Been riding since 1985
1,609 Posts
That looks like something easie to install, just
2 bolts on the side, thats it?
Where is the CCT located on the F4i?

·
Choose freely.
511 Posts
I'll have to check my service manual, but I hear it can be done an easy or a hard way. The hard way is most likely the best way.

M

·
0 Posts
Same thing happend to mine at 3600km, warranty will replace it but it will still happen again unless its changed to manual tensioner

L

·
0 Posts
I put my manual CCT lifter in at about 9000km after going through 3 stock ones. Piece of cake to put in and adjust. Dnt waste your time with the stock ones unless you are still covered by warranty.

Got mine from NRC Racing out of Ontario.

M

·
0 Posts
go to imperial talk to Gord i think he has a manual tensioner for an f4i lying around there.

·
What we play is life.
730 Posts
This is a common problem with all CBR's. I had this same problem with my F1 as well. I'm not sure if it's just a bad design with their automatic CCT, or other manufacturer's use manual CCT and don't have this problem.

Here is an excerpt from a site

"I hear a rattling and grinding sound when I first start my CBR600(F,F2,F3...). Sometimes it goes away right away, sometimes not, sometimes it does it all the time.… What's the problem?

If your bike sounds like someone tossed a handful of marbles into the internals of your engine every time you start it up and sometimes it goes away right away and sometimes not, most likely you have a bad cam chain tensioner (CCT)—a common problem with CBR600's. Fixing it is easy and will take the average guy a half hour.

The OEM CCT tightens the cam chain hydraulically. A manual CCT is, well, adjusted manually. OEM is approximately $120ish and will probably fail again in the next few years, a manual CCT is $45 and will out last your bike. Not a tough choice.

Manual CCTs can be bought from several sources. Once you have it, remove the right side lower fairing. To the rear and toward the center of the bike from where the clutch cable bracket fastens to the engine, you will see an ovalish looking part about 3 inches across fastened to the engine with 2 bolts. That is your CCT. Remove the clutch cable bracket makes it easier to get to the CCT. Remove the 2 bolts and the CCT comes right out. I was able to reuse the gasket with no problem.

Put the manual CCT in place and tighten the 2 bolts to spec. The manual CCT instructions say that in order to properly adjust it, you have to measure the slack of the cam chain, which would involve major disassembly. The method that I and others have used is to tighten the adjuster until you feel tension. Start the bike and listen for the rattle. The rattle should be gone, if not, tighten the CCT until the noise is gone. Loosen it until you just start to hear the rattle, then slowly tighten until its gone. Shut off the bike and tighten about ¾ to 1 additional turn and tighten down the lock nut. Reassemble. Ride! "

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey...
i've got about just under 14K on my bike and i've noticed the noise since i've bought the thing. it's kinda annoying but does it affect the overall performance of the bike? in other words, if i don't fix it, is my bike gonna blow up (just a figure of speech)?

Peace

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
talked to honda today they will only replace the cct with the stock one how lame !! putting a part back in that they know will fail in another 3000 kms , on my bike 03 f4i has only 3400 k's and its been doing it since 2800 k's , ill get the warranty done but after the warranty is gone im down with the manual one , by the way on my 1973 honda cb 750 it has a manual tensioner , stock one still perfect.

im all for manual tensioners !!!

M

·
0 Posts
I just ordered a Manual CCT from Winners circle in ontario, $85CND and $6.95 for shipping, 1-905-475-2552.

Does anyone have any advice on the install or should it be pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I talked to my shop, they said that the noise is common and not a problem for the F4I, that it was a problem with old F4 but shouldn't be an issue with the new model.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
lol, what shop told you that??

CBR600's have had CCT problems from the start (1987). F4i's have it the worst. RR's might be better, but it's too early to conclude that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
what shop can do the manual CCT
and which shop can do it properly?
or has done it before that someone here can vouch for and trust
for us f4i owners to take it there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did mine last weekend, I bought the part from whole shot on 200th (they ordered it). With the CCT and the Gasket my total was 70$. I didn't by the manual one because I didn't feel like taking my right fairing off a lot (as well as the tank) to adjust it so I just bought the hydraulic/stock one.
Here are the directions:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81780

BE WARNED, if you get the stock CCT part, you will need to save the old bolt to use on the new one, and it is a bitch to screw. PS invest in a friend with very small hands.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts