BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

excessive speeding ticket

10K views 61 replies 33 participants last post by  JoeNinja67 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was coming down Fraser hwy and passed a car and before i knew it I had a cop on my ass , he decided to throw the book at me, gave me a ticket for excessive speeding (was only going 80 or 90 in a 60 or 70 zone) and a driving with undue care what ever that is. Ended up with a $700 ticket.
My question is can they or will they try to take my license away for this?? I have my full class 5/6 license and it my first speeding ticket on the bike.

#5 ·
So from reading that it sounds like the premium is $320 for 1 Excessive speed conviction. Where do you get the $955 + $305 ?
He didnt even have a radar gun to prove to me how fast I was going , Such BS I think cause I has my D&D pipe on there it sounds way faster then I'm going

#6 ·
what is this "criminal code" stuff? what tickets fall under that category? or is this completely unrelated to driving: if you get charged and convicted of assault do you pay ICBC 900$?

and why do people with drunk driving history get a break? you need two roadsides until youre charged? and then at a way lower rate than the "criminal" section
kinda dumb

plus they say this is just to "offset" the costs for insuring safe motorists? more like a MONEY GRAB for the execs who need a $100k/year raise.

#7 ·
You got an undue and care ticket for passing someone? lol cops are such dicks! Unless you are leaving some details out of ur story?

Dispute it! Go to court in a year and a half once it goes through and ask for a lesser charge as you were passing slow moving traffic and the cop was just being an asshole and gave you a rediculouly heafty fine.

No matter what you do, dispute that ticket!

#13 ·
I dont drive/ride in that area often , and if you even been on Fraser hwy you know the speed limit changes alot. Also I dont ride around looking at my speedo it was after a long stretch of one lane road behind a long line of slow drivers when it came to 2 lanes I just wanted to get in front of a few.

#54 ·
Or talk nice to the judge, show that you are truly sorry. The Judge might lower your fine. Best of all if the officer doesn't show, your ticket is thrown out.

It's worth disputing, just for the premium jump on your insurance alone. I have a strong suspicion that more people are going to be disputing their tickets now.

#14 ·
I recieved a speeding ticket in September. It was $375. It was my first ticket in 5 years. I paid it and thought that was over with. Just like me you will recieve a letter from ICBC Services in a couple of months with an additional $325 fine because of some " drivers premium risk" catagory. Its something new they told me. You get an extra fine with most tickets. My friend recieved one too because of seat belt tickets.
Don't worry ICBC hurt my feelings too.

#16 ·
'undue care' was explained to me (by the cop who just gave me one) as "direct disregard for public or personal safety; either knowingly or unknowingly posing a hazard to yourself and/or those around you via aggressive or otherwise reckless driving"

aka: irrelevant if you were speeding or not, the cop figures you did something stupid.

#19 ·
Folks, here's the section of the Motor Vehicle Act.

144 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a highway
(a) without due care and attention,
(b) without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
(c) at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.

Now everyone repeat after me, "without due care, without due care, without due care."

"undue care," means you're actually using more care than is required.

sheeeesh. Doesn't anyone read a dictionairy, or the Motor Vehicle Act anymore?:roflmao

#21 ·
148(1) Excessive speed $368.00 - $483.00 3 points
144(1)(a) Drive without due care $368.00 6 points

You just got 9 points. I'd bet your going to get a not-so-nice letter from the Superintendant.

#24 ·
Yaaaa for sure , I for sure thought about it but didnt know the area very well and there was traffic. Plus I didnt think I did something crazy wrong, I just thought it was going to be a regular speeding ticket sure wish I did now , at least then he wouldnt have been able to prove who was riding the bike right lol

#29 ·
The prohibition doesn't take effect until you surrender your license, or it is taken from you. The issue is proof of service of the prohibition. You can drive nicely until you get caught again once the prohibition notice is served.

"Goodbye Joe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKOVPXhlnE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.