springs need to be upgraded - thats a $30 online order and 20 minutes of your time kinda job but the OEM clutch springs are way too flimsy to handle even the stock power at full stick let alone a 20% increase.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
you should not have trouble, but in case, motorcycle parts are duty free. refer to HS code 8714.10.00.50. see also the import guide, category 5.

good luck!

Reactions: syncro and Squisher

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
ı was sad to see this o_Oo_Oo_O
i know, its terrible.. i broker my own goods, lately it seems everything is sent to Toronto 1st
and then it sits there for a week.. I ordered some turn siggie canceling goodies at near
end of season last summer, they arrived in September or something stupid... :(

i dont trust the system with my ECU.. no way

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vcycle has a decent rep - you'll be fine!

My bike had:

• full Akrapovic system
  • DNA air filter
  • EDR Velocity Stacks and custom Norton Motorsports airbox mod
  • ECU flash and tune for 91 pump.

Stock - 43.4hp and 23.6ft lbs
End result - 52.6hp and 27.8ft lbs

Weight drop from stock for all my mods was 18lbs so it weighed 354lbs with a full tank on the road.

OEM clutch springs need to be upgraded - thats a $30 online order and 20 minutes of your time kinda job but the OEM clutch springs are way too flimsy to handle even the stock power at full stick let alone a 20% increase.
Damn that's some healthy increase. Thanks for the info and the reminder on the clutch springs. I need to get off my ass and make sure that happens right away I've heard they are weak and it's felt that way to me when I've ridden it. We just ordered a Corbin seat for the ninja, I picked up a top sellerie seat second hand last year for my fz1 and I'm pretty sure my wife's ass has been jealous ever since.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know, its terrible.. i broker my own goods, lately it seems everything is sent to Toronto 1st
and then it sits there for a week.. I ordered some turn siggie canceling goodies at near
end of season last summer, they arrived in September or something stupid... :(

i dont trust the system with my ECU.. no way
I am nervous as fuck sending out my ECU. Should have done it a month ago. Atleast I have my drz to get me through if shit goes south somehow, but I sure hope it doesn't! I'm not really to worried I've ordered plenty of stuff from the states, just never really sent anything the other way which is what got me started overthinking this customs stuff.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
i'm right there with you.. when i 1st got my R1 flashed, It was relatively easy with Nels supporting
ECUnleashed as I just took my bike down, we reflashed it in person and tossed it on the dyno..
min you i did have the mother of all scares, the 1st flash file was corrupted. So we had to wait
for another flash a couple of hours later.. It worked itself out but yeah, i was a bit scared.

thats my bloody bike as far as i'm concerned. yeah you can buy a replacement but if its
used, you really have no fvcking clue what you're getting.

I discussed the matter with Ivan and he assured me usps registered was golden.

But yeah, i'd be weary of it sitting at customs for god knows how long.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After all my fretting the ecu has arrived, been tuned, and already on its way back. Sometimes I do overthink shit. Analysis paralysis has been something I've needed to stay aware of many times. Still, I'd rather overthink things than underthink them.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
^^^ reminds me of the comment that, if you think education is expensive, you should price out ignorance!

Reactions: bacchus40

·
backslider
11,278 Posts
Ya - no kidding - just look at the state of the world today !!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
What YL said ..... ships as used parts and any taxes will be on the value of the service provided. I sent my VFR1200F to Guhl with no issues using this method. And the $375 or so didn’t even ring a bell at CBSA so taxes weren’t an issue.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So. ECU shipped there fine, one day turn around and now it's been stuck in US customs in Florida since march 21st. The tuner says we'll give it until the end of this week and if no update/movement he'll open a case. Fuuuuuuck!!! If I didn't have my drz I'd be losing my shit. I am glad I opted to pay for insured return shipping but like any insurance I'd hoped to never have to use it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts