BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the cam chain tensioner on my F4i for the second time this season...
Aparently after about 1000k's they go to shit...the only problem resulting is the vibration that occurs between 5000 and 7000 RPM's ...
Does anyone know what else can be done to fix this besides changing the part every 3 months?

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Not clear what you had to do: replace the cam chain OR adjust the tensioner?

Eiher way, this does not sound like something that should be part of your "regular maintenance schedule"! :confused

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Go for a manual aftermarket one. I understand that many people that put these in, adjusted once and haven't touched it since. At worst you might have to tweak it once a season.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I had mine changed in February, and it's starting to rattle again.

I don't think that the part will actually fail, but the sound is definately annoying. It's starting to piss me off too. As far as I can tell the only options are:
1. Keep replacing stock CCT every few months (until your warranty expires).
2. Get extremely loud exhaust so you can't hear the CCT.
3. Purchase and install a manual CCT and adjust it yourself.

I haven't looked into it too much yet, but I think the manual CCT is the way to go.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a manual CCT on my Suzuki and it seems to work really well. It was installed for less parasitic losses before I bought the bike. I would definitely consider doing it to my next street bike.

L

·
0 Posts
Yep....Just got mine replaced at RMS yesterday. IOm just waiting for that rattling to start again. I think while im under warranty Ill see how many I can get out of them, and after that Ill go to a manual tensioner for peace of mind.

·
ice cream poser
782 Posts
That's exactly how i'm approaching my situation. Replaced only once, but it's starting to rattle again, that bitch. gonna keep doing it until warranty expires and then i'll get a manual one.

Can someone clear this up - what is being replaced? What does the CCT look like and what causes the rattle? I'm guessing the chain goes slack for some reason? What do you adjust on a manual one?

Thanks....

Lowside.ca said:
Yep....Just got mine replaced at RMS yesterday. IOm just waiting for that rattling to start again. I think while im under warranty Ill see how many I can get out of them, and after that Ill go to a manual tensioner for peace of mind.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
Do you guys know which revision of the CCT you have been getting as replacements? The latest revision is supposed to be good, but maybe not.

Mine is acting up now too, even though my bike is an F4.

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the same one..the new and improved version is not available yet!

C

·
0 Posts
FloMan said:
Got the same one..the new and improved version is not available yet!
when will it be available, and will it be available under warranty???

by the way, does this rattle have serious negative results to performance, longevity of bike, eventual major damage or ANYTHING?>?.... or is it just nothing more than an annoyance?

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been told ( by the dealership mechanics mind you) that it doesn't affect anything...it's just annoying ...What it does ( to my bike atleast) it sends this small rattle or vibration through the whole bike...it feels like the farings arent put on tight...

The new one should be available anyday now...

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as a matter of fact you should call mark at richmond motorsports and ask if it's available yet..he's an awsome guy..he runs the shop( I think)

L

·
0 Posts
Are you guys saying that there is another one being released that is newer than the J22 part??? The original was the J21 and honda tried to re-engineer it and came out with the J22 part. I havent heard of another one being released, but if it is the case I hope they have fixed it. The J22 IS supposed to be a little better, but it still goes bad(maybe lasts about twice as long).

As far as performance goes, just the rattling at first wont do anything but annoy the hell out of you. But if it eventually failed on you, and the cam chain went slack enough to jump a tooth or more, you'd be in for some nice engine work. I wouldnt let it go for too long if it was me.

Lets hope they will FINALLY release a good part to put an end to all this.

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know the code of the part but I replaced mine on in the last week of may and they still didn't have the new and improved one at that point but they were expecting it any day...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Here's a page with a pic of one on it. As you can see it's pretty simple and very..... uh..... manual in it's design.

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The truth is starting to drip out...

It's funny that everyone at honda and at the dealearships are saying that the only thing that it causes is annoyance, when in fact technicians that have no loyality to honda say that it can ruin your engine.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
weeelllll, I don't think it's going to ever get as bad as jumping the teeth on the sprocket. It would have to be so loose that you couldn't stand to hear it running before that happened.

From a buddy that works on rebuilding engines it's really more of a wear issue. If it's free to slap around the chain is going to wear at a faster than normal rate. This results in the commonly used term "stretching". Chains don't stretch, they wear and it's the wear that causes the pin distances to increase but it LOOKS like it's stretched. But this wear will result in the timing being off and your engine not running right as a result. Also with the chain slapping around it's going to wear the cam chain runner sooner than normal which just makes the cam chain run looser.

From what I've heard the manual tensioners work so well and need so little attention that I'm surprised more bikes don't just come with them as standard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts