·
ShitHappensFast-BeFaster
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MCN
By Dan Aspel -
General news
10 January 2011 15:17

An electric superbike has taken two podium spots at a California-based race series – fighting off a petrol-fuelled grid of RC8s and 1198s.

The Swigz.com Racing team bike – which makes 194bhp and 295ftlbs of instant torque – was piloted by team owner Chip Yates. An overjoyed Yates tweeted shortly after the races: “History has been made, and the gasoline bikes are on notice!”.

The race took place yesterday – Sunday 9 Jan – at the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana, California, as part of the WERA West Sportsman Series. Yates’ team finished second in the Heavyweight Twins Superstock class and third in the Heavyweight Twins superbike class. They also secured the fastest lap in the second race, setting a time of 1:39:792 around the 2.62 mile course.

Yates explained to MCN how the Swigz.com electric superbike works:

“The motor has no gears - the torque is made from the permanent magnets that are bonded to the spinning rotor being repelled by the windings that are bonded to the inside of the motor housing. The UQM motor uses a very large number of these windings that are computer controlled by the liquid cooled motor controller. On our model the charge is held by 102 lithium ion polymer pouch cells.”

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Jesus... 300lbs of torque on tap at any moment.

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
it sounds like the world's fastest sewing machine - or even trolly bus (sounds obnoxious) :surrender

·
Back in the saddle, baby
976 Posts
Must be a totally different riding experience, too... electric motors make their highest torque at low speeds, so he must have to really fight to keep his front wheel down off the line!

·
Fuh-coffee we will go
3,776 Posts
I can just see it now....

Uh yes Officer, my aftermarket carbon fibre exhausts are illegal, but they don't do anything. They're just for pose factor.

Why am I still getting a ticket?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
This is awesome,
Electric bikes in BC don't need to be plated and
can park on the Vancouver sidewalks
Yes most do require plates and insurance. Once the pedals are removed they become limited speed cycles. And most have had bypasses installed in order to prevent the operator from having to continually pedal to keep them moving.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-li...es/low-powered/motor-assisted#different_rules

That page is interesting reading. You will see all those e-bikes are presently running on the roads illegally since they are the Motor Assisted Cycle Regs state:

Motor shut-off requirement
3 (1) A motor assisted cycle must be equipped with a mechanism, separate from the accelerator controller, that

(a) allows the driver to turn the motor on and off from a normal seated position while operating the motor assisted cycle, or
(b) prevents the motor from turning on or engaging before the motor assisted cycle attains a speed of 3 km/hr.
(2) The motor of a motor assisted cycle must turn off or disengage if
(a) the operator stops pedaling
(b) an accelerator controller is released, or
(c) a brake is applied.

Unfortunately most LEO's are unaware of these regs since it is fairly low on their priority list.

Full regs here:
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_151_2002

And since those are waaaayyyyy over 1500 watts, they would be licensed the same as a gasoline vehicle. The question would be in what displacement class will ICBC put them?

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
I wonder what kind if any engine braking there is available to help set up for the corners ?
I would think that as these things are optimized, the more regenerative braking, the smaller the battery is, thus the faster it goes.

Two wheel drive, anyone? Seems the next logical step, if you consider it (IC engines can't turn heat into gasoline).

This thing is so fucking inspiring...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks cool, but still a long way to go to catch up to modern combustion engines. If they can get the same power but drop 100 pounds they will be able to put up a fight.

At the same event 16 year old kids on 600 cc superstock bikes are over 9 seconds per lap faster. The first 3 seconds might not be too hard to get, the next three will be 10 times harder...the last 3 seconds will be hundreds of times harder to get.

I haven't been following electric bikes much, but I have to think this is probably the best effort to date.

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Looks cool, but still a long way to go to catch up to modern combustion engines. If they can get the same power but drop 100 pounds they will be able to put up a fight.

At the same event 16 year old kids on 600 cc superstock bikes are over 9 seconds per lap faster. The first 3 seconds might not be too hard to get, the next three will be 10 times harder...the last 3 seconds will be hundreds of times harder to get.
Yeah, but it doesn't have to win to be exciting enough for us regular types, speedy.

I would even watch it on television, as the racing would still be quality. Assuming the bikes were in the same ballpark and the riders had incentive to want it...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts