BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There widening the westminster hwy in front of the shop. It's going to be 4 lanes , 2 bicycle lanes and a side walk.

Basically we're losing the front parking lot, no room for big trucks and 33% lose of parking in the original parking stalls. The 20 plus staff from PAC YAM parks along the highway and that will be gone.

So in reality we're losing 75% of our parking. PAC YAM is really screwed because 6 feet in front of there door where bikes are parked outside will be a road.

The city made an offer but the offer wouldn't even pay my property taxes for the year it's a complete joke.

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
There widening the westminster hwy in front of the shop. It's going to be 4 lanes , 2 bicycle lanes and a side walk.
I'm assuming that the city council hasn't actually held the public hearing yet for this? If they haven't, you can go and speak to city council. I know this only because I did exactly that on Monday night as they were trying to put in a liquor store right across the street from my kid's elementary school. We had enough people turn out, several of whom addressed council(Me included). For the first time in the history of the City of Surrey, a proposed development got tabled rather than passed and we're going back next week to pressure the vote to have the zoning change shot down.

Go and give 'em hell at city council!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
sounds like something you'll end up involving your lawyer with..

Bill, if I remember correctly you own that property,don't you?
if so, maby you DON'T HAVE to sell if you don't want to???
they will propably make it SEEM like you don't have a choice here when they deal with you, but my feeling is that you're on top on the top on this one.
like Chumly said, get everyone together, pitch in and get a really good lawyer to help you guys out.
Don't let them bully you.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Boydfish said:
. I know this only because I did exactly that on Monday night as they were trying to put in a liquor store right across the street from my kid's elementary school.
Sounds like good business sense in Surrey.:laughing

Bill, I think its simple physics. They need to widen the road and they can only build sideways. I doubt you will have much luck stopping that type of a major project.

Maybe focus on getting a good tax deal and payout instead.

D

·
0 Posts
the only thing you can do in an expropriation is negotiate the amount of lube they use before they fuck your ass royally. draw it out, they could take it for less than what they were offering. fair market when they want property tax and fair market when they are taking the land away from you are two vastly different things.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I agree totally with doug here, and I would say with the real estate market in its current state of froth, this is a shitty time to have land expropriated since I am sure its inflated market value right now is MUCH higher then its city assessed value.

D

·
0 Posts
if they are saying the road will be 6ft from pac yam's front door, i'd want to look into required easements for roadways. the roadside drainage would end up running under the door itself. construction of the roadbed would extend beyond this as well, taking out the front wall of the buildings.

once again, bc planning and roadbuilding at its finest.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
I'm gonna agree with Doug on this one. You can't fight city hall.

Bear with me for this little story:

The house I grew up in was in the middle of a beautiful residential zone. My parents were told it was always going to be residential.
Across the street from them was a beautiful heritage home with absolutely amazing landscaping...<insert bird chirping sounds here>

Some councilman bought that property across the street and built a Tim Hortons with a late night/early morning drive through...even though there were public hearings and nobody wanted it - it still went through!

The parking lot had these super-bright floodlights, and the drive through cars would wind up aiming their headlights through my bedroom window all night long. It was impossible to sleep. I had blinds and curtains and still it was like daylight in the middle of the night in my room.

I know, long story, here's the point - eventually, the Tim Hortons had so much traffic that they decided to put in a traffic signal in that intersection, as well as a left turning lane so people could line up to turn into the Tim Hortons. As a result of that, they needed an extra lane. Guess from which side of the street they took it from? My parents' house. That's right, we lost about 20 feet of our front yard so they could move everything over one lane. My parent's didn't get a freakin' penny. I moved out because I couldn't sleep anymore. Bah...I hate the government and the buttplugs that run it.

I remember the cops had to visit my dad a couple of times because he kept threatening to kill the land surveyors when they were on our property.

Good luck Bill!

·
MoToSucCubUS
1,784 Posts
you can't stop an expropriation. all you can do is get in everyone's face and try to get the best deal possible.

all the negotiations go through the strata corp. the strata corp. has to hold a special meeting and get 75% approval from the owners to accept whatever offer is on the table; the strata corp. can sign on behalf of the owners once this happens. sometimes the payment just goes into a general "building improvement fund" and you don't see a penny personally. you have to be present to make sure your voice is heard because they don't have to track you down. luckily, some of the other owners in your strata seem just belligerent enough.

do some market research to see what other people have gotten. it is based on: 1. loss of utility, 2. damages, and 3. fee taking.

also, take this home tonight for some light reading: http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/E/96125_01.htm

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Umm.. first off, that road isn't that busy - so why would they? I lived in Richmond for the last 20 years (though not the last couple) and have commuted around that area for years.

Secondly, umm.. their's a highway right next to it?

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to build it - I wonder why their considering it?

In addition to that, are they going to widen all of old Westminster hwy? Because that's a long road, with a lot of farms on it...

Or is this part of the greater plans for queensbourough?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if they look at lack of business during this time. The shop won't be accesable for 2 to 3 months. That is going to hurt.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
adamantium said:
Umm.. first off, that road isn't that busy - so why would they? I lived in Richmond for the last 20 years (though not the last couple) and have commuted around that area for years.

Secondly, umm.. their's a highway right next to it?

I agree - why widen the road there??? seems unnecessary.

You (or the property owner) may want to check the title to the land or check with City Hall. There may be an easement or right of way that allows the City to widen the road - if that is the case, you are hooped.

In Vancouver there are "building lines" on busier streets (ie, SW Marine Dr) that allow the City to widen the road and add an extra lane... people know about this before the buy property on those busy streets. Such building lines are not usually registered on title. Not sure if Richmond uses building lines.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to raise a stink at a public hearing with your neighbours... but the City / Province usually gets its way on expropriations for road use.

D

·
0 Posts
bill, how long have you owned the property? you bought to move the shop there right? i wonder how long this has been in the works. i am wondering if this should have been disclosed at the time of sale. the previous land owner and the real estate agent could get into some doodoo over this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
BlackScorpion said:
I'm gonna agree with Doug on this one. You can't fight city hall.
Since it is a highway, it will probably be the province that does the expropriation. I did work with one of the provincial expropriation guys during the Skytrain construction. At the end of the day, you can only appeal what they are giving you. If you are going to make a claim, make sure all your records are in order. If you experience a drop in business, make sure it is all documented.

Also, if you treat them like assholes, it will only make them want to play hardball that much more.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you want to delay the construction, go buy some native artifacts and bury them under your parking lot. That should shut down construction for a few years at least.:devillook

·
MoToSucCubUS
1,784 Posts
doug said:
bill, how long have you owned the property? you bought to move the shop there right? i wonder how long this has been in the works. i am wondering if this should have been disclosed at the time of sale. the previous land owner and the real estate agent could get into some doodoo over this.
that might be something to look into actually.

it is impossible to stop the expropriation (barring any archeological discoveries, that is) and it should be either MoT or Translink but apparently it is the City of Richmond dealing with it... i think the reason is due to the heavy truck traffic accessing the Port and industrial area near the cement plant. all Ports in the Vancouver area are growing and this industrial area is growing really fast.

they might have to consider any and all "damages" i would think, including loss or disruption of business during construction. let the documentation begin!

·
I might be dangerous!
1,043 Posts
VanDave said:
If you want to delay the construction, go buy some native artifacts and bury them under your parking lot. That should shut down construction for a few years at least.:devillook
Do that and also get the Department of Fisheries and Oceans on your side by digging a ditch along your property and putting salmon in it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts