BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my engine and I like to use gasoline to clean bearings and gears and remove caked on gasket gunk from my engine case. GAS is good! It is really cheap, easy to get everywheres and does a good job. But the problem is it stinks to much. I'm thinking does Ethanol work? Might go for odourless Kerosane too. We can get odourless kerosene from Canadiantire. But where else can we get kerosene in Vancouver? Where can we get ethanol beside the liqour store? :laughing

M

·
0 Posts
a good orange based cleaner is also an amazing cleaner/degreaser. you might also try ZEP.

·
Hockey Trev
284 Posts
we use acetone at my work for cleaning tooling (tool and die shop)... works pretty well. I'd try to find some of that stuff, altho its stinky as well.

R

·
0 Posts
you do realize that odourless kerosone is still bad for you even if you cant smell it >_>

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Ratzilla said:
you do realize that odourless kerosone is still bad for you even if you cant smell it >_>
...beat me to it :rolleyes . I'll add that if you do use odorless, use the standard precautions [yada yada yada] especially if there's kids with access to your work area. Oh ya, and discard the container once you're done... unopened, at the entry to any CrappyTire store. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SkipTkt said:
Oh ya, and discard the container once you're done... unopened, at the entry to any CrappyTire store. :D
Haha, that's funny.

Lordco for ethanol, thanks

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
Do your liver a favour and buy some parts cleaner. And wear nitrile gloves. You young'uns think you're bullet proof.:laughing

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Ethanol is alchohal. Alky isn't that great for cleaning parts, it's HIGHLY flammable and the fumes will make you sick.

The stuff that is used to make gasoline is also highly toxic if you breath the fumes for long. Not the best choice. And the stuff in gasoline is VERY hard on your internal organs when the gas leaches in through your skin pores.

Go to Lordco or some other parts store and get a can of Varsol or other cleaning solvent. It works far better and has a far lower vapour pressure so it doesn't generate anywhere near the same amount of fumes. And while it isn't totally safe from a fire point of view it's the safest of the solvents you can get in this regard. And it doesn't stink like gasoline does. Finally cost. Varsol is about $5 a gallon which is onlly a little more than we pay for gasoline these days. A small price for the advantages I would say.

Last but not least. FJRpilot raises a very wise point. Get some good thicker nitrile gloves and use them religiously. Any solvent will tend to strip the oils from your skin and with ongoing use can easily bring on a nasty case of eczema (sp?) where your skin gets dry, scaley and cracks open in painful sores. And all solvents that can strip the oils like this will find their way through your now unprotective skin and into your bloodstream where they do damage to your internal organs. USE THE DAMN GLOVES AND LIVE TO RIDE LONGER!

PS: Ethanol is the stuff in liquor. I thought there was something wrong with that when I was typing my reply. It's METHANOL that you get from the hardware store. Ethanol is stuff you get from the liquor store but it's commonly thinned with various favourful additives and colorings. And if I see you washing engine parts with any good single malt scotchs I'll personlly whack you upside the head! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TT

I always wear thick rubber gloves and I always work on outside in a ventilated area. I am aware about solvent's toxicity. I'm not taking a shower in it. LOL

I'll change to Varsol, good point on the Alky. I was just looking for a substitue solvent that has less odour than gas, yet was as cheap.

Yes, Ethanol is the stuff in liquor and it is also fuel that is blended into gasoline, just like methanol. True, hardware don't sell ethanol, else we'd have a lot of people lining up in Canadiantire on friday nights. LOL. I'll get some Varsol.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I like to smoke around my shop a lot and almost caught myself on fire...so now i don't use any of that shit anymore. I take all the parts outside and use engine de gunk or bug and tar remover and a garden hose ...

then i use compressed air and let dry after for about 10 min before re installing...

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Diesel fuel works great and is not flammable like gasoline. Just make sure you wear gloves and don't spill or dump any into the soil.

·
Registered
978 Posts
slowzuki said:
I like to smoke around my shop a lot and almost caught myself on fire...so now i don't use any of that shit anymore. I take all the parts outside and use engine de gunk or bug and tar remover and a garden hose ...

then i use compressed air and let dry after for about 10 min before re installing...
that reminds me of what my dad almost did...hes from england and used to work in some shop when he was in his teens where they were cleaning rims on some guys car and everyone in england smokes basically(some crazy rate like 85% smoke) and they were using some chemical that was really flammable and dipped a rag in a giant vat of the stuff then brought it over to the rim soaking wet and then the ash from his cigarette landed on the rag setting it on fire along with his hands and the trail back to the vat...luckily it didnt make it inside the container

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
No matter what you use, definitely put on some kind of vapour mask.

R

·
0 Posts
lol if anyone remembers that episode in friends, Ross was talking ot the pizza girl and was like..they put that smell in gas...gas is actually odourless but they put it in so you can smell it...lol, I don't know. Reminded me of that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts