BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I were to get a slip on, do the dealers ever buy back the stock exhaust? its a 2002 r6 with under 1000km on the bike so its not like its old. I'm thinking of getting a can and a jet kit to hopefully smooth out some of the stutter I get at lower rms as well as give me better performace all around. Any help would be appreciated

-arai-

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
people have been telling me that dealers would do trade in plus a bit of cash for a new exhaust.... Dealers supposly want stock exhaust's so they can stick em on used bikes that dont have the stockers on em....

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Dealers buying back stock exhausts? That sounds pretty fishy to me. MAYBE if they happen to have something on the lot that needs one. I'd like to hear from someone who's done it.

You might want to hold on to your stock pipe. If you sell your bike, the buyer may not want to get that loud slip-on.

Or you could try to sell it second hand to someone who's dropped there bike and scraped up their exhaust. They won't be looking to pay big bucks, they just want something that looks a bit prettier than their scratched up POS.

Heck, you might need it sometime if you have an, erm, unfortunate experience ;)

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I spoke with the dealer that sold me my last 2 bikes and asked if they would trade my stock for a used aftermarket slip-on that came in on a trade in bike, and he said that he would keep his eyes open for me. But as far as buying your stock exhaust, I guess they may but they would probably not give you much. You could probably get more on eBay. :)

But I would keep your stock pipe, you never know when it will come in handy.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Farhad -- keep the stock!

What if you were to sell the bike, perhaps you'd want to keep the stock to sell with the bike. You never know!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i think thats what I'll end up doing. Now I cant wait to go on more group rides so see and hear the various pipes that people have on their bikes. I've been looking for reviews on the net and have found a few so far. I keep hearing great things about ivans jet kits too but I'm not sure its worth the 500 it would cost me. (unless I took apart the carbs myself.) My bikes a bit of a lug at lower rpm and I'm hoping a slipon with a jet kit will help that out

-arai-

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
pixie said:
Yeah, I agree with Farhad -- keep the stock!

What if you were to sell the bike, perhaps you'd want to keep the stock to sell with the bike. You never know!
Yeah, also (god forbid) if you were to crash on the right side of your bike, and you were paying your repairs out of pocket...it's nice to have the stock exhaust to put back on there. Then you don't have to spend that extra cash to get another slip-on.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hey Arai, if you're going for a group ride and Kit is there, check out his pipe. He's got at 99 R6 with a D&D can. It's probably the best sounding pipe i've heard for a 600. It's pretty low and rumbly at lower rpm's and it gets pretty loud when he takes it up towards the red (if that's what you're looking for). Apparently they are pretty cheap too.

My other buddy has the same bike, and he just bought a Micron polished slip on for $150 US over ebay. I've only heard it at idle, and so far it sounds good. Hopefully if the weather's nice this weekend, I'll be able to hear that pipe at full throttle. Either way, for that price, you can't go wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts