BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tucked my race bike into an unheated garage yeaterday, and whaddaya know, we wake up to frosted rooftops this morning. So of course as I'm lying in bed my head starts imagining frozen water wetter expanding and splitting coolant hoses, radiator popping holes and great pressure being built up in the channels through the engine block. Anyways, can anyone provide a how-to or a link to a drain the cooling system tutorial, or can I maybe get some encouragement to just leave the bike as is since it is so rare that we really reach a low enough temp (looks like lows of 2-3 deg this week) here in vancouver. Remember, we are not talking about regular antifreeze.

Thanks

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Even a lightbulb left on near the block will keep the engine from freezing if the temps get to zero for instance....althought I wouldnt be too worried about it as the temps wont be below freezing.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Here's a link to an F4i manual:

http://www.diff.ru:8000/Honda_CBR600_F4i_01-03_Service_Manual.zip

Unless you've found yourself a new bike, in which case you might find the manual somewhere in this thread (this link is stickied somewhere on BCSB):

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=420640

Also, I see Canadian tire has assorted heaters for cars, trucks, snowmobiles, farm equip, etc. in their flyer this week as well as a temperature activated power-saver plug-in. You might be able to find something there that you can stick onto your engine block.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Just yank off one of the hoses down low on the bike somewhere and open the radiator cap.

But as mentioned a blanket or tarp or (posh) a bike cover with a 40 or 60 watt bulb under the cover will keep it warmer than freezing even in the worst of it.

Also it's likely your garage does not get as cold as freezing. A couple of years back I got worried when someones bike froze and popped off a couple of hoses (I don't think there was any more damage IIRC). I ran out and checked but the bucket of water I keep by the grinder for cooling the stuff was still liquid. But my shop/garage is insulated. No heater unless I fire it up but there's enough ground heat that it doesn't freeze.

If your garage is connected to the house it'll never freeze in there unless you leave the big door open. If it's totally detached and uninsulated then it would be wise to drain it or do the light bulb trick.

If it survived through the last freezing spell in November then you're fine. That was a nasty one.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
my garage is attached to the house, but just to be sure I bought an inexpensive heater and a timer, leave it on low pointing towards the bike and set the timer for 11 pm to 6 am...no worries, even though I don't think my garage even gets below 5-6 C

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Hey Tyler,

I just drained all the coolant at the end of the year. With the size of the bike cooling system and the amount of water wetter in a container, it seems like I have a 10 year supply of the stuff.

On the ZX6R, there is a small screw in the bottom of the water pump. I just open the rad cap, undo the small bolt and it drained out.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I think you'll probably be okay.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. No, the f4i is in my parents' heated basement, its the new machine I'm concerned about. Might drain it tomorrow since it is in a detached, uninsulated garage w/ no power.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
You could try a battery blanket too. It's a little electric blanked that you wrap around a car battery in colder areas so it won't freeze. You'd have too look in for one in the interior, Edmonton for one I'd guess.

·
AKA Newfie Girl
2,321 Posts
Moose said:
Thanks guys. No, the f4i is in my parents' heated basement, its the new machine I'm concerned about. Might drain it tomorrow since it is in a detached, uninsulated garage w/ no power.

I heard about the new machine yesterday from the seller. Congrats!! Good score.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Why not put anti freeze into it until next season....

·
Speed Freak
95 Posts
Can you add this product to exsisting antifreeze or do you loose some of the cooling properties? I am more concerned about heat problems.
Frost

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Its a non glycol replacement for antifreeze. You need to go with one or the other - not mixed. Good part is that it has better cooling effect (not to mention non slippery), - thought the boiling point is lower

·
Speed Freak
95 Posts
I am looking to get the most effective cooling mixture. I guess that distilled water and water wetter is the way to go. Anyone know where you can get distilled water from?
Frost

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
cambodian tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts