BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Above-average member
233 Posts
A guy walking across the street said, "Nice bike," and really meant it.

On my way to pick up supper I pulled over and took a snapshot. The bike was beautifully cleaned, even the chain. I pulled back onto Grandview Highway, eastbound.

Ten blocks later, I stopped normally for a red light at Rupert Street. People in the other two through lanes stopped just like I did. One-quarter of a second later: ATTACK FROM THE REAR. Hit by a stucco truck (replete with crud and mixer trailer) and launched 25 to 30 feet. A witness told me I lay there for maybe 10 seconds and then I wandered around the middle of the rush hour intersection, disoriented.

The truck's skid marks start ahead of where I was stopped.

Cops didn't show up for over 40'. The fire guys had to control traffic and remove debris, including my just-a-moment-ago-beautiful bike. The paramedics were good.

Damage? By a quick estimate, at least $3900 in parts alone, everything aft of the tank; maybe the swingarm is okay. Hard not to think about things like hours and hours spent polishing, new exhaust, new tire...

Damage to the truck? Headlight and grille.

Ride it like you stole it but be careful with intersections, driveways, animals...and especially other road users. You never know who's drunk, who's tired, who's distracted, who's got emotional problems...

Please don't jump green lights. If someone had in my case, I'd be dead. And wear your spine protectors. I did and my back is pretty good. Sore neck, though. I also have a lower abdominal injury, presumably I was crushed between the tank and the truck/my back protector. There is a big dent and three small ones in the metal body of a brand new camera (11 days old) that was in my backpack -- it's not mine, either.

Sure glad I worked out before leaving the house. Can't now.

The driver who destroyed my bike and knocked me a good 25-30 feet, figuring he would run a stale red light in spite of everyone else having stopped, is ***edited***. His driver's licence says he lives at***edited*** Coquitlam. His truck (registered to ***edited*** of Poco) is labelled "T***edited***." Initially he did not contact ICBC but an adjuster called me yesterday to say that this guy has made a "cryptic claim" that I changed lanes and stopped at a yellow light. This is a complete lie and someone should tell ***edited***n that lying will result in negative consequences. Traffic was heavy and there was no lane changing. The light was red. All three through lanes stopped at the same time. This driver is anti-motorcyclist to the extent that he will lie to shirk responsibility for the extensive damage he has caused. Odd how at the scene he did not say anything about changing lanes or a yellow light. Everyone there said it was totally obvious it was 100% his fault. Now the ICBC adjustor tells me that when it is obviously one person's fault there are often no witnesses to prove it.

I need to go rest now.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Shit man glad you're OK!

Usually the fault shifts to the person thats rear ends the other, for following too close... I used to live @ Rupert & 7th, that intersection is horrible at the best of times!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
i sympathise with you friend, but I'm not sure if it'll help your case with ICBC to post these driver details here.
If I were you, I'd get rid of them. In fact, delete this post alltogether, or at least alter it accordingly.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What an a**! I really hope that the ICBC investigator goes by your story and sees through the BS. You should have taken photos with the camera to show the skid marks he made past where you stopped while the "lights were yellow". Too bad you were even too disoriented to take down the numbers of the witnesses.

I hope your injuries remain minor and temporary. Glad to hear you survived. However, I'm wondering if you really should post the details about this person in such detail here...

·
Above-average member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kamen rider said:
What an a**!...Glad to hear you survived. However, I'm wondering if you really should post the details about this person in such detail here...
Thanks. It's simple: I'm hoping someone knows him and will tell the worthless miscreant that it's bad enough he almost killed me now he has to be honest and take responsibility.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay and that the majority of the damage is to the bike. The bike can be replaced. You can't.

I've edited your post and your title because the last thing we need is vigilantism being traced back to this site. I'm sure you understand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
+1 on getting a lawyer.
Its been said before but document EVERYTHING. expenses, appointments, you name it.
They will get you more or at least not less in the long run and you don't have to deal with ICBC's crap.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
R6Richard said:
...this guy has made a "cryptic claim" that I changed lanes and stopped at a yellow light.
So what, we don't stop for yellows anymore?

Sounds like you are OK and that's a big plus. Dude is trying to shift the blame, I hope witnesses come forward for you and burn his ass.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Witnesses. Always get the numbers of one or more witnesses. It does not matter a cootie what everyone says at the scene ICBC wants witnesses.

Did I mention that it's important to get witnesses? It is....

Even one unconnected witness would make this an open and shut case of lieing to your benifit. Other than medical aid finding a witness should be the very next priority before you even look at your car or bike.

I've been a witness for two cases now where I was not even involved and just went up and gave my name and number to the victim. In both cases the person at fault tried to lie later on to attempt to get the blame shared or shift it entirely.

Everyone in any accident should plant this in their mind. And if you witness an accident be good enough to stop and offer your name and number as a witness be it for a car or a bike. Especially where one or the other was totally to blame like in this case.

·
???????
908 Posts
TeeTee said:
Witnesses. Always get the numbers of one or more witnesses. It does not matter a cootie what everyone says at the scene ICBC wants witnesses.

Did I mention that it's important to get witnesses? It is....

Even one unconnected witness would make this an open and shut case of lieing to your benifit. Other than medical aid finding a witness should be the very next priority before you even look at your car or bike.

I've been a witness for two cases now where I was not even involved and just went up and gave my name and number to the victim. In both cases the person at fault tried to lie later on to attempt to get the blame shared or shift it entirely.

Everyone in any accident should plant this in their mind. And if you witness an accident be good enough to stop and offer your name and number as a witness be it for a car or a bike. Especially where one or the other was totally to blame like in this case.
This should be a sticky!!!

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
Should always get witnesses, but in this case it shouldn't matter too much. He rearended you, and that is a 100% fault on his part - ICBC always sees it that way. A drunk as fuck driver who shouldn't be on the road can still win a claim if he gets rearended.

·
1,768 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear you're ok...

Hopefully others can learn from this too. Always watch your mirrors when you stop and leave the bike in gear ready to go. Doesn't sound like you had much of a chance in this case though...

;D

·
Registered
819 Posts
If he's disputing your version of events it's up to him to provide proof in this case since he hit you from behind. Hopefully he didn't have a "buddy" willing to stretch the truth driving with him or you may need witnesses yet.

·
Above-average member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, guys.
Got two witnesses but they might not have anything to rebut this stuccoer's tale that I changed lanes.
I'm not looking for any kind of militancy; I just want a friend or family member of this man to tell him he's caused more than enough damage and that it's time to be honest.
There was nothing I could have done to prevent this and I'm quite upset about insult being added to injury.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
R6Richard said:
I'm not looking for any kind of militancy; I just want a friend or family member of this man to tell him he's caused more than enough damage and that it's time to be honest.
It was worth a shot but from what I've seen, friends and family rarely go against an individual and usually side with their version of the story.

As stated previously, write down all the details (location, direction of travel, time, etc.) of this incident while it's still fresh in your mind just in case.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I really hope your personal injuries do not become chronic ones.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
kamen rider said:
As stated previously, write down all the details (location, direction of travel, time, etc.) of this incident while it's still fresh in your mind just in case.
Draw a sketch too, those are always a huge help

1 - 20 of 53 Posts