BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a little something, and while I think I've got it figured out, I'm not sure how to interpret this...

I assume this is a relay, but the symbol for the BR connection escapes me. Any question unanswered leaves me uneasy. Anyone?

DC circuit, W is +.

·
Registered
708 Posts
GY would need to be a ground, and when power is applied you should have continuity between BR and GY. The sympol with a 'wiper' arm like that means its a latch or a switch to a certain extent. But to be honest, I don't know why anyone would wire a relay as this is shown. Its more along the lines of a PNP or NPN transitor. What part is this for. Have a picture of it by chance?

G

·
Does not look like a relay to me.

Relays need 4 contacts, not just 3. 2 to engage the coil and 2 for the higher amperage current. I think that's a switch of some sort.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Could the device be a senor of some kind, with W being power, GY ground and BR a variable output.

What is it supposed to do?

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Definetly not a relay. You're missing at least one connection for it to be a relay.

The others have some good questions. We need more info.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've looked at it further and it's not a relay. It's the ignition switch on my track bike, I'm going keyless. The manual leaves a few details out, I'm glad I didn't just start twisting wires together, coulda fried the ignitor... Guess I'd make a pretty poor thief.
Thanks for playing guys.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
You only got three wires at the key switch????? THat must be some sort of record for minimalism! Or is this the on-off switch at the starter push button pod?

My old Honda had so many contacts that needed to be made that I just said to heck with it and pulled out the lock cylinder and made up a plastic insert to replace the cylinder and key altogether.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The key switch is really basic, thankfully (for me, too good for losers tho...) Truth is there are 5 wires, but two are for the brake lights. The key switch is really just a battery kill, with a little twist. The starter is a push connect switch separate from the key switch.
Trying to avoid giving out free lunches here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts