BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I did my driver test today. Clean run. Except he failed my for going too slow. First time he warned me, I was driving right beside a school. He gave me a few other warnings too. After the test he tells me how slow I was driving. Points out how slow I was going along Deer Lake Parkway, how there's a whole line of cars behind me. Okay, at this point I'm watching my speedometer more than I'm looking at the bloody road. Speedo is going between 45 and 50. Blah. I'm suprised he didn't take me down south west marine drive and tell me I was holding up traffic there too. Then there's the highway...

After the test he tells me I was going as low as 75 on the highway, and everyone was passing me. No shit. People on the #1 were going faster than 90km/hr? wow, someone tell the cops. So I figure maybe my speedo is out a bit, I'll check it tomorrow. Was I going 75 though? No f**ing way. On the test results, he writes that I was going too slow @ 40km/hr. Let's see, it's pissing down rain, I'm doing a driver test, and he dings me 8 times because I'm going 40 (by his speedo)?

Anyways, I'm thinking about talking with the manager at the driver test centre, show him the report and ask him if driving 40 km/hr on a rainy day is so bad (and I'm not even convinced I was going that slow). To boot, twice the examiner gave me late instructions where I had to cross a single white line, which is a road violation. If I was going the "speed limit" I would have gotten into a bloody accident.

There's my rant for the day :mad :mad

Oh, who am I kidding? The manager will ask the examiner to come in, he'll say I'm a lousy driver, and nothing will change. I might as well write another cheque to icbc for $50 and save the embarrassment of being called a shitty driver.

sluggo

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like my test I took in Langley back in September. Maybe its the same guy, was it a 25-30 yr white guy about 5'11. I still remember that son of a bitch, some places he said I was going too fast and someplaces way to slow:2up Where did you take your test, was it at the Burnaby center or Vancouver.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I took my road test out in Burnaby as well, but it was a part of the BC Safety Council course, so the tester was a cool guy that we had already gotten to know a little throughout the course. I would complain if I were you, what can it hurt? The worst thing that can happen is they say no. I think it is worth a little embarassment (although I do not think you have anything to worry about) to risk getting your license and saving some money. :)

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Sorry to hear about that sluggo. Complaining may make it harder on ya if you go to the same testing station. Unfortunately, its probably easier just to chalk it up.

·
Registered
872 Posts
and then when you see some tard lady driving too slow near 3rd and cambie crossing white lines you complain "how the fuck did she get her liscense ?"

not trying to flame too much, but thats the point of the road test... I would rather for MY sake that they fail people that they feel werent good enough drivers...

if you want to make an omelette then you have to break a few eggs, if more instructors were as critical as him we would have alot less shitty drivers on the road.

my apologies if this seems harsh, and im not trying to flame you directly, but its odd that we spend half our time bitching on the site about crappy drivers, and then when someone fails the road test we complain about crappy testers ?:confused

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is no point arguing after the fact .. Maybe right when he explains the problem you could politely complain. During the next exam .. bring it up before hand that you failed the last time because you were too concious about keeping the speed limits and went too slow. Ask the examiner about what they want to see ... after they say it to you before the test .. just follow it and they can't exactly fail you after for following their directions?

75 on the highway is a little slow isn't it? Stay right at the limit and its OKAY to go a little over .. keep the odo right at the limits.

I went 30 in a 50 zone during my test =) But the guy let me off because it was a school field in a residential area .. but there was no sign indicating you to slow down =) ??? He said in that case it would be better to be slow than fast ??

Good luck on your next exam!!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
dude there's no winning really..
you go faster than speed limit - you're speeding
you go slower than speed limit - you're holding up traffic..

i was failed partly because i was driving 45kmh in a 50kmh zone.

shrug

good luck next time.

-d

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I doubt I'll actually complain, but I'll have to discuss things ahead of time because I need to know what passes and what fails.

Also, I'm not admitting that I was actually going slow... my speedo doesn't match what the examiner said. :rolleyes . Like I said, it got to the point that I spent most of my time looking at the speedo, keeping it as close to 50 without going over as possible. As for 75 on the highway, there was a speed reduction sign from 90 to 80 (I think the examiner missed it?), in which case 75 isn't really very slow at all (if I was in fact going 75).

Manny, this was in burnaby.

sluggo

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sluggo my man I feel for yah, same type of shit happened to me but the Langley tester was a real son of a bitch. If I get my bike soon we'll go for a spin on the roads the tester took you on. Looks like a lot of people fail their first test and if we practise a bit more on the same roads we should pass on our next try. I am planning on taking it in Burnaby and do you know if I should book in advance.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
i failed the first time too, for riding too slow but i was going the speed limit the whole time. I think maybe i wasn't accelerating fast enough but that changed real quick the next time:D
don't think it's worth it to complain unless your taking the exam somewhere else next time

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
Seems like the testers don't care if you go with the flow of traffic if there is traffic behind you. The same line I kept hearing after the test was, "You are a hazzard on the road. You must not be a hazzard on the road." The testers should tell you all your mistakes and you should have no problem passing the next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Manny, I think when I took my test I had booked 10 to 14 days in advance (their first available slot). However, when I got there it sounded like I was the only guy doing a bike test that day. I think you could maybe go stand-by this time of year, but you'd might as well book it so you don't waste time. I'll probably book again tomorrow.

sluggo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you got *ucked

:firemad Yo I don't think its a good idea to complain, you're gonna stress for no reason with the manager, you won't win. I'm new too and I'm going to get my license in the summer, hope I don't get the same guy. That's aight though,, just stay the exact limit or maybe even a couple clicks over. Now you know your mistakes, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sux, sluggo!
All I can say is I think alot of it is a ploy to get more money out of us... I mean I had to take the crappy learner's test on the computer twice! Some of those questions are just screwy.

But, I had no problem with the road test. I kept my speed to the limit and even a tad over, trying to keep as much clear space around me at all times. (I'd rather be far away from all cagers anyway!.:p )

I say "Just grin & bear it", and you'll be legal in no time. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts