BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
That thing sounds like a Banshee... just howling and howling.
I wouldn't be surprised if Kawi was rolling these things out in 5 years...
Maybe 6 because then they'd have to recall them... stop them from blowing up... then decide to redesign the whole thing... then recall them again...
So, 40 years and we'll have our first Kawasaki Prius!:eek

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Looks cool, but still a long way to go to catch up to modern combustion engines. If they can get the same power but drop 100 pounds they will be able to put up a fight.

At the same event 16 year old kids on 600 cc superstock bikes are over 9 seconds per lap faster. The first 3 seconds might not be too hard to get, the next three will be 10 times harder...the last 3 seconds will be hundreds of times harder to get.

I haven't been following electric bikes much, but I have to think this is probably the best effort to date.

Looks like it's competing to me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey I wonder how they are going to deal with the engine size and licensing issues. There is no engine displacement to speak of and an electronic limiter can be hacked. Can you imagine tons of new riders in Richmond on these bikes with chips hacks. "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......waaaaaaa iiii yaaaaaaaaa"

BTW something bugs me about the fact you are riding "crotch on" a rolling Tazer Gun.

·
track hack
2,036 Posts
Looks like it's competing to me
Not really... Chip Yates forfeited all of his points that weekend to gas powered bikes as they stuck him in heavyweight twins classes and middleweight classes to I believe.

He was competing with the ladies lap times and the Novice lap times but nowhere close to the leader (Randolph on a KTM1190) or as DMNH said - way off the pace of "16 year old kids on R6's" - Pascerella and DeHaven are FAR from your average racing 16 year old though - AMA riders who are extremely fast...

300ft lbs or torque and 158mph top speed sure helps but the kicker is the fact that he runs frame sliders on the rear 'pizza box" battery thingy...Awesome!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sure it's 'interesting' But besides being a one off "race' bike (as noted: against Odd competition) Even a 100 mile Range under ideal conditions ie: semi constant Hiway speed. Would take one to Abbotsford and back.. Maybe.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Not really... Chip Yates forfeited all of his points that weekend to gas powered bikes as they stuck him in heavyweight twins classes and middleweight classes to I believe.

He was competing with the ladies lap times and the Novice lap times but nowhere close to the leader (Randolph on a KTM1190) or as DMNH said - way off the pace of "16 year old kids on R6's" - Pascerella and DeHaven are FAR from your average racing 16 year old though - AMA riders who are extremely fast...

300ft lbs or torque and 158mph top speed sure helps but the kicker is the fact that he runs frame sliders on the rear 'pizza box" battery thingy...Awesome!

funny you mention that as it brings up the entire class issue... 1200cc bikes competing with those a lot smaller... plus we'll toss in an electric bike too.... geee.. I wonder why the lap times are all over the place.

·
track hack
2,036 Posts
funny you mention that as it brings up the entire class issue... 1200cc bikes competing with those a lot smaller... plus we'll toss in an electric bike too.... geee.. I wonder why the lap times are all over the place.
Yup, I agree - it brings up all kinds of weird issues with racers.

for example it ran superstock which doesn't allow a lot of changes yet this bike has one off frame, GP spec front end, monobloc brakes, etc... All not typically legal in that class.

·
Electric Boogaloo
226 Posts
And since those are waaaayyyyy over 1500 watts, they would be licensed the same as a gasoline vehicle. The question would be in what displacement class will ICBC put them?
They put mine in the "110cc and under" class, with an "E" fuel code. 0 cc's and all that. Dirt cheap insurance.

I can't see that arrangement lasting though. I got away with it because ICBC didn't really know what to make of me at the time, but now that there are some electric motorcycles actually available retail, there'll probably be new rate classes, or classifications by power to weight or something.

Robyn

·
Electric Boogaloo
226 Posts
What is your ride?

This: http://www.evalbum.com/1497

It's currently decommissioned. The battery manufacturer swore up and down that their cells could be mounted in any orientation. Turns out that that's... not true. They need to be mounted vertically. Since they're rectangular, I need to completely redesign the bike to accommodate them. I simply don't have the time or budget to do that.

It was fun while it lasted... Anyone want to buy conversion parts? Everything but the cells are in perfect working order.

Robyn

21 - 40 of 48 Posts