BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what options I had for securing my race bodywork onto the bike, it didn't come with any fasteners....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stock body work is held up by screws....I don't really wnat use screws as it's time consuming taking them in and out.....was looking for something with a clip or I dunno, never really paid attention as to what race bodywork is held up by....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
For the most part your bike uses 6mm screws of different lengths for most of the main mounting points. The rest of the lighter duty stuff like the windshield and lower rad opening piece is held in my 5mm screws into those little rubber grommet nuts.

The racing plastic doens't use all the little screws between parts so you can use whatever you want.

What I'm going to do is standardize on 6 mm screws and nuts and just buy a 5 mm hex socket bit to fit on my 1/4 inch drive speedwrench. It won't be as fast as 1/4 turn fasteners but it's a helluva lot cheaper and almost as fast.

I'm going to find some nice button head (as in a wide shallow dome shape) with hex recess so they don't wear out as fast. I figure both you and I will need 2 or 3 sizes. A box of 100 usually goes for about $8-12 in this size range. If you're interested we can split the boxes between us so you'll get what you need along with a lifetime supply of spares for about $18-24. Or you can buy just a 1/4 of the total which will give you a few spares for whatever that works out to and I'll sell a few to some other racers. Howzat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever you like Bruce, will buy 1/2 or 1/4, anything is fine with me, thanks... :D:D:D
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
fasteners

Another observation from a long time corner worker-put a piece of duct tape over your fairing screws,then they won`t work themselves out.Every race weekend,I find at least half a dozen fairing screws on the track(at PR)...............ken.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
Re: fasteners

auger said:
Another observation from a long time corner worker-put a piece of duct tape over your fairing screws,then they won`t work themselves out.Every race weekend,I find at least half a dozen fairing screws on the track(at PR)...............ken.
Gotcha, thanks. :thumbup
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
fantastic idea. i am gonna do that to the pocketbikes too. they lose half a dozen screws between them every weekend.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
doug said:
fantastic idea. i am gonna do that to the pocketbikes too. they lose half a dozen screws between them every weekend.
Shake like a Harley do they? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Zip ties is the way to go if your gunna track it all the time?
cost next to nuthin,and can be removed in a quick snip of side cutter's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
PH-Q2 said:
Zip ties is the way to go if your gunna track it all the time?
cost next to nuthin,and can be removed in a quick snip of side cutter's.
Yeah, I got lots of suggestions about this being good because it lets the plastic bend better so it actually breaks less. But where they mount to the bike it still needs screws.......... or did you set it up with something else? If so did you make up some new brackets so there are two holes everywhere for the ties to loop around?

The old fairings don't lack for zip ties. There's a reason I called it my Frankenbike. There's a couple of cracks on it that are held together with a stitch line of small holes and zip ties....... :D


Gonna run the old stuff until it just turns into powder and then I'll put on the racing plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
If ya put a small bolt where the big OEM fastner goes into(on the frame) and put a big washer ,with two holes in it(to put the zip tie through) and mount it to the frame ,the small bolt and the big washer become part of the bike,and you just mount your plastic or glass to the washer. It works for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
PH-Q2 said:
If ya put a small bolt where the big OEM fastner goes into(on the frame) and put a big washer ,with two holes in it(to put the zip tie through) and mount it to the frame ,the small bolt and the big washer become part of the bike,and you just mount your plastic or glass to the washer. It works for me.
I'll have a look at that. I may not be able to use it that way all over but I can think of some other ideas now too. Thanks :thumbup
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top