BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
that section of Russ baker way is a bit tricky, it's a gong show when someone is stopped waiting to merge,'cars behind going around them and right lane traffic trying to get into bcit parking lot.

What's ironic is that bus lane isn't or rarely used now since Canada line shut down the express buses.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
I had what I think is similar...

Road test in Surrey... turn right at an intersection and the new lane is a right turn only into the complex there. Had to change to next lane right away... I just changed to curb lane and moved over asap. They said it was ok.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
You made me go look..... :D
First off, it's a bus lane, not an HOV lane. Here's the sign right on the corner as you're turning from Gilbert onto Russ Baker Way.

[ IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/Mikey9/IMG_0595.jpg[/IMG]

Secondly, I watched for the turnoff to get into the right turn lane for the next intersection and there's no doubt about it....it's a really shitty move to put into a learner's road test and is quite a trap. However, like anything else, you'll know better next time. It's a very good "heads up" to anyone taking their test in Richmond in future.
Hehe, I'm glad you satisfied your curiosity though! And ya, my bad, I just say HOV when I see the diamonds. I'm a Toronto kid, the 401/400 doesn't have those anyways.

Edit: If I want to do another roadtest with PRS I'm booked for september 24th...do you think I should just do it myself? I really want this over with ASAP...I'm on a Ninja 650R, would that be okay for the uturns?

Also, if I'm already booked with PRS, and decided to book myself, would that fly, or would I need to cancel with PRS first? Not really sure how they book with ICBC...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the test just after you. thanks for the tip. It saved me and got my 6.
Hope you pass in September.. Ride safely//

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Edit: If I want to do another roadtest with PRS I'm booked for september 24th...do you think I should just do it myself? I really want this over with ASAP...I'm on a Ninja 650R, would that be okay for the uturns?
I personally think it's best to do the test on your own bike as that's probably the bike you're most comfortable on. U-turns should be no problem on any bike as long as you're used to it. I can do U-turns on my SV no problem

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the city has removed that bus lane marking and made the merge lane a lot longer. Whoever put the bus lane there as part of the merge lane should lose his job in the first place. Completely idiotic.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just did my road test yesterday at Surrey. Prior to the test, I was advised by the examiner that if I could not hear the instruction clear or if I was too late to make a turn on the requested intersection, I could just do it on the next intersection when its safe and legal.

During the test, I couldn't make couple turns by his request and I just did them for the following intersections. ICBC have no problems with that at all.

The examiner told me he absolutely won't "trick" me. I suggest that you should just make the turn when its safe and legal (don't give a $hit which intersection). As long as its a safe and legal turn, they can not ding you for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WRONG INFORMATION ABOVE.

They are permitted only in HOV where it says they are permitted.

Anything else is a ticket.
BZZZT! Motorcycles in BC are always permitted in HOV lanes. More specifically, they are, along with emergency vehicles etc, exempt from requirement that they must qualify as high occupancy vehicle in order to use HOV lane. References:

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_58_13 (section 42.02 and 42.03)

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/newsreleases/NRmotorcycleHOVlane.htm

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/using-hov-lanes

Reserved lanes with diamond symbol like bus lanes are another story.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I think the city has removed that bus lane marking and made the merge lane a lot longer. Whoever put the bus lane there as part of the merge lane should lose his job in the first place. Completely idiotic.
The bus lane and signs are still there....so beware anyone taking their test in Richmond.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I dug up this thread because I'm going for my road test in Richmond on Monday, anyone here knows the road test route? I want to ride around for a bit, I live in surrey I'm not so fimiliar with Richmond roads, so if there's a standard route you know of please share!!!

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I dug up this thread because I'm going for my road test in Richmond on Monday, anyone here knows the road test route? I want to ride around for a bit, I live in surrey I'm not so fimiliar with Richmond roads, so if there's a standard route you know of please share!!!

Go to the licencing office and wait until one rider goes for his test and follow them.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
BZZZT! Motorcycles in BC are always permitted in HOV lanes. More specifically, they are, along with emergency vehicles etc, exempt from requirement that they must qualify as high occupancy vehicle in order to use HOV lane. References:
Reserved lanes with diamond symbol like bus lanes are another story.
Oh crap, I didn't know that.

·
Foreign Devil
1,794 Posts
1. They take multiple routes. 2. They will stop and tell you to get lost. Had a buddy try that and the instructors pulled over and yelled at him.
"Gosh, Mr. Instructor person, I didn't know you owned all these roads! I thought they were for public use!"

I'd tell him where to go and continue riding where I want.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
"Gosh, Mr. Instructor person, I didn't know you owned all these roads! I thought they were for public use!"

I'd tell him where to go and continue riding where I want.
...... And when he tests you next good luck.

·
Braaaaaaaaaap!
138 Posts
Heads up there is construction going on along Russ Baker Way (looks like they are dumping pre-load for a big new development) and they have put cones up along the bus lane until just before the turn off for Cessna Drive.

If you are taking your road test, make sure you take a dry run along there before hand. There is very little space between the last cone and the turnoff, and there are often big dump trucks hanging out in the bus lane.

I am very sympathetic to the OP on the grounds that I have been known to display some uncharacteristically bad behavior in that area during heavy rush hour traffic. :devillook

21 - 40 of 44 Posts