BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fallen Friend, Husband, Father, and "RIDER" - Sea to Sky Saturday - RIP Rick Sanchez

I don't know any of the details... my father called me and asked if I was riding up the Sea 2 Sky today as I had picked up my bike yesterday and had not brought it back to their place (its being kept in their garage until warmer weather and I ride more often) as he had heard on the radio...

Sea 2 Sky is closed down due to multiple bike accident and several vehicles as well. Possible rider caught under vehicle having to be medivac (sp?) out and to hospital. I don't know of anyone who was planning on riding up there today, but I sure hope that whoever was involved is OKAY!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
R1 GIRL said:
I don't know any of the details... my father called me and asked if I was riding up the Sea 2 Sky today as I had picked up my bike yesterday and had not brought it back to their place (its being kept in their garage until warmer weather and I ride more often) as he had heard on the radio...

Sea 2 Sky is closed down due to 4(!!!) bike accident and several vehicles as well. Possible rider caught under vehicle having to be medivac (sp?) out and to hospital. I don't know of anyone who was planning on riding up there today, but I sure hope that whoever was involved is OKAY!!
There was a ride posted. Hope it's not anyone from here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
CKNW.COM reports one fatality and someone still stuck in the wreckage.

VANCOUVER (CKNW AM/980) - There has been a serious crash on the sea to sky highway.
Emergency crews are responding this hour to what appears to be a collision involving a motorcycle and a truck.

There are reports of one fatality and someone still trapped in the wreckage.
The highway will likely be closed in both directions as a helicopter is brought in.

The crash occurred about 10 kilometres north of Lions Bay.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the FOX just aannounced one fatailty and that the HWY is reported to be closed for the next 4 hrs...minimum .... that was about 20 minutes ago (2:15pm).

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Hornet17 said:
The crash occurred about 10 kilometres north of Lions Bay.

I was heading up to Squamish and the traffic was stopped at the start of the first passing lane past Lions Bay (the uphill S bend) around 12:45, with no traffic coming the other way (southbound). At that point, there was no accident scene in sight. I waited for a couple of minutes and turned around and headed back to town. When I saw 2 ambulances scream past me (going north) half way between Lions Bay and Horseshoe Bay, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach... hoping it wasn't a serious accident. One ambulance is OK for smaller incidents, but 2 screaming by with lights/sirens blaring is not a good sight - it also means they are pulling extra ambulances from West Van (in addition to the ambulance based in Lions Bay). With the talk of folks putting their plates on this week, there were surprisingly few bikes on the road today.

Hope the reports of a fatality are wrong - the road is in great shape, no salt, no ice just a couple of damps spots in the shadows, but it is still damn cold - my thermometer showed 4 deg C when I stopped past Lions Bay in the traffic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I insured my bike for the year on Wednesday... riding mid-day at the day's warmest and back by dusk

be careful people!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fear_ said:
be careful people!
I second that! I got a day pass for today and was thinking of heading up that way. So glad I didn't. Ended up just hooliganing around downtown. Saw a huge police and fire scene on Oak and 70th on the west side of the road. Possible meth lab bust, I'm thinkin. Haz mat team was on scene there.

I'm so over the S2S, and what's happened there today is exactly the reason why. :surrender Accidents that happen on that road never seem to be minor. It's shitty.

Ride safe, kids!

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
oceanoasis said:
Ended up just hooliganing around downtown.
Much safer. No one ever crashes in the city.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
Much safer. No one ever crashes in the city.
Did I say that? I didn't think so.

I am well aware that accidents can happen ANYWHERE, however I feel that I would rather risk an accident downtown (if I had to have one, which I DO NOT), than on the S2S. The results may, or may not be the same (ie. death, hospital time), but for me, there is just something about riding that road that makes me just a bit more cautious. Perhaps it's the blind corners, or the oncoming drivers who can't keep to their side of the road. It's hard to put a finger on it.

Whatever the case, it's only a personal opinion, and not a hard and true fact. Ride where you want, but use your melon while your out there.

·
???????
908 Posts
oceanoasis said:
Did I say that? I didn't think so.

I am well aware that accidents can happen ANYWHERE, however I feel that I would rather risk an accident downtown (if I had to have one, which I DO NOT), than on the S2S.
Cuz going off the road is so much worse then getting taken out by some no mind in a Stupid Useless Vehicle?

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
fuck.. great timing peoples...my thoughts with there families.

its like freakin less than 10'C.. do you think your tires have traction!! especially in the shade going up S2S.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i was the one that posted the ride out to lions bay...my buddy n i made it out alright...we never went to s2s. thnx for the concern though

·
Sure, yep, lets ride...
478 Posts
I was out with a seperate and unrealate group of riders when we came upon the scene at Tunnel Point (the short passing lane just past Lions Bay). It was a bad way to start the season. One rider went down fatally his bike was unrecongnizable to the point where you'd be hard pressed to tell front from back. A second rider was pinned under a truck for some time, I didn't look to see what type of bike he was riding. A third rider on what looked to be a Ducati Supersport 900 came away uninjured. The rider under the truck was oriented and lucid, and the truck he was under was moving slowly or at a near stop by the time he was pinned (hearsay from another on the scene who attended him). Two other vehicles, a truck and a SUV, appear to have been incidentially involved.

Anything I post on the accident would be speculation based on the conversations and what I saw at the scene, and frankly I'm not an expert on such things not being an accident investigator. Leave it at this, it was morbid, saddening, and the worst of days despite the sunshine.

I will say this, be careful out there. This is a tragic way to begin the season, for those riders, their families and the riding community.

If I never see another rider covered by a yellow tarp in a pool of blood on the road it will be to soon. It drives home the "for keeps" nature of the sport we choose to participate in.

Rest in Peace Rider.

The opening up of the Sea to Sky is causing a tremendous bottleneck at the corner in question where a short passing lane is catching cars off guard. Drivers seem conditioned to expect an unchallenging corner like the rest of the Sea to Sky has become, compete to get past each other in this section and find their skills or common sense fail them. Oddly it feels like more caution needs to be exercised on the revised Sea to Sky these days despite the road being a simpler ride or drive.

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
beaterdx said:
i was the one that posted the ride out to lions bay...my buddy n i made it out alright...we never went to s2s. thnx for the concern though

Glad you guys are OK. My thoughts go out to the families. Be safe out there this year boys and girls. It's early in the season.

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
My mom called me today and told me there was a serious accident on the S2S involving several bikes and I should check out the website to see if it was anyone I knew. Apparently the riders were riding close together and their handlebars hit and they went down. This is what was stated on the radio, nothing is confirmed as of yet.

My parents are already nervous about me riding...and stories like this arent helping my case that riding isnt that bad. Please people, ride safe...especially in areas that are known to be high accident roads like the S2S.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
SILVER_6R said:
its like freakin less than 10'C.. do you think your tires have traction!!
I know this answer. The problem is so many of us are diehard riders that the first sign of great weather we wanna ride. Keep in mind its not spring weather so the roads are cold. If I kept that in mind I'd be ok, but as you all know from my thread last night Im a victim of cold road and cold tires. Save it for spring people!

I hope everyone is OK too.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.