R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when should an engine be rebuilt? how much does it cost? thanks

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
when compression is low and or its sucking oil ....find a used one its usually cheaper these days.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
There is always a healthy supply of crashed bike, so getting a low mileage engine is not a problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe awesome, can they be self installed or do i require some tools that are not possessed by the common man?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nothing wrong with rebuilding an engine if it is done right.

In fact, a properly rebuilt engine can be better than a brand new engine if service manual specs are bang on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shesh 1500 for a new engine is a good price. Then again in my head im thinking cars where a new SR or RB will run like 3-5G. I bet its no where near as hard to install as a car engine is either.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
when should an engine be rebuilt?
when it no worky no more.

It's usually easier to replace the engine. With a shop manual, some tools, and a place to work it's not really that difficult to do if you are mechanically inclined.

get a rear stand if you don't have one...

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
Driftland said:
I bet its no where near as hard to install as a car engine is either.
This is true....for the most part I can pick up with my bare hands a bike motor but car motors often require lifts/hoists and the like.

Ratzilla said:
hehe awesome, can they be self installed or do i require some tools that are not possessed by the common man?
I would recommend not attempting an engine rebuild if these are the questions you are asking outloud. I'd hate to hear what's going on in your head! Simply pulling and swapping motors will not be all that hard, but a full rebuild will require some specific tools.

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And thats probably $1500 for the parts to rebuild a motor, as a opposed to your $3000 for a rebuilt car motor. Rebuild time is performance inhancment time!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts