BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title states. What do you guys think of the knock out qualifying and all the other revisions for the 2006 season. I am so excited, I think the knockout will be great, maybe D.C. will have a little more luck qualifying again with this sytem, lol. Finally, 11 teams again like when I started watching the sport with Arrows. I am going to miss the Minardi name though. Finally, some tyre changes in the race again, so my man Kimi won't have to get screwed over by that anymore, or Montoya for that matter. Well, discuss!

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Penske, Irvine, Richards. Names that want in F1. It's the big show.

If you can't cut it qualifying you fight hard off the line and in the race. So, bring it on.

As for me, I'm a slicks and open qualifying purist. No engine penalties etc. Race the car. However times change and I'm behind the rules.

Let's rock

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
the problem is that with so much emphasis on aero developement the cars don't run well close behind each other. that means you can only really pass if the guy in front makes a mistake or you have a lot more pace, the order on the pole means a lot. reintroducing tire changes might make for some more passing in the pits though. They really should go back to the old 45 minute 12 lap session. With this new system there is a lot of room for the teams to fool around with settings and fuel loads, might get some guys starting a few places back that are actually pretty quick for the race.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, grid position is important, and all these rules are difficult. But as far as I've known since I started watching, is that this is what modern F1 is. The formula is winning within the ridiculous amount of ridiculous rules they have.

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
New qualifying rules will be interesting. Can't wait to see how it works. It'll make the Sat qualifying more entertaining, but Friday attendance might tank because of it.

Tire changes are a good thing. Too bad the FIA decided to go against Michelin. They had a lot of good points on how a single tire is cheaper. I also feel that a single tire supplier is a silly idea. Why not just introduce restricted tire testing? Works in the WRC.

The only new team that I can see is a Prodrive team. Maybe Penske. Prodrive is going full swing for their new F1 team. Possibly backed by another make? Rumours of Audi/VW entering F1. Maybe even Subaru? Prodrive has strong ties with Subaru.... lots to think about.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is true Kimi and Montoya may have done it to themselves a little. They both drive VERY hard. But is that not what racing is about? Driving hard and being the best at the sport? Um, Dru. There is another team right now as far as I can see. An all Japanese team, Takuma Sato and another guy on there. Are you just lost? :roflmao

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
Um, Dru. There is another team right now as far as I can see. An all Japanese team, Takuma Sato and another guy on there. Are you just lost? :roflmao
I am in Japan... so I guess I am a little lost... :imwithstu

Actually, I was thinking in terms of 2008 and beyond. Super Aguri is a supid name. Aguri is way too close to Ugly and chances of a top 10 finish are minimal. Oh well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe they are called Super Aguri because the head of it is Suzuki Aguri. Or something like that. Yea, I hope they get more teams definately, get all the Nascar fans to stop bitching about "not enough passing" I hope and wouldn't be surprised if Super Aguri did not too badly. I believe the old Arrows car did somewhat alright with all the mid runners sometimes. And I believe that is the car they are using to start the season. They only have 2 Chassis and are using the old Arrows development centre or something. Good luck to them!

·
The new kid
359 Posts
I'm looking forward to the new knockout scheme. Can you imagine all 20 odd car on the grid all at once?

Do you remember when they had an hour and 12 flying laps to set their qualifying times? What a waste of time waiting for the top teams to stroll onto the track with hardly 20 minutes to go.

Now there's no stopping the clock, even if qualifying is red flagged due to an accident. Everyone's going out immediately in the first 15 minute segment, simply to put a hot lap in before the mayhem unfolds. I can see a lot of the top drivers in faster cars being held up by the slower cars, especially with today's aero packages. Bring it on! :rockon

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I hope and wouldn't be surprised if Super Aguri did not too badly. I believe the old Arrows car did somewhat alright with all the mid runners sometimes. And I believe that is the car they are using to start the season.
Yea but that chassis is like 8 years old, and a 1 year old chassis isn't competitive, and wasn't designed for a v8 (smaller engine and cooling needs ie:sidepods) or current aero rules. It'd be nice to have another team doing well but without a hell of a lot of financial backing new teams aren't going to get anywhere near the front of the grid.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, you never know. THey must be competitive enough for the FIA to allow them to race.

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
Ah, you never know. THey must be competitive enough for the FIA to allow them to race.
Well the FIA removed the 107% qualifying rule in 2003, as long as you meet the technical regulations and pay the $40 mil deposit the FIA will let you run.

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
I believe they are called Super Aguri because the head of it is Suzuki Aguri. Or something like that. Yea, I hope they get more teams definately, get all the Nascar fans to stop bitching about "not enough passing" I hope and wouldn't be surprised if Super Aguri did not too badly. I believe the old Arrows car did somewhat alright with all the mid runners sometimes. And I believe that is the car they are using to start the season. They only have 2 Chassis and are using the old Arrows development centre or something. Good luck to them!
I've been on top of the F1 news for the last little bit. Here's what's up with SA.

First, they are operating the old Arrows. It's an emergency measure to allow them to race the first 3 races. It also givess them the opportunity to test their systems even further. Considering they have less than 500km of testing, they need all the time they can get.

After the first 3 races, they'll have their own chassis. Hence only 2 cars at the moment. It's taking too much time to develop their first chassis right away.

Sato is happy with the car, but I'm sure he's just happy with any car. :) His team mate Yui(?) is probably scared. No F1 experience will be a challenge, but I'm sure he'll be capable on the track. Maybe expect a few surprises from SA at the end of the year when their chassis is finally up to spec.

My pick of the year is Montoya. He's out to prove something. Plus, I like the chrome. :rockon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Super Aguri's second driver is Ide. He is 31 years old and has plenty of Formual experience, just not Formula 1. I believe he will do well, he is a good vet for the team even without his F1 experience. He came second in the championship of last years Formula Nippon.

I still gotta say. My pick is Kimi Raikkonen, this guy's been my favourite since I started watching him race, before he was doing so well too. He has come too close the last couple years. If his team could put a reliable car under him, he will take it. And Alonso knows this, he didn't deserve the title last year. Talented driver, of course. Formula 1 champion, I think not...

Dru said:
I've been on top of the F1 news for the last little bit. Here's what's up with SA.

First, they are operating the old Arrows. It's an emergency measure to allow them to race the first 3 races. It also givess them the opportunity to test their systems even further. Considering they have less than 500km of testing, they need all the time they can get.

After the first 3 races, they'll have their own chassis. Hence only 2 cars at the moment. It's taking too much time to develop their first chassis right away.

Sato is happy with the car, but I'm sure he's just happy with any car. :) His team mate Yui(?) is probably scared. No F1 experience will be a challenge, but I'm sure he'll be capable on the track. Maybe expect a few surprises from SA at the end of the year when their chassis is finally up to spec.

My pick of the year is Montoya. He's out to prove something. Plus, I like the chrome. :rockon

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
StagnantWaterPo said:
My pick is Kimi Raikkonen, /QUOTE]

Definetly, if mclaren has a decent aero/chassis package and mercedes can manage to keep their engine from blowing then Kimi will be the one to watch.

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
I've now seen the qualifying. My opinion is that it may penalize the slow teams by giving them less track time. However, Super Aguri went out more on Friday than pretty much every other team and probably made up the time there. It was interesting to watch, but the action is really only the last 5 minutes... keep in mind I was sleep deprived when I watched qualifying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts