BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Reviving the dead here. Lol.*

I've heard the cam chain on my '01 ever so faintly but I've noticed it right around that 5-6k mark. I don't think many would ever notice it it's far from bad. Which is why I want to address it now. Curious if any current or past owners have an opinion on going manual or if the new oem replacement is actually 'improved'? *Bike has 40k on it currently. No idea if it's ever been changed before or not.*

·
Registered
593 Posts
I know there's tons of interest on here for my 18 year old bike. But thought I'd update anyways.*:coffee

After exhaustive research I decided to go with the APE pro manual adjuster. As I've mentioned before on here I've been wrenching my whole life so the adjusting of it and all doesn't scare me. I concluded that I had zero faith that honda actually rectified the issue with their 'updated' tensioners and figure I'd rather be able to adjust it slightly if I ever hear it again.

*It just came in today and I'm currently waiting on a fuel pressure regulator too. Another super common f4i issue. Mine went bad and was causing hard starts and boggy shifts unless flogging it hard. So no rush on getting it in as I'm not riding it until the fpr comes in as I don't want to foul my plugs , wash my cylinders, dilute my oil, etc, etc. Figure I'd like to do the fine adjustment running and no sense running it at all until the fpr is sorted. So putting new chain and sprockets on my wife's bike today. *35k out of the original set, not bad. *Luckily we went camping for a week while waiting on these parts as 'sharing' one bike isn't working out!

·
Registered
593 Posts
FPR finally came in. I felt as if I was dying a little each day waiting for it!

I put the APE pro manual tensioner in and I can say now that it's been in and run and 'tuned' I'm really glad I went the route I did. Swapping cctl's on this bike is a pita so I'm happy I'll not be having to do it again. Adjusting it is a cinch so I'm not worried about if I ever need to adjust it again. Easy peasy. I was able to adjust it by hand and even if in the future I need to use a Allen key it'll be easy.

I've only run it on the stand so far as I'm waiting on new plugs to arrive tomorrow to swap them out before I button everything up. I suspect the fpr has been going ever since I've owned the bike so I think fresh plugs are in order even though laser iridium plugs are stupidly priced. My bike has always had a slip on on it and it's my understanding that if anything it should have produced a slightly lean condition but nothing really to worry about. But I've always noticed the bike seemed to have run a little bit rich but ran fine, good throttle response and no starting issues so didn't worry about it. But then it somewhat suddenly seeming got quite a bit worse, hard starts(had to give it a little throttle to 'catch' ) and bogging at lower rpm/load shifts.*

Anyways looks like I'll be back up and running just in time for the long weekend! *Hwy 6 here I come!!!*

41 - 44 of 44 Posts